The Book Was Better discussion

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
This topic is about Divergent
BOOKS ON SCREEN > DIVERGENT

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1688 comments Mod
With the first trailer already out, how are you guys feeling about the movie? One thing I already notice if that Tris does not take her sweater off being jumping off the building. I know it is a small thing, but to me it was a really pivotal moment for her that I found simple yet awesome!

Jasmina I was expecting the part where they have to jump off the trains to be scarier than it was portrayed...

message 3: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes...the hill was all soft and gentle looking! I have a feeling...or at least a hope, that some of the other scene will be a little more intense.

beth (beth01) To me, so far it looks really good! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS MOVIE, I AM SIMPLY DYING OVER HERE!!!!

message 5: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

From the trailer I am worrying that the fight scenes will be really watered down... I think the way she is so completely beat up and defeated all the time is important to her journey.... Not to mention I have a degree in theater, so I LOVE special effects makeup... ;)

beth (beth01) Dana wrote: "From the trailer I am worrying that the fight scenes will be really watered down... I think the way she is so completely beat up and defeated all the time is important to her journey.... Not to men..."

Haha, I think I'm going to wait until I've seen the movie to judge whether the fight scenes are watered down, but I hope they aren't!!!

message 7: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

I will for sure be seeing the movie in theaters, but the trailer made me a little nervous. Maybe when the full theatrical trailer comes out I will be put more at ease... Only time will tell!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Excited for this.

But I'm forever laughing at Four's Sharpie'd tats.

Maggie Q is perfect. She's reason enough for me to watch anything.

Marika | 187 comments Dana wrote: "From the trailer I am worrying that the fight scenes will be really watered down... I think the way she is so completely beat up and defeated all the time is important to her journey.... Not to men..."

I totally agree! I would be annoyed if they tried to keep her looking super pretty...stupid Hollywood and its obsession with sex appeal. I completely agree that part of her maturation process is getting beat up so bad it dangerous. I wonder how graphic the scene with Peter stabbing the kid in the eye is going to be though?! Ew...I mean its important to understand how evil he is, but that's still super gross. I hate reading that part.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth (eweindesign) | 0 comments I saw Divergent in theaters last week. I read the book back in 2011 (handy that I put it on goodreads, or I'd never be able to remember that!) Does this mean I can claim hipster status? I read it before she wrote the sequels! HaHA!

What I wanted from the film: There were three key scenes I was looking for excellence in, despite the time gap between my reading the book and seeing the film: 1. Tris' ride on the zipline 2. Four and Tris' climb up the ferris wheel 3. The serum showdown between Four and Tris.

Grade: B-
I give the filmmakers credit for scenes 1 and 2, but they let Jeanine be in scene 3, and so the life and death fight between Four and Tris wasn't a private one. Boo.

The extended use of Kate Winslet (and therefore Jeanine) in the adaptation of Divergent to film also brings up a point that I suppose applies to all books-to-movies: why, oh why, must Hollywood create an antagonist monologue. Shut-up and be silently threatening, please.

message 11: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Firs of all, glad you joined the convo Beth!! :D

Second, I am going to see it either Thursday or Friday of this week, and I am really excited. I don't have the highest expectations, but I am still excited to see it on the big screen! :)

Marika | 187 comments I'm kinda bummed and also impressed that Kate Winslet is playing an antagonist...I still love her from my Titanic days, lol. I'm pretty mad that she shows up in the fight at the end though...that was supposed ot be private! How annoying...

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I've always loved Kate Winslet. She was spot on Jeanine, imo. But ditto about the antagonist monologue.

message 14: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Okay.....here we go! I just got back from the movie, but before I talk about the movie, I must start with a story:

So, I got a free movie ticket to see Son of God from work, and when I saw that movie they told me it worked like a gift card and that I still had like $5 left on the print out. So, I take it with me tonight and give it to the guy and he is a deer in headlights! He called a manager and they are sorting it out while I text my friend about buying her ticket too. So, finally, he just prints out a ticket and hands it to me...no paying the extra $8 or whatever it was... Well, I set down my credit card and then kind of look at him confused while I explain that I needed two, since my friend was running late.... He then pushes a button and prints another one and just hands it to me. I asked him what I should do, and he sort of just shrugs and let's me go.... So, our movie tickets were FREE!!!! So amazing!!!

message 15: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam | 606 comments Dana wrote: "Okay.....here we go! I just got back from the movie, but before I talk about the movie, I must start with a story:

So, I got a free movie ticket to see Son of God from work, and when I saw that m..."

wow! you have amazing luck! If i tried that the person would say something like "sorry it's not working try again another day".

message 16: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alright, now to the movie!!

