Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Genre Questions, Reviews, & Double-Checks.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Feb 12, 2014 09:18AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod

This thread is for anyone with a question about a book’s genre. Such as people who:
• Have read an ARE (Advance Reader’s Editions).
• Are asking for a ruling review of a book where not many people have read it (therefore, it doesn’t have ten ‘tags.’)
• Just want to double-check.
• Something else regarding genres that comes up.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved.

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I apologize for the repeated questions but I am still trying to work out the crime genre. Would this book work?

Beneath The Bleeding (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #5) by Val McDermid Beneath The Bleeding by Val McDermid

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Not a problem, Sheila.

Yes, that one works; it has 60 people who have 'tagged' or shelved it as crime:

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) So you aren't just looking at the main page? You are looking beyond that then for the genres?

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Sheila wrote: "So you aren't just looking at the main page? You are looking beyond that then for the genres?"

Correct.

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Thanks, good to know

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments You're welcome, Sheila. ☺

message 9: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments What shelves should we use to determine Current Best Seller? The genre page for current-best-seller only has 2 books on it.

message 10: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Vicky wrote: "What shelves should we use to determine Current Best Seller? The genre page for current-best-seller only has 2 books on it."

Vicky, we are not using a specific shelf on GRs. You may present one, like the NY Times Best Sellers List, or one from the country you're in. As long as you can provide us with a list to review - and it is current.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Mods, I have an ARC of Forged, which isn't due to be published until April, and so not many people have reviewed it. Will it count as PNR?

message 12: by NBRC Book Ninja (last edited Mar 08, 2014 11:52AM) (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Amanda wrote: "Mods, I have an ARC of Forged, which isn't due to be published until April, and so not many people have reviewed it. Will it count as PNR?"

Yes, Amanda, counts as P.

❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Hannibal Lecterღ♥ღ | 2613 comments I have a question The Reaper Within hasn't been shelved by a lot of people and i'm wondering what genres i could use for this book?

❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Hannibal Lecterღ♥ღ | 2613 comments I was wondering if a book has been shelved so many times as Contemporary and Romance separately can that count towards being Contemporary Romance together?

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments If a book is shelved as "Mystery" can it count as a reader's choice since "Mystery" isn't a genre on the cards? Example: Dick Francis's Refusal.

message 16: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments ❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Malkom Slaineღ♥ღ wrote: "I have a question The Reaper Within hasn't been shelved by a lot of people and i'm wondering what genres i could use for this book?"

Sorry for the delay, ❤Stephanie, I thought I answered this in your group. It works for P.

message 17: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments ❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Malkom Slaineღ♥ღ wrote: "I was wondering if a book has been shelved so many times as Contemporary and Romance separately can that count towards being Contemporary Romance together?"

No. This is the exception to the rule. Unless you provide a specific book for review.

message 18: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Love Water Memory by Jennie Shortridge does NOT work as a RC-Romance-Contemporary or Contemporary romance. It does however, because of the the number of times it has been shelved, work as CO=Contemporary.

message 19: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Michelle wrote: "If a book is shelved as "Mystery" can it count as a reader's choice since "Mystery" isn't a genre on the cards? Example: Dick Francis's Refusal."

Sure, if you want. Any SLOOP would have to be shelved the same.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments NBRC Book Ninja wrote: "Love Water Memory by Jennie Shortridge does NOT work as a RC-Romance-Contemporary or Contemporary romance. It does however, because of the the number of times it has been shelved, work as CO=Conte..."

What about chick lit? Only 8,shelved, but it is written woman's fiction - chick lit, and along with that more for woman's fiction. Are they essentially the same genre or different? Because they sound like synonyms (hope I am using the right word here) of each other.

message 21: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Let me get back to you, Sarah.

Evelyn*My Redeemer* (MyRedeemer) How do I find out exactly which genre the book I'm reading is in?? I'm almost finished 'Watch me die' by Erica Spindler I'm not sure which genre that is in and I will have to know the genres of the books for the battleship game :-/

message 23: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Evelyn, go to the books Home Page and look to the right (Screen #1 below).

Then click on Genre and you get to the second page of shelves (Screen #2 below).

That book works as T or S.

It could work as a Reader's Choice for Mystery, if you desire, but any SLOOPs attached would have to have Mystery 'tagged' individually like that one, too.

Evelyn*My Redeemer* (MyRedeemer) Thank u ;)

message 25: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Sarah wrote: "What about chick lit? ...woman's fiction... Are they essentially the same genre or different?"

While often shelved together, for the purposes of this challenge we consider them different. We reference AgentQuery.com:
...women’s fiction often delves into deeper, more serious conflicts and utilizes a more poetic literary writing style...

