Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Other sites like Bookbub?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Belle (last edited Feb 12, 2014 11:32AM) (new)

Belle Blackburn | 163 comments Are there any other sites out that comparable to bookbub? I know they are the big daddy but do they have competitors, albeit smaller potatoes?

message 2: by Henry (new)

Henry Martin (henrymartin) Not that I know. I've been rejected by BB five times now :( Try Kindle Boards, et cetera.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) The link for Kboards is http://www.kboards.com/index.php

message 4: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 163 comments I have never heard of kindle boards. Will check them out.

I amazingly got accepted by bookbub and it went really well. I have no idea how they make their selections. Now everything has died down and I was thinking about another promotion but didn't see anything out there similar.

message 5: by Henry (new)

Henry Martin (henrymartin) I'm not sure how BookBub works. I have any reviews/ratings, good overall score, and quality material. Yet, I always get the rejection without an explanation.

I tried kboards once with zero results. Also, the GR adds are disappointing - 17000 views and 2 clicks.

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 136 comments ereadernewstoday.com

I'm using them for a little two-day $0.99 sale, and I'm seeing results. The cost is 25% of whatever you make during the sale days, which really isn't bad, especially in comparison to BookBub. (No, I don't expect to see the same numbers).

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andyb0810) | 107 comments Henry wrote: "I'm not sure how BookBub works. I have any reviews/ratings, good overall score, and quality material. Yet, I always get the rejection without an explanation.

I tried kboards once with zero result..."

Same experience as you, Henry. BookBub has rejected me too, Kboards, GR... all disappointing. :) (couldn't resist!)

message 8: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 163 comments Thanks, Judy. I will check them out.

As far as bookbub, I wonder if it is a genre thing? They only have so many slots in each one or something. I have a friend who got her book rejected but she submitted another one and they took it.

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andyb0810) | 107 comments Belle wrote: "Thanks, Judy. I will check them out.

As far as bookbub, I wonder if it is a genre thing? They only have so many slots in each one or something. I have a friend who got her book rejected but she..."

This is what I was thinking about. More marketable genres seem to fit their criteria better...

message 10: by Henry (new)

Henry Martin (henrymartin) Realistically, the more serious a book is, the harder it is to sell. Mass sites cater to mass audiences, and mass audiences enjoy less serious books.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andyb0810) | 107 comments Henry wrote: "Realistically, the more serious a book is, the harder it is to sell. Mass sites cater to mass audiences, and mass audiences enjoy less serious books."

You're right on.

message 12: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Holloway | 393 comments I got rejected by bookbub on one book also. To me that's really weird. What kind of company rejects paying customers? I had good luck with ereadernewstoday.com.

message 13: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 163 comments I sent an email to ereadernewstoday asking them to better define their policy on sex scenes. Mine are not explicit but they are there. Someone told me I write sex like a lady (!) so maybe they will pass but who knows. Have not heard from them yet.

message 14: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 327 comments I've used a Kindle Books and Tips (http://www.fkbooksandtips.com/) a couple times and have been pleased with their service and the results. I've at least broken even both times, which is better than I've done on any other publicity site. Ads are fairly cheap ($50 for the basic ad) and they have a fairly large potential reach.

message 15: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 163 comments Thanks Lance. I will check that out.

message 16: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Haylon (completelynicki) | 2 comments themidlist.com is a new one, they just started in January and have grown pretty quickly. It's completely free for authors, too.

message 17: by JustKindleBooks (new)

JustKindleBooks   | 2 comments Another great site that offers book promotions for authors and book recommendations for readers in JustKindleBooks.

Free and paid book promotions can be done here: http://www.justkindlebooks.com/author...

70,000+ Free books can be access by category here: http://www.justkindlebooks.com/do-you...

message 19: by C.J. (new)

C.J. McKee (cjmckee) | 107 comments These are all great suggestions. However I got rejected by bookbub which is odd since you're paying for their service, and quite a hefty sum I might add. I have trouble justifying paying a large or any fee to sites like these when most likely it won't give you back much in return. Are any of these even worth it? Anyone have really good results? Are free ones even worth bothering since they're not big enough to really reach readers?

message 20: by C.J. (new)

C.J. McKee (cjmckee) | 107 comments Nicki wrote: "themidlist.com is a new one, they just started in January and have grown pretty quickly. It's completely free for authors, too."