I will try not to give too much away since the movie is so new, so to start here are the scenes I was most looking forward to(in order):
1. Edward getting his eye stabbed by the knife (I do theater makeup...don't judge me!!)
2. Fear landscapes, esp Four and Tris' final!
3. The fight scene with Molly and Tris
4. When Will dies (not that I am happy about it...I just wanted to see how it was handled)

Well....these are the scenes in the movie that I was most ANNOYED by(in order):
1. Edward getting his eye stabbed by the knife
2. Fear landscapes, esp Tris' final
3. Zip lining
4. Jeannine's added scenes and screen time (I love Kate a TUN, but stick to the book people...)
5. The whole sequence with Tris and Four when he is under the simulation at the end
6. Casting(the actors that played Peter and Will looked too similar....and also Al was supposed to be a big black guy...not a slightly bigger white guy that also looked a little like Peter and Will....)

And finally...the things about the movie I was most PLEASED with(in order):
1. The choosing ceremony
2. Capture the flag
3. Uh....having a hard time with this one...

All in all I give the book to movie translation a C...maybe a C-, and the movie an overall B-....maybe a B

I think my favorite part of the whole evening (honestly) was getting to see The Maze Runner preview on the big screen!!! ;)

Marika | 187 comments that's awesome about the free tickets! At least you didn't have to pay to be disapointed. And I bet seeing The Maze Runner preview was also awesome!

How did you feel about the Will dying scene? You said you were looking forward to it but I don't see it listed in the annoyed or the please lists

message 18: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was neither impressed or overly annoyed with it.... It was another one of those scenes where people that are trained on how to handle guns can't ever seem to hit their target...making it so not believable! So that was annoying....and also everyone who died lied perfectly on their sides with a single trail of blood coming out of their mouth...so....it was a little lame. Also, Will's character is not as fully developed, and since he looks SO MUCH like Peter it took me a second to realize it was him she was shooting at....like until she said his name!

Marika | 187 comments oh dear. that doesn't sound so good

message 20: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nope.... The actress that played Tris was awesome, although she should have been WAY shorter, esp compared to Christina. But there were a lot of other things that were just so far departed from the book it was frustrating. I was glad my friend had seen it too....we loudly complained when things were not from the book! Good thing no was sat too close to us! ;)

Jasmina So I just saw the movie and ugh I wish I hadn't to be honest. It's going to be a trilogy, so why put so much in one movie didn't have to be there until later on? The (view spoiler) served no purpose. I literally couldn't feel a thing during any of it. Which is sad because I REALLY felt with Tris when (view spoiler). I think that if they saved it for later, it would have had a different impact..

Speaking of which.. since they changed quite a lot, why not just put Uriah in there as well? :(

Still cannot find myself to like Shailene Woodley either...

Kaylee | 6 comments I did t like how none to barley any Erudite where wearing glasses. And how they didn't show all if the obstacles in the aptitude test and all of Tris's seven fears. And they rushed it to where the Dauntless got taken over. Urg. But I understood why because if they didn't it would have been like a 3 and a half long movie. But my biggest complaint is they DIDN'T HAVE URIAH IN THE MOVIE!!! OMG that made me SOOOOO MAD!! >:( But I have to give cred, the movie was good. Two thumbs up.

message 23: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think I can give the movie only one thumb...at the most... There were just SO MANY THING they added and left out. That might be good for the next two movies since the books were awful, but this first one did not need to be changed that much! (see above for my lists of things I likes and did not like the most)

Kaylee | 6 comments Oh I forgot one more thing! I wish they would had showed Peter stabbing Edward in the eye. I wanted to see some blood and gore. I was SO looking forward to that. :(

message 25: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaylee wrote: "Oh I forgot one more thing! I wish they would had showed Peter stabbing Edward in the eye. I wanted to see some blood and gore. I was SO looking forward to that. :("

Same here!!!!!! I have a degree in theater, with an emphasis in performance and makeup design, so that was one of the things I wanted to see the most (view spoiler)

Kaylee | 6 comments Oh that's cool! :D

message 27: by Ebba (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ebba (ebba_grondahl) So, I just saw the movie and I am so disappointed! I hated the last part (like the last 30 minutes) and that they deleted the part when Edward gets stabbed in the eye!!

Kaylee | 6 comments I so hate it when they deleted that part from the movie urgggg!

message 29: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ebba wrote: "So, I just saw the movie and I am so disappointed! I hated the last part (like the last 30 minutes) and that they deleted the part when Edward gets stabbed in the eye!!"

I agree soooooo much!!!!!! They added way to much, and took out some really good/important things. I really do not know what they were thinking at all...............UGH!!!!!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Divergent the book and I thought the movie was pretty good. The movie definitely left out parts of the book (uriah? and the part when tris and four are coming down from the ferris wheel and tris almost falls to her doom..... so dramatic)

message 31: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

The book was pretty good, but for me the movie was terrible! I outlined the worst points in my post above. I am not planning on seeing the rest of the movie for this series...

