Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

All Things Writing > Serials

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
I read somewhere that there is a magic number when it comes to word count with blog posts. 500. Which nearly all my blogs have been and its completely coincidence.

I'm looking to do a serial while A Dance With Fury is being edited. Thing is, I have no idea what to aim for when it comes to word count. I don't want to bombard the readers one week with thousands of words, then make them wait a month for the next 500.

So, writers and readers of serials, what amount do you like?

message 2: by David (new)

David Thirteen (davidjthirteen) Bisky, when I first started my serialized novel, I aimed for between 800 and 1200 words for each installment (I post once a week). It has expended over time as the chapters have gotten more complex and the style has developed. Now it is about 2500-3000 words per installment. None of my readers have complained. In fact the few I asked didn't seem to notice the slow increase in length.

However, it was much easier to produce the shorter chapters once a week. I used to have time for side projects but not anymore. All my writing time is spent on this project, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but something that should be factored in.

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments I don't worry about my word count while writing my serial. Most end up being in the 500 - 1500 range. I try to limit each entry to 1 scene in the story. I think of where I want to stop and try to write up to that point. If the scene is very short then I'll write a second one. If the scene is too long then I'll write until the wee hours of the AM then try to find a good stopping point before I pass out. I update mine weekly. If you're going to do monthly then I would make it longer. around 4,000 words would probably be a good minimum goal for a monthly.

message 4: by David (new)

David Thirteen (davidjthirteen) A little off topic, but another thing you should consider is whether you are going to have a regular posting day or post your installments as they are ready. I know author's who do both and I can't say that one is more successful than the other. Although readers do tend to prefer frequent posting rather then sporadic ones. And long gaps of inactivity can make people forget about your story.

But if you do decide on a regular posting schedule, I highly recommend keeping a chapter lead - have several chapters written ahead of your posting. I read this tip just before I started and it has been invaluable in keeping to the time table (I always have something to post even when I don't have time to write) as well as plotting (it is so much easier to go back and slip in a plot point when you haven't published the chapter yet).

message 5: by Bisky (new)

Thanks for the info guys :3 It was really helpful. I was planning on writing 5 chapters before I post it just to makesure I don't leave everyone hanging xP

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments Can't wait to read it! I would definitely recommend updating often. Especially if you have a younger audience or if you're posting it on wattpad. If your audience is older then monthly should be fine, and you can remind them through your email list.

message 7: by David (new)

David Thirteen (davidjthirteen) Bisky, now I'm anxious to read it. Get cracking ;)

message 8: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments I've been posting chapters of my current series from the beginning and I have no idea of the word count but I've been aiming for about 15 pages for each chapter. Then again it's not intended to be a serial per se, so this may be a bit long for what you are considering.

message 9: by Bisky (new)

Thanks :] I'm planning on finishing most of my school work next week so I can focus on it for a while >:3