The Book Was Better discussion

GENERAL > Book Suggestions!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1690 comments Mod
What books should other people in this group read? Maybe something that not many people know was based on a movie? Or maybe a book that is really theatrical, so you think it would work great on stage! Here is the place to put those books! :)

message 2: by Jasmina (new)

Jasmina Battle Royale!

message 3: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Jasmina wrote: "Battle Royale!"

Such a good book!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kind of hard to read since it was more violent than Hunger Games and other book like it I have read, but so good! Have you seen the movies?

message 4: by Jasmina (new)

Jasmina Dana wrote: "Jasmina wrote: "Battle Royale!"

Such a good book!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kind of hard to read since it was more violent than Hunger Games and other book like it I have read, but so good! Have you seen the ..."

Do you prefer The Hunger Games or Battle Royale though? I remember there being a huge issue whether or not Suzanne Collins got her idea from Battle Royale (this might not even be the thread to discuss it in haha)

I haven't seen the movie. Been meaning to though. Is it good/worth it?

message 5: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

The movie was really good.... much more bloody than HG for sure. And it's all in Japanese, so it can be a little hard to follow if you miss reading things. I think you almost HAVE to read the book first! They change so much!

I for sure like HG better though. There is just more going on as far as the back story and the characters are more relate-able in a way? BR was kind of just more shocking and the games were a lot more harsh! But still a wonderful book!

I see how the idea is similar...but for sure not the same at all!

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments I loved Katie McGarry's books! first one "pushing the limits"

message 7: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Sam wrote: "I loved Katie McGarry's books! first one "pushing the limits""

The description of the book is not all the intriguing to me, but then I read the comments everyone wrote and I kind of want to read it! haha

message 8: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I own The Fault, but have not gotten to it yet.

I am currently reading the first book in the Pendragon series. It's really good! I've been busy this week so I am reading it really slow, but enjoying it for sure! Had anyone else read it?

message 9: by Princess7v (new)

Princess7v | 11 comments Eleanor&Park

message 10: by Princess7v (new)

Princess7v | 11 comments Carrie by Stephan King

message 11: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I have only read Under the Dome and Misery by Stephen King. I feel like there are for some others I need to read (including The Colorado Kid...since I own it), but I just haven't gotten around to it yet! I should pop them in here and there to freshen up my reading list! :)

message 12: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Did anyone hear the news that there will be a Percy Jackson/Kane Series crossover?! I saw an article about it recently, and I am not sure how I feel about it! Especially with Camp Jupiter in the mix, a movie with Roman, Greek, and Egyptian gods could be a bit confusing!!

message 13: by Jasmina (new)

Jasmina I saw Riordan mention it on Twitter a while back. But I'm guessing if there is going to be a crossover, that the focus will be mainly on Camp Half Blood and Kane? There's way too many people if he includes Camp Jupiter. For instance, in Heroes in Olympus, some characters weren't included from the original Percy Jackson series..

I haven't read Kane yet depsite having the books, but I don't think I like this crossover to be honest. I'll most likely end up buying it, but I'm starting to feel like Percy Jackson is being milked. I'd rather want Riordan to focus on the Norse mythology series. That's going to be so good! (I probably shouldn't hype it up so much for my own good..)

message 14: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I haven't heard of the Norse series yet. I will for sure have to look it up. Kane series is AMAZING though! Mainly because Egyptian history is my favorite!! I was a little worried it was going to be too similar to Percy Jackson in a lot of ways, but it was really new and exciting and fun! In fact, I might need to re-read that soon! haha

message 15: by Jasmina (new)

Jasmina Untitled (Untitled Norse Mythology, #1) by Rick Riordan Yep, next year though. I wonder if he's releasing anything this year aside from the Percy Jackson's Gods-thing.
I heard mixed reviews about Kane though, but I really want to read it. Is the style similar to the other two series though? I feel like they all follow the exact same pattern.

message 16: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

No, not really. First of all it is written first person from two people, and they add some back and fourth there which is really fun! Also, there is a lot of different stuff going on that makes their day to day a lot different. No quest, just survival and all sorts of unexpected magic and things. They are for sure really good, and different enough from Percy Jackson that you do not get them mixed up at all! :D

message 17: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

I found this awesome list (haven’t had time to go through the whole thing yet) but I’m surprised at some of the books on here!