Thanks Nicki. When I went to this site it got redirected to bookperks.com

Must have changed their name or something.

message 21: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Hanson (kdhwriter) | 2 comments So, according to my sources, such as Nick Stephenson, Tim Grahl, etc., BookBub seldom accepts more than 20% or the books submitted at a time. However, you can submit more than once, and it is frequently worthwhile to do so since a BookBub ad more than repays the cost. Stephenson suggests that you not give up, and I believe Mark Dawson went six times with the same book before it was selected. Might want to look at the cover, though, to be sure it's in line with the genre.

message 22: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Hanson (kdhwriter) | 2 comments Bookperk is owned by Harper Collins. Midlist was merged into it.

C.J. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "themidlist.com is a new one, they just started in January and have grown pretty quickly. It's completely free for authors, too."

Thanks Nicki. When I went to this site it got redirec..."

C.J. wrote: "These are all great suggestions. However I got rejected by bookbub which is odd since you're paying for their service, and quite a hefty sum I might add. I have trouble justifying paying a large or..."

message 23: by N.D. (new)

N.D. (ndjones) For a marketing novice, this is all very good information. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I'm definitely going to check out the recommendations.

message 24: by Doug (new)

Doug Oudin | 168 comments HI Nicki,
I tried Midlist too, got redirected, and then could not get beyond the cover page. I tried several times to find an 'author link', or a 'submit your book' link, with no success.
Thanks for trying to help.
Doug Oudin

message 25: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Ponti (crystallponti) | 2 comments Here is a new service launching on April 1. They are booking authors April 1 through June 30, 2016. http://forewordz.com. You can email them at goforewordz@gmail.com if you want to set up a promo. It's free for a limited time. Nothing to lose, I guess.

message 26: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 608 comments Lyncoln wrote: "Here is a new service launching on April 1. They are booking authors April 1 through June 30, 2016. http://forewordz.com. "

Would be nice to know something about it before you hand over your email addy. What's their reach? How many on their email list? How did they come by their subscribers? What genres do their readers prefer?

Interesting that you can't sign up as a reader, only as an author "reserve your spot for the launch" (which IMO is a HUGE warning flag).

I also note only 280 people like their FB page and they only have 800 Twitter followers. I don't see anything here to indicate that this service has any real reach. I guess time will tell.

message 27: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Ponti (crystallponti) | 2 comments A.W. wrote: "Lyncoln wrote: "Here is a new service launching on April 1. They are booking authors April 1 through June 30, 2016. http://forewordz.com. "

Would be nice to know something about it before you hand..."

What you were seeing was a pre-launch landing page, which is a savvy marketing technique. They're fully launched now. Since the service is free, I would think it's worth testing. We need alternatives to BookBub (even if they are King), because they decline so often. Gems are often passed over for a Nora Roberts or Stephen King (who, let's be honest, have reach). I like the fact that they are really tilted towards the indie.

message 28: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 66 comments I have never used BookBub but have had quite good, if inconsistent, results with BargainBooksy (there's also Freebooksy if you're doing a free promotion). Results seem to vary a lot between genres, but then so does the cost.

message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie Anderson | 51 comments I've never tried Bookbub and I made lots of mistakes with my first promotion ( see http://www.thestorybazaar.com/how-not... ), but I did come across the readersintheknow site which has a long list of most of the book promotion sites available out there, including Bookbub, what their requirements are and what they take. I found it really useful. Julie
http://www.readersintheknow.com/home

message 30: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 567 comments That's an interesting post Julie. I am still editing my book so have all that fun to come!

I did go through to the Readers in the Know site, but it looks as if all the clicks through to Amazon are to the US site, not UK, so I guess that site is not much use to me, certainly as a reader.

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie Anderson | 51 comments Glad you liked the post, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the clicks being through to Amazon.com?? Probably a 'Duh' moment on my behalf.

message 32: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 31 comments Pam, i don't have anything to do with the site (just curious) but I went through registration and you set your country. If you choose UK, the Amazon UK links and prices become your default.

message 33: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) Julie wrote: "I've never tried Bookbub and I made lots of mistakes with my first promotion ( see http://www.thestorybazaar.com/how-not... ), but I did come across the readersintheknow site which ..."

The timing of KDP Select is critical - and you're right, it takes a while to learn all the ins and outs. But you wouldn't have used that opportunity, so you were right to try it out. I've run two now for Pride's Children (which came out in Oct. 2015); I still haven't learned enough.

There will be another chance in a month or two. Books don't go dead - so you have enough time to learn.

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie Anderson | 51 comments Yes, I'll be at it again. Thanks Alicia.