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments In the Dark The True Story of the Blackout Ripper by Simon Read - can this count for nonfiction by the shelved 10% rule. Not a lot of genres shelved yet

message 27: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Sarah wrote: "In the Dark The True Story of the Blackout Ripper by Simon Read - can this count for nonfiction by the shelved 10% rule. Not a lot of genres shelved yet"

Yes. NF or C.

message 28: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments Are we making any special exceptions against books that are CLEARLY mis-shelved? I was just looking to see what genres my on-deck books are and I noticed that Brave New World has been shelved as non-fiction 15 times.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments I have a book that has 8 shelved for suspense, but then 2 suspence - thriller. Am I allowed to add that for suspense? The Book is Mother, Mother by Koren Zailckas

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Vicky wrote: "Are we making any special exceptions against books that are CLEARLY mis-shelved? I was just looking to see what genres my on-deck books are and I noticed that Brave New World has been s..."

I was wondering the same thing, since Water For Elephants has been shelved as fantasy 24 times.
:O

message 31: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Vicky wrote: "Are we making any special exceptions against books that are CLEARLY mis-shelved? I was just looking to see what genres my on-deck books are and I noticed that Brave New World has been s..."

Good question, Vicky. Probably not, but let me run it by the other Mods.

message 32: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Sarah wrote: "I have a book that has 8 shelved for suspense, but then 2 suspence - thriller. Am I allowed to add that for suspense? The Book is Mother, Mother by Koren Zailckas"

Yes, works for S.

message 33: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Amanda wrote: "I was wondering the same thing, since Water For Elephants has been shelved as fantasy 24 times. :O"

Well, that one isn't as outrageous as Brave New World. Still, let me run it by the other Mods.

message 34: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1839 comments NBRC Book Ninja wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I was wondering the same thing, since Water For Elephants has been shelved as fantasy 24 times. :O"

Well, that one isn't as outrageous as Brave New World. Still, let me run it by t..."

I just want to weigh in and say, if it's been tagged more than 10 times in one way it should qualify. This is the way we chose to evaluate our options for this challenge and I would like to see it stay. I know Brave New World is not non-fiction, but it was tagged that way by several members. Some of these gross mis-taggings (look, now I'm making up words) may be obvious to some, but not all.

message 35: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Thanks for weighing in, Kate S.

❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Hannibal Lecterღ♥ღ | 2613 comments I was wondering when you will be putting up the Clock thing to tell us when we have to read the books by?

message 37: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments ❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Malkom Slaineღ♥ღ wrote: "I was wondering when you will be putting up the Clock thing to tell us when we have to read the books by?"

Just posted here.

message 38: by Turtlecollector Dennis (last edited Mar 14, 2014 07:29PM) (new)

Turtlecollector Dennis | 1164 comments would The Power of One (Forever, #2) by Eve Newton be considered Paranormal? This book doesn't have very many tags, but the first one in the series is tagged that way.

message 39: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Turtlecollector wrote: "would The Power of One (Forever, #2) by Eve Newton be considered Paranormal? This book doesn't have very many tags, but the first one in the series is tagged that way."

Yes. (Also 'tagged' as PNR.)

❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Hannibal Lecterღ♥ღ | 2613 comments NBRC Book Ninja wrote: "❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Malkom Slaineღ♥ღ wrote: "I was wondering when you will be putting up the Clock thing to tell us when we have to read the books by?"

Just posted here."

Thanks

Turtlecollector Dennis | 1164 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges (All the Mods) wrote: "Turtlecollector wrote: "would The Power of One (Forever, #2) by Eve Newton be considered Paranormal? This book doesn't have very many tags, but the first one in the series is tagged that way."

Yes. (Al..."

Thanks.

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Mods, can I have a ruling on Home to Seaview Key by Sherryl Woods by Sherryl Woods? Not many people have read it yet, but several have tagged it either RC or CL.

message 43: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments Would the "humor" shelf work for "humorous"?

message 44: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Amanda wrote: "Mods, can I have a ruling on Home to Seaview Key by Sherryl Woods by Sherryl Woods? Not many people have read it yet, but several have tagged it either RC or CL."

Works for RC, for sure, as it has been 'tagged' by at least 10% of people 'tagging.'

Let me get back to you about CL.

message 45: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Vicky wrote: "Would the "humor" shelf work for "humorous"?"

Yes.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

For Spirituality/Inspirational do the tags Christian, Christian fiction and Religion count?

message 47: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments Pigletto wrote: "For Spirituality/Inspirational do the tags Christian, Christian fiction and Religion count?"

Let me get back to you, Pigletto.

message 48: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

As far as Vicky’s question on something clearly mis-'tagged' - we Mods have decided to take a Black & White approach to it and, as the rules state, whatever is shelved more than 10 times counts.

Besides the odds of largely popular books being shelved wrong, oftentimes it is very difficult to get a definitive genre on a book as many times it is down to how the publisher promotes it. We don't want to open that can of worm or we'll be determining that all the time, and where do we draw the line? Teams may use it to their advantage, if their conscience allows.

message 49: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Amanda wrote: "Mods, can I have a ruling on Home to Seaview Key by Sherryl Woods by Sherryl Woods? Not many people have read it yet, but several have tagged it either RC or CL."

Amanda, this only counts as RC and CBS.

message 50: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Pigletto wrote: "For Spirituality/Inspirational do the tags Christian, Christian fiction and Religion count?"

Yes, we will take any religion 'tag' for this one.

« previous 1