Louisa Knight | 156 comments I agree, I thought that the film was terrible, they missed out some pretty key things, so if they are making insurgent I don't know how they are going to make some parts!

message 33: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

THANK YOU!!! Most people I have talked to liked the book, and I just don't get it!! I mean, for a while there I thought maybe I stumbled into the wrong theater and that's why I thought it was so bad?? Finally someone to back me up!! hahaha!

Louisa Knight | 156 comments I know right! My friends kept on going on about how amazing the film was and I was standing there like, sorry were watching the same film as me? Did you even read the books?! Gosh, I just don't understand

message 35: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

The friend I saw it with also read the books and we talked through most of it, ripping it to shreds! haha It was nice that she was on my side, but other than her everyone I talk to loved it! Her and I are going to see Maze Runner together too, and I am already glad to know we will be on the same page on that one too! haha

Louisa Knight | 156 comments Yeah, some of my friends understand how annoying the films are but most don't!

message 37: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Same here! This weekend I was watching X-Men(for the second time) and my friend Robert was sitting with me and we were talking about other movies that just came out. Well, I brought up Divergent and he said he saw it already, so my next question was if he read it since we saw Enders Game together after reading it. Well, he told me no so all I said back was "Oh...then you probably actually liked it..." X-Men started then so we didn't get to chat about it more than that! hahaha

message 38: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments I actually made the mistake of seeing the film before I had read majority of this book (which I absolutely hate doing, for this very reason). I think I was only like 50+ pages in. Now every time I try to read the book I just get easily distracted and never make it more than twenty extra pages or so. It's actually killing me because I did enjoy the movie a lot! But you all seem to be quite disappointed. I am determined to finish this book! I will do it!!

Louisa Knight | 156 comments It is a shame that you watched the film first, but you can't change that obviously! Try to get through the book, it isn't brilliant, but you'll definitely be able to see how much they changed the book in the film.

Aimee | 29 comments Keeping striving on! I wouldn't say i was disappointed with the film, in my opinion it was pretty good. They did miss some key thing, and add in that i didn't like but in the end it's not up to me and i realise that these changes had to happen somewhere. But all in all its not completely different from the film, just minor stuff

message 41: by Cath (new) - rated it 1 star

Cath | 7 comments I personally hated the books but the movie was actually okay (I still hate four but ya know)

message 42: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Interesting... I have yet to meet someone who liked the movie more than the book. I find that shocking since for me the movie was total crap! The book was not great, but still had some really great moments that made the series look to be promising... Sadly the series sucks after the first one and all my favorite parts of the book were cut from the movie...

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this series! I haven't seen the movie, but I'm dying to see it. I heard that the movie was good, but they cut out a lot of parts.

Michelle Kuzmer | 2 comments The ending of the movie was a little confusing but over all a decent movie although the book was a lot better

message 45: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

The movie was a MESS!!!! Read my comments above for more info. I am so frustrated by people who think the movie is good and then add "but they did this...and this...and took out this..." all of those things made it terrible!! Sadly there are a lot of naive people who are talking loudly about how good it was, so people go along with it and do not open their eyes to how crappy it was... One of the worst book to movies I have seen in a while, and it was th only decent book from a crappy series to start with so it was just a shame!

Darlene Castillo | 6 comments I enjoyed Divergent, I knew the movie wouldn't be as good as the book so I went in with an open mind and low expectations which left little room to be disappointed. I enjoyed the movie, I love the book. Looking forward to the movie Insurgent.

message 47: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't know if I walked in with higher expectations that I should have or what, but it was just bad. Thankfully I ended up seeing it for free on accident. As of yet I do not plan on seeing Insurgent in theaters, but with new characters being added I am a little intrigued. Maybe they will fix all the plot holes in the books for the last two movies!

Darlene Castillo | 6 comments Dana wrote: "I don't know if I walked in with higher expectations that I should have or what, but it was just bad. Thankfully I ended up seeing it for free on accident. As of yet I do not plan on seeing Insurge..."

Free is always good.. I went to see it at the dollar theater =)

message 49: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh, I saw it opening weekend! I just had the reminder of a weird print off gift card thing from when I saw Son of God for free, and the guy behind the counter did not know how to enter it, so I got a free movie ticket...then when I told him I needed to buy one for my friend too, she also got a free one! So amazing! haha

Anastasia ^^ (cityofmultiplefandoms) I think that the book was spectacular *.* but when I saw the movie I was so disappointed I mean yeah its a good movie but compared to the book its nothing maybe because my standards were pretty high because of the book. It was also more frustrating because they changed it a lot I mean Christina took the flag ,Edward got stabbed in the eye e.t.c.

« previous 1