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Oh I like the list but didn't read the heading of it till I got to the end! See I have to tell u I've only read 2 books on that list but have a few 'to read'. But can understand if they're not a big reader why some are on their 'I only watched the movie' list :) tell me how many have u read or to read? Close to all... ;) haha I wish I could read faster :D

message 19: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I read 13 on that list, but have quite a few "want to read" that were already selected, but I'm sure I will be adding more!! Thanks for sharing that list Marika! :)

message 20: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments Well some of the books suprised me so much I looked into it and the book was written after the movie (like Dead Poet's Society) which would fall into another thread in this group (about books made after movies) So those seema bit iffy to me, but idk, i might still check them out!

message 21: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I loved the movie Dead Poet's Society!! But I don't know if I would want to read something that was based on it...hmmmmmm Interesting....

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Might need to watch that movie again as it was so long ago I can't remember it very clearly.

message 23: by J (new)

J A | 86 comments Jurassic Park, somehow I read that in elementary school.

message 24: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

DID YOU HEAR THEY ARE DOING ANOTHER MOVIE!??!?!?!

Okay.....I'm calm....promise....

Really though, they are making another one...with dinos!! And music!!! and...just...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I was born in the wrong time. I was meant to ride dinos like in "How to Train Your Dragon"...but with a Pterodactyl!!

I still need to read the books, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the movies a little to much for it to be "normal"!!!

message 25: by lysah (new)

lysah | 31 comments with my excitement when I heard this book was being made into a movie I was super excited "Ender's Game" I read this book in high school. It has taken 25 some odd years to bring this book to film. I tried reading the rest of the Ender's series but couldn't get into like I did with the first book. Has anyone else read this book and liked the movie? I know I enjoyed both and actually glad that with our new technologies they were (Hollywood=they) did the book good.

message 26: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I read Enders Game a few months ago so I could go see it with a friend. I LOVE it so much!! We actually have a feed for Enders game, so feel free to pop in there and join the conversation! As for the rest of the series, I have not read them yet, but plan to at some point. I felt like the first one ended at such a point where I did not need to immediately go into the next one, so I am still waiting a little before diving into the rest. I don't actually know if anyone I know HAS read past the first one yet...hmmm

message 27: by lysah (new)

lysah | 31 comments Dana, can u send me the link to that discussion? and personally there isnt a need to read the rest of the installments. They are so SLOW and hard to get into.

message 28: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

There you go!! And I'm getting that kind of feel from most people...hence me not rushing to get to them. If I hear they are planning to make more movies I will for sure read them, but until then I don't feel pressed to turn to Ender and his world!

message 29: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments Dana wrote: "DID YOU HEAR THEY ARE DOING ANOTHER MOVIE!??!?!?!

Okay.....I'm calm....promise....

Really though, they are making another one...with dinos!! And music!!! and...just...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thi..."

Waiit...They are re-doing the Jurassic park movies?!?! Why?!?! They are classics!! I actually just bought the first book (Jurassic Park) for 20cents at a thrift store so I'm looking forward to reading it. I heard they moved things around in the movies (like the opening scene in the second movie was actually in the first book) We'll see!

message 30: by Marika (last edited Mar 22, 2014 06:07AM) (new)

