Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Favorites > Walter Mosley

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ava (new)

Ava I have been on an Easy Rawlins kick this winter season. I read Black Betty in college and chose to become reacquainted with Easy. Devil in a Blue Dress was very good. I enjoy discovering the struggles of African-American's in Mosley's books. He paints such a vivid picture.

message 2: by Shannon (last edited Feb 13, 2014 01:03PM) (new)

Shannon I've been to two of his author events and enjoyed myself. But for some reason I haven't been compelled to read his books right away. I did read The Tempest Tales because my dad sent it to me. I enjoyed the book but didn't love the ending. The next book I'll read by him will beFortunate Son.

I recently read If He Hollers Let Him Goby Chester Himes. I learned about him through a Mosaic Magazine article. He was writing about black crime/mystery before Mosley. I'll read more of his books for sure. I've already created a shelf for his Harlem Cycle series.

message 3: by HKelleyB (new)

HKelleyB (hkelleyb-editor) | 7 comments I absolutely love Walter Mosley!

I have read all of his Easy Rawlins Mysteries, most of his standalone novels, some of his non-fiction books, and a few of his sci-fi books.

And, I have been to several of his readings. He is a great storyteller, both in person and in his writings.

I can't sing his praises loud enough!

message 4: by Lindor (new)

Lindor Joelle | 27 comments Ava wrote: "I have been on an Easy Rawlins kick this winter season. I read Black Betty in college and chose to become reacquainted with Easy. Devil in a Blue Dress was very good. I enjoy discovering the strugg..."

Fortunate Son is one of my favorite all time novels. Ironically I haven't been able to get into any of Walter's other books.

message 5: by Nane (new)

Nane Quartay (nane_quartay) | 1 comments Walter Mosley is one of my all time favorite writers. His style speaks simple elegance. He captured me with Easy Rawlins with, what I think is the strength of his writings; his unique characters. I happily dove into more of his writings.
I was fortunate enough to meet Walter Mosley at a book signing event and spoke with him about the craft of storytelling.
The man has talent and style. Great writer.

message 6: by Myron (new)

Myron Brown | 81 comments I could never get into his writing. I've tried several times but he doesn't do it for me. He is a very visual writer from the "show don't tell" school. I'm more into writers who spend a lot of time in the characters' heads, whereas Mosley's prose reads more like a movie or a television show.

message 7: by Lata (new)

Lata | 293 comments I'm interested in reading the Easy Rawlins series, but my library doesn't have any of his books so I'm going to have to hunt around for copies. Is it critical to read these books in order?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weathersby (saraphen) | 261 comments Lata wrote: "I'm interested in reading the Easy Rawlins series, but my library doesn't have any of his books so I'm going to have to hunt around for copies. Is it critical to read these books in order?"

It isn't critical to read them in order, except for maybe the last three.

message 9: by Jewell (new)

Jewell | 9 comments Walter is one of, if not my favorite author. Yes when I read his works, I feel as if I am there. I find that his writing excites my imagination. I have read one of his non fiction works, Life Out Of Context. Will be looking to read more of his non-fiction. Lata In addition to the Easy Rawlins , he has written a Fearless Jones and a Lenid McGill series as well. Science fiction and young adult stories are also in his repertoire. As with any author, some are better than the others. Generally speaking, however, they were all worth reading as far as I am concerned. Your library may have an inter library loan department. Check with them about borrowing from branches outside of your locale.

message 10: by Jewell (new)

Jewell | 9 comments HKelleyB wrote: "I absolutely love Walter Mosley!

I have read all of his Easy Rawlins Mysteries, most of his standalone novels, some of his non-fiction books, and a few of his sci-fi books.

And, I have been to se..."

What are some titles for his non fiction works?

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 2 comments I think his Easy series should be read in order to understand how he grows through out the years.

message 12: by Lata (new)

Lata | 293 comments Thank you for the feedback. I'll look for the first book first.

message 13: by HKelleyB (new)

HKelleyB (hkelleyb-editor) | 7 comments Jewell wrote: "HKelleyB wrote: "I absolutely love Walter Mosley!

Jewell -
Some titles for his nonfiction works:

1. Workin' on the Chain Gang: Shaking Off the Dead Hand of History.
2. This Year You Write Your Novel

message 14: by Jewell (new)

Jewell | 9 comments Walt has also written a few books that are only available as e books.

message 15: by HKelleyB (new)

HKelleyB (hkelleyb-editor) | 7 comments Jewell wrote: "Walt has also written a few books that are only available as e books."

Yes. Karma and Whispers in the Dark.

message 16: by Charles (new)

Charles | 8 comments I loved his Easy Rawlins books, but his Socrates Fortlow books, especially, Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned and The Right Mistake: The Further Philosophical Investigations of Socrates Fortlow are two of my all time favorite books, period.

message 17: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 2 comments I agree Mosley's Socrates Fortlow series is more than excellent. Wish he'd write more of this series.

message 18: by Charles (new)

Charles | 8 comments I really liked Blue Light as well. It was totally out of the usual for him (I know I'm in a minority here, but I like science fiction).

