Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Separate types (e-book vs. paperback) visible for one book

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jules (new)

Jules Barnard (julesbarnard) | 10 comments Are paperback and e-book versions meant to be displayed separately on an author's Goodreads page? That is how mine appear, given they have separate ISBNs, but I'm not sure if that is normal. It seems a little confusing for the reader. Can someone tell me if there is a way to combine the separate types of books, or if it is correct to keep them separate? Thank you!

message 2: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments No Jules, they're not. They need to be combined into one book so that the reviews/ratings attached to each edition can be pooled together. I have combined them for you, although as the author you also have the ability to do so, should you wish to add another edition in the future.

message 3: by Jules (new)

Jules Barnard (julesbarnard) | 10 comments Thank you! The one showing is the paperback version. Is that the correct version to show on Goodreads? I'm just thinking ahead to when it becomes available and people want to say, click the Amazon link. Will it take them to the paperback? Shouldn't it go to the e-book? I just became a librarian, so I appreciate the education on this stuff!

message 4: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments the one that shows on your author page is what's called the 'default' edition. unless you set it otherwise, the default edition is the one that has been shelved by the most users on Goodreads. as the author, you can override that choice and set whichever edition you'd like as the default (see instructions here). As for the Amazon links, all the 'get a copy' links are customized by the user, i.e., he or she chooses which booksellers they want to be able to click. The links work by searching for the ISBN (or ASIN, if it's a kindle or audible audiobook) on the bookseller's site, or by title if the ISBN/ASIN is not entered. Consequently, the workability of the 'get a copy' links is dependent on a) which bookseller a user chooses to search and b) whether the specific edition the user is looking at has the appropriate ISBN or ASIN.

Soooo to make a long explanation even longer, if a user is looking at the paperback edition and they click on 'get a copy' from Amazon, as long as the paperback edition is on Amazon and has a matching ISBN, the user should go right to it. If a user is looking at the ebook edition and they click 'get a copy' from Amazon, they will most likely be directed to an Amazon search page that has the ISBN as the query. If your kindle edition is generated from that ebook ISBN, then likely the book will show up as a hit in the search results. If, however, your kindle edition on Amazon is NOT linked to that ISBN (I think there's a way, but I don't know how, I have never listed anything for sale on Amazon, sorry!), then the user will get a 'no results' page from Amazon.

If you are going to offer this book for sale on Amazon as a kindle, it will get what's called an ASIN (like an ISBN, except specific to Amazon's kindle format). With that ASIN, I can make a separate edition of your book on Goodreads for the kindle, and with that ASIN, the 'get a copy' Amazon link will go straight to the sale page for your book.

FYI, the ASIN is specific to Amazon; e.g., searching B&N or Kobo with that will always get you bupkis. Goodreads users are generally pretty savvy, however, and will shelve the edition they want (paperback for those who prefer physical books, kindle for those with a kindle ereader, and ebook for those who use a non-kindle ereader) and will navigate the 'get a copy' links accordingly. Authors like to stress a lot about this, but in reality, I think most users know how to Google something if their first attempt to click through fails anyway!

message 5: by Jules (new)

Jules Barnard (julesbarnard) | 10 comments Thank you so much for this information! I am first and foremost a reader and I will do the same thing--if a link takes me to paperback, I'll search for e-book, but it's still a couple of clicks of extra time so I want to make it easy for people. Will make sure to follow the above guidelines and hopefully remove some of the hassle for those interested in the story :)