Struggling Writers discussion

Discussions > Success in marketing Flash-fiction?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zach (new)

Zach Tyo (ztyo) | 6 comments I want to apologize in advance incase I'm i. The wrong folder. I read the "how-to" thread for this folder and I think I'm in the right place.

I'm currently working on a collection of flash-fiction/short stories for publication. My estimate, I'm about halfway through, is going to fall anywhere between 9500 and 12000 total words over 8-10 stories.

My question is how marketable is a collection such as this? The stories all follow the same central theme, but vary in their time periods, settings etc.

I'm not as concerned with "how much" I can make, my main goal is fan base/establishing my 'brand' so to speak.

I was hoping to get some input and any advice on the topic will be appreciate it.

Thanks,

Zach

message 2: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Hey Zach! Thank-you for reading the "how-to" thread for the folder, this is the right place for this. I renamed your thread to make it more specific, so if you would like to fiddle with it off what I put go ahead.

I don't have any personal experience with this, but it seems to me that authors who publish "sets" of what you are talking about do better than the ones who publish single stories. Like, you could have a whole set of short stories that revolve around the same subject/genre or the same character. Those, to me as a reader, would be more appealing than a single short story.

message 3: by Emma (last edited Feb 14, 2014 06:10PM) (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) People sell collections of stories like that all the time. One of my friends just self-published them. The only problem would getting enough word around for people to buy them. I published a novel in December of 2012 and still haven't sold 100 copies.

In bocca al lupo to you :)