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Rigg | 91 comments I like Mosley but have only read "Devil in a Blue Dress" out of all his mysteries. I ADORE his sci-fi writing, though. I enjoyed both "Blue Light" and "Futureland." The latter is a collection of short-stories, but they have overlapping characters and are all set in the same world, so it feels like a novel in some ways, as well.

message 20: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3770 comments Mod
There’s a reason Walter Mosley has his own thread to himself on LFPC. He’s just that good.

He wins the top award at The 2019 Edgar Awards for Down the River Unto the Sea. I’ve had this book awhile now but hadn’t heard any reviews from anyone. Have you read it?

https://crimereads.com/announcing-the...

message 21: by Lata (new)

Lata | 293 comments I’ve been wanting to read that book, Columbus.

message 22: by ColumbusReads (new)

Lata wrote: "I’ve been wanting to read that book, Columbus."

Oh my goodness, my age is showing. I totally forgotten I had read this book. I even reviewed it. Goodness me.

review
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 23: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2880 comments Mod
Columbus wrote: "Lata wrote: "I’ve been wanting to read that book, Columbus."

Oh my goodness, my age is showing. I totally forgotten I had read this book. I even reviewed it. Goodness me.

review
https://www.goodr..."

I also have read this book and quite enjoyed it.

Congratulations!

message 24: by Dunori (new)

Dunori | 3 comments Sarah wrote: "I like Mosley but have only read "Devil in a Blue Dress" out of all his mysteries. I ADORE his sci-fi writing, though. I enjoyed both "Blue Light" and "Futureland." The latter is a collection of sh..."

I've read "Devil in a Blue Dress" and "Blue Light" also; these are actually the only two from him I've read but plan to read more gradually. I liked both, the former a little more... it was a good confirmation that the book is always better than the movie.

message 25: by T'challa (new)

T'challa | 10 comments ColumbusReads wrote: "There’s a reason Walter Mosley has his own thread to himself on LFPC. He’s just that good.

He wins the top award at The 2019 Edgar Awards for Down the River Unto the Sea. I’ve had..."

Down the River and Unto the Sea was such a great read. The way his suspense unfolds is outstanding!

message 26: by T'challa (new)

T'challa | 10 comments I was gifted The Awkward Black Man which he released in September and it is all things good. I need to finish John Woman and I am overjoyed that Easy will be back in February. There is not a book I have not read by Walter Mosley. I saw him speak at the Schomberg Museum and it was everything a writer needs. One of my favorites has to be The Man in my Basement. BUT, Leonid McGill is gangsta!

message 27: by Beverly (new)

T'challa wrote: "I was gifted The Awkward Black Man which he released in September and it is all things good. I need to finish John Woman and I am overjoyed that Easy will be back in February. There is not a book I..."

I am becoming more a short story reader these last couple of years, and I recently read The Awkward Black Man and thought is is an excellent collection.

Yes, excited to have another Easy book coming in Feb.
Blood Grove!

message 28: by ColumbusReads (new)

Beverly wrote: "T'challa wrote: "I was gifted The Awkward Black Man which he released in September and it is all things good. I need to finish John Woman and I am overjoyed that Easy will be back in February. Ther..."

Just received The Awkward Black Man in the mail today. Won it in an Instagram giveaway. Glad you enjoyed it. I love Mosley!

message 29: by Beverly (new)

ColumbusReads wrote: "Beverly wrote: "T'challa wrote: "I was gifted The Awkward Black Man which he released in September and it is all things good. I need to finish John Woman and I am overjoyed that Easy will be back i..."

Congrats!

Happy Reading!

message 30: by ColumbusReads (new)

Walter Mosley received the Distinguished Contribution to American Letters tonight at the National Book Awards from Edwidge Danticat. I understand his speech was absolutely incredible!

message 31: by Beverly (new)

ColumbusReads wrote: "Walter Mosley received the Distinguished Contribution to American Letters tonight at the National Book Awards from Edwidge Danticat. I understand his speech was absolutely incredible!"

Yes, it was! "We, the people darker than blue."
The NBA Awards just might be the best virtual presentation award show I have watched this year.

I am sure it will be available on You Tube and is a must watch.

message 32: by ColumbusReads (new)

Beverly wrote: "ColumbusReads wrote: "Walter Mosley received the Distinguished Contribution to American Letters tonight at the National Book Awards from Edwidge Danticat. I understand his speech was absolutely inc..."

There were so many positive things said about this awards show in particular. More than I can ever recall most recently. The speech with the author and translator of the translation award; the Mosley speech and then how about the surprise fiction winner! I just picked up the Malcom x book Monday. Looks good.

message 33: by Beverly (new)

ColumbusReads wrote: "Beverly wrote: "ColumbusReads wrote: "Walter Mosley received the Distinguished Contribution to American Letters tonight at the National Book Awards from Edwidge Danticat. I understand his speech wa..."

Columbus -

I think part of the positive comments about the award is because this was planned to virtual and the handoffs were planned.

When I have watched in the past (which I appreciated) it was a live stream of a live event - so there were waits and the pause when dinner was served.

I think I now appreciate how when a winner is announced and has to walk to the stage - it gives them a moment to compose themselves.

This time we saw their initial reaction when there name is called and then they needed to speak. I did like seeing the reaction when their name was called and the joy in their face when they realized "I am the winner" - priceless.

Yes, the Malcolm X book is on my list.

I have read Tokyo Ueno Station (translated book winner) and really enjoyed it.
Also enjoyed Interior Chinatown - interesting format