Marika | 187 comments Oh and I was flipping through the book Jurassic Park adn there are pictures and graphs and charts and screenshots!!! It looks intense. I'm so excited, lol

message 31: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

It's like a new one. Called "Jurassic World." I don't know what all will happen in it, but I love JP so much, esp the first one, that I will at lest for sure be in love with the sound track if nothing else! :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369610/

message 32: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments crazy! I'll have to keep my eye out for that

message 33: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments Has anyone read The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon? It's a YA fantasy/sci-fi book that is going to be in a series of 7 books I believe. I got it for free I'm curious if anyone else read it yet?

message 34: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Nope. But if you like it, let me know, cuz I likely will too! ;)

message 35: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments I will for sure. John's sister Maria has a friend that works for a publishing company in NYC and she got it for free. I guess they think it will be "the next Harry Potter" (Not necesarily the genre, but the hype and popularity) We'll see....

message 36: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

That's awesome!! Did you get the whole series?! Also, if they want to send any free books for the group to check out... ;) haha

message 37: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments No, the rest of the series isn’t published yet which is partially why I haven’t started it yet.

It’s a long shot but I can ask Maria about giveaways. I mean Maria is just a middle man, it’s her roommate that works for the publishing company and the roommate works in a nonfiction section so she doesn’t get “fun” books for free very often.

message 38: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Oic! Got it! Worth a shot maybe?

I always seem to find books that are in massive series! Which just means s tun of waiting for the next one, and a tun of money spend on it! I am really glad I found Princess Diaries on library books on my Kindle. Thanks goodness I don't have to buy that whole series! :)

message 39: by Jess (new)

Jess Princess7v wrote: "Carrie by Stephan King"

I never read the book, but I love the movie. I can't decide of the old or new movie is better.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Marika wrote: "Has anyone read The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon? It's a YA fantasy/sci-fi book that is going to be in a series of 7 books I believe. I got it for free I'm curious if anyone else read it yet?"

I wasn't at all impressed. I have a full review of it, if anyone's interested.

http://readinggoodbooks.wordpress.com...

message 41: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments Cate (The Professional Fangirl) wrote: "Marika wrote: "Has anyone read The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon? It's a YA fantasy/sci-fi book that is going to be in a series of 7 books I believe. I got it for free I'm curious if anyone else ..."

hmmm, interesting. thanks for sharing! I don't have high expectations but I'll still give it a try. I got it for free after all.

message 42: by lysah (new)

lysah | 31 comments oh, I just finished "The Shining" and although the movie was good, the book was scarier! the reason for reread The Shining was to be up speed for The Sleep Doctor which brings Danny (the little boy in the movie) story up to date!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Marika wrote: "hmmm, interesting. thanks for sharing! I don't have high expectations but I'll still give it a try. I got it for free after all."

Oh good. :) Yeah, don't believe any of the hype.

message 44: by J (new)

J A | 86 comments I'm on the waiting list for "It" from my library

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments ^ That Stephen King clown book? OMG, that scared me so much I'll never read it again hahaha.

(I have a clown phobia, btw. Idk what possessed me to read that lol.)

message 46: by J (new)

J A | 86 comments Yea, I honesty haven't even seen the movie. Never interested me, maybe the book will make me want to watch it

message 47: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I just started reading Sphere, and it is amazing! I have seen the movie quite a few times, and thus far it looks like the movie did a really good job of sticking true to the book. :)

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Random question because I just finished my first poll for picking what category we should have for our BOM. Do we get to suggest books now for the winning category? How does it work?

message 49: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

We haven't done that yet, simply because it is hard enough to even get people to vote on what book to do, let alone get suggestions sometimes. So, I have just been planning the 5 we choose from, and thus far it has been working out okay! In the future we may do let people suggest, but for now we just have 5 in each category and people pick the category and then also the book. :)

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dana wrote: "We haven't done that yet, simply because it is hard enough to even get people to vote on what book to do, let alone get suggestions sometimes. So, I have just been planning the 5 we choose from, an..."

Awesome! You have been picking some great books by the way. Ones I am interested in, and I know what you mean when you ask for suggestions it can get out of hand. I have seen that happen in other groups before.

« previous 1 3