What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Web of Evil
This topic is about The Web of Evil
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. gothic romance, pennsylvania coal mine, brothers, landslide [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer (jpnwt) | 12 comments I have been looking for the title of a book with no success. I am hoping someone can help me, though I don't have much helpful information to give. It's a novel about a young woman who marries the owner of a coal mine in Pennsylvania (though it may be Ohio). The man has a mysterious and temperamental brother, and the overall feel of the book is very gothic. At one point, there is a landslide that kills many of the miners, and I believe this event is based on actual fact. I think the book is set in the late 1800s and was written in the mid-late 1900s.
Any help finding the title will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39281 comments Mod
So this definitely was set in either Pennsylvania or Ohio? When I searched on coal mine and landslide, it was pretty much only books set in Canada that came up - fiction based on an actual historical event.

message 3: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 385 comments Did you mean landslide, or inside the cave which may be called a cave-in, or something else?

message 4: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 385 comments Survival!: Cave In St. Claire, Pennsylvania, 1859 Survival! Cave In St. Claire, Pennsylvania, 1859 by Kathleen Duey
Here is one I found. I think it's a grade school age kids book.

Jennifer (jpnwt) | 12 comments It's definitely in America, though I may be wrong about the state. And it was a landslide (or maybe mudslide?), but not a cave-in. But that part was just incidental. The main plot is the young bride figuring out the mysteries of the house and family she's married into. It has a very Rebecca-like feel.

Jennifer (jpnwt) | 12 comments And thanks for your help!

message 7: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments Could it be The Valley Of Decision?

Jennifer (jpnwt) | 12 comments That's not it, but thanks!

message 9: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Lament for the Molly Maguires
no 'brothers' but still..

Jennifer (jpnwt) | 12 comments Sounds interesting! But not it, thanks.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Jennifer (jpnwt) | 12 comments Not it, but that like like a good read. Thanks!

Jennifer (jpnwt) | 12 comments bump

Jennifer (jpnwt) | 12 comments SOLVED! The Web of Evil by Lucille Emerick.