The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Big Books

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, this is a new idea to me. I love a really big detailed book. I like the idea of living with the characters for a long while. Can any of you recommend fab detailed epic books. The only criteria is that they are over as a near to over 1000 pages. As I am expanding my book genres this year I would love your ideas and recommendations

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) Science Fiction: Under the Dome
High Fantasy: A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones / A Clash of Kings / A Storm of Swords / A Feast for Crows
Game of thrones books individually are not over 1000 pages (at least not in Hardcover) but as a series they most definitely are.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool Ally. I like your thinking - a series. :)

I love a series. Thanks for the recommendations - adding them to my list.

message 4: by Joanie (new)

Joanie Dugan (thealaskanyoung) Basically anything by Stephen King. 11/22/63 and Hearts In Atlantis are both really long and two of my favorites! Also the Dark Tower series. Long books and in a series. :)

message 5: by N (new)

N | 276 comments Epic long War and Peace, Les Miserables, A Suitable Boy, they have over 1000 pages and are extremely detailed! Game of Thrones series should be read by everyone on the planet by law!! The Stand especially but really most of Stephen King.

message 6: by N.D. (new)

N.D. Taylor (ndtaylor) | 11 comments If I can suggest my own book I will :) It's 99 cents at the moment on Amazon for a few more hours.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HLX4SJS
218k words, which amounts to 600 pages on a 6x9 inch novel.

message 7: by Mekerei (new)

Mekerei | 37 comments Game of Thrones series should be read by everyone on the planet by law!! The Stand especially ..."

* Any of Robin Hobb series
* Peter F Hamilton Commonwealth Saga
* Dune by Frank Herbert

Sci Fi trends to lend itself well to BIG books

message 8: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) I would second the A Game of Thrones series! I love, love, love it.

I also like Ken Follett books: The Pillars of the Earth World Without End Fall of Giants

message 9: by Shana (new)

Shana Wolfe | 38 comments I recommend "The Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan. Not one of them are under 1000 pages and there are 14 books in the series. Honestly as epic as epic can get.

LOTR, Dune, Stephen King, Les Miserable, Anna Karenina are a few others. Happy reading!!

message 10: by N.D. (new)

N.D. Taylor (ndtaylor) | 11 comments There's always Tolkien for the standard big book faire but GRRM's Game of Thrones is the current fancy that all big book lovers prefer.

message 11: by Foxwine (new)

Foxwine | 2 comments REAMDE by Neal Stephenson is a nice, thick book with a good plot and little extra padding. Also, you may want to try Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series, starting with Gardens of the Moon. It has an excellent, complex story, and each of the books is a long, hefty read.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you all. I few suggestions I have already read and enjoyed very much. Started A Suitable Boy on Wednesday. The suggestions you have provided sound interesting. Thanks so much - off to investigate them

Happy Valentine's Day to you all :)
S

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

N.D. wrote: "If I can suggest my own book I will :) It's 99 cents at the moment on Amazon for a few more hours.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HLX4SJS
218k words, which amounts to 600 pages on a 6x9 inch novel."

I have got it off Amazon.co.uk and it is sitting on my Kindle. Looks intriguing. I'll let you know how I get on with it :)

message 14: by Beatrix (last edited Feb 14, 2014 12:15PM) (new)

Beatrix Minkov (beatrixminkov) Jodi wrote: "I also like Ken Follett books: The Pillars of the Earth World Without End [..."

I agree with Jodi, Ken Follett is truly worth the effort and has a great style of writing. In his books, which are usually around 1000 pages, every sentence matters to the story. So yes, if you're looking for detailed, big books - try his series! :)

message 15: by N.D. (new)

N.D. Taylor (ndtaylor) | 11 comments Thank you very much! I'm also a BIG fan of big books, so it's what we aimed for here. I'm adding some of these novels to my to-read list too... but Game of Thrones is what I intend to digest over spring break I have a break from cramming medical studies.

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments 11/22/63 is one of my favorite big books! Along with Harry Potter and Twilight series. Even though I mostly hated the Twilight movies!

message 17: by Isabel (new)

Isabel | 10 comments You should try "The Name" of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, it has almost 1000 pages it his a series and it has romance, adventure, fantasy, mistery... it's impossible not to love it.

message 18: by -RininTa- (new)

-RininTa- (rinz) | 39 comments The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan, A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
They may not have 1000 pages but they have a long last characters :)

message 19: by N (new)

N | 276 comments Glad to hear you started a Suitable Boy - it's sequel is currently being written, a suitable girl set a couple of years later.

message 20: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) Loved A Suitable Boy and Name of the Wind

message 21: by Katie.g (new)

Katie.g | 129 comments I third Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm currently reading his second book which is 994 pages long. Another book I'd recommend is Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. It's around 1000 pages long and portrays a dark, realistic view of Mumbai in the 80's when it was still known as Bombay. It's from the point of view of an escaped Australian convict who goes to Bombay to escape the law.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Just looked up Name of the Wind - sounds wonderful - on the list
And also the news that there is to be a sequel to a Suitable has really made my day. Loving this book. Such interesting characters
Thanks once again to everyone - this is making my reading list very long in more ways than one. I have a business trip coming up soon with 8 hours each way - plenty of reading time there.

message 23: by Mekerei (new)

Mekerei | 37 comments Sarah wrote: ". I have a business trip coming up soon with 8 hours each way - plenty of reading time there."

I look forward to opportunities like this.

message 24: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 210 comments Along with everything that has been suggested here (they are all really good suggestions) I would also like to recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. There are now 7 books in the main series around 800-900 pages each as well as an offshoot series.

P A N ( is back ) (millieevemarie) Les miserables is a really big book. The game of thrones series are massive as well

message 26: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Benshana | 10 comments James Michener wrote long books, the Count of Monte Cristo is long too in translation. You could try Balzac's a Human Comedie, many stories but as a series about 20 volumes.

Didn't Dickens regularly go over 1000 pages?

message 27: by Andreea (new)

Andreea | 55 comments I strongly recommand you Coming home by Rosamunde Pilcher.It's a beautiful book which follows the life of a young girl(14) during the World War 2...