Beta Reader Group discussion

54 views
Betas Offering FREE Services > I'm available for beta reads

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Java (new)

Java Davis (javadavis) I'm available to do some beta reading. Non-fiction preferred. ABSOLUTELY NO erotica, scifi, fantasy, romance. Please abide by these guidelines before querying me.

-- Java


message 2: by Alshia (last edited Feb 12, 2014 01:55PM) (new)

Alshia Moyez (Alshia_moyez) | 64 comments What about Historical Fictions? 50 page short, 1948 setting? Coming of age with NO ROMANCE, just friendship & coming of age?
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... Straight, No Chaser (The Jazz Standards #1) by Raul Santiago


message 3: by Java (new)

Java Davis (javadavis) How many beta readers have you signed on? If 5 or more, I'd rather help someone who doesn't have any. Otherwise, sure.


message 4: by Alshia (new)

Alshia Moyez (Alshia_moyez) | 64 comments I've had it read 2x.

This here is like applying for employment. So many people are unemployed but when you take your job application in, you don't think about people who are unemployed (They are the last thing on your mind) and say, "You know, I'll leave this job for someone else who's not working." You need the job, so you submit YOUR application. Right? Ha ha.

Anyway, you know what, I can find someone else to read it. It's no problem.


message 5: by Java (new)

Java Davis (javadavis) There was no reason to be rude. Everyone has to parcel out their limited time carefully, and LOTS of people need beta readers.


message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (blacjak) | 7 comments I have a book on radiotherapy and chemotherapy that I need someone to read. I am specifically wanting someone who will point out the parts where I get too technical. Are you interested?


message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Nixon (richardnixon) | 13 comments Java,

I have a memoir. I was an average American 12yo kid living in Anchorage, Alaska when my older brother and I got sent to boarding school in Ireland because he kept getting into trouble. When I finally came back "home" seven years later, everything was different, and I thought it was because of being sent away. The Troubles is about discovering that truth isn't always what we remember.

If you think this might interest you, please read the sample (it's about 50 pages) : http://www.richardpnixon.com/The_Trou...


message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (blacjak) | 7 comments Alshia wrote: "I've had it read 2x.

This here is like applying for employment. So many people are unemployed but when you take your job application in, you don't think about people who are unemployed (They are ..."


Actually, beta readers are not out of work editors looking to do free jobs for people. Beta readers are people who love to read and are volunteering their time to help authors before they publish.

If you are willing to pay someone (employ them) to give you their opinion as well as editing and writing advice, I suggest you check out one of the freelance sites like Guru or elance. The going rate for a good editor is $0.01 per word and up.


message 9: by Java (new)

Java Davis (javadavis) Jennifer, when it comes to complex issues in non-fiction, I notice a general problem. Who is the target audience? If it's medical professionals, are you qualified to speak to them? If it's the general public, is it generic enough for the person who's had no medical training? If you feel that your target is the general population, and your book is geared in that direction, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

-- Java

Jennifer wrote: "I have a book on radiotherapy and chemotherapy that I need someone to read. I am specifically wanting someone who will point out the parts where I get too technical. Are you interested?"


message 10: by Java (new)

Java Davis (javadavis) Sure.

Richard wrote: "Java,

I have a memoir. I was an average American 12yo kid living in Anchorage, Alaska when my older brother and I got sent to boarding school in Ireland because he kept getting into trouble. When ..."



message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (blacjak) | 7 comments Java wrote: "Jennifer, when it comes to complex issues in non-fiction, I notice a general problem. Who is the target audience? If it's medical professionals, are you qualified to speak to them? If it's the g..."

Yes, my book is targeting the general population and trying to explain some of those scary things for people undergoing treatment in a positive way to remove the fear. I will send you a private message to get your email. Thank you.


message 12: by Richard (new)

Richard Nixon (richardnixon) | 13 comments Java wrote: "Sure.



Great.


back to top