Parents of Tweens (9-14) discussion

Recommendations > What Goes Here

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 129 comments Mod
Have a book that you or your tween really liked? Place your recommendations for other members here. Authors, no self-promotion in this folder, please.

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 6 comments Ida B... and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World

message 4: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (readallthethings1) | 2 comments Hi I'm Audrey. I actually have taken an interest in writing and reviewing 'tween fiction and my 10 yr old niece is my go-to reference. She just finished and loved. Coyote Summer: A Summerhood Island Book

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie | 1 comments Hi I'm Annie and I'm a kid so I can defiantly recommend lots of books one of my favourites is out of my mind by Sharon Draper

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan Apgar | 2 comments Fish In A Tree was an excellent book for this age group. It is a heart-warming book that teaches us to have empathy for others who struggle and that nobody is perfect.

message 7: by Joanne (last edited Feb 27, 2017 07:27AM) (new)

Joanne Roberts | 3 comments My 12 year old son just finished both Mysteries of the Cove Books by J. Scott Savage. They are sort of steampunk dragon-machine adventures. As a measure of how awesome they are, he preferred them to Percy Jackson.

message 8: by Joc (new)

Joc | 4 comments I would recommend my favourites haha.. Most of them are fantasy books that paint a good story of friendship, integrity, forgiveness and courage, and have no inappropriate content, which is why I really like and would recommend them for children. I actually recommend against Dragonwatch and hence against Fablehaven as well, for the reason I stated in my review of Dragonwatch.

message 9: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Tarpley (mltarpley) | 2 comments **Reviewers wanted for quirky MG novel set in England**

I would love to send out an eARC for my newly released MG debut for anyone to review if interested.

"Maylie and the Maze" is a realistic fiction for grades 3-6 that will appeal to fans of the Middle School series by James Patterson, The Tapper Twins series by Geoff Rodkey, and the Melanie Martin series by Carol Weston. The book’s layout includes a variety of black and white illustrations, doodles, and other media.

Maylie and the Maze

Here's what the book is about:

Will Maylie’s dream be crushed by her own imagination?

Ten-year-old Maylie Montes’s dream is to become an author, but she has a problem. She can’t finish a story. Not a single one.

Her second problem is Camden, her annoying twin brother, who is determined to ruin their summer traveling through Europe with their famous photographer aunt and spunky grandma.

The first stop is England where a castle and maze, a new British friend, and a lot of weird words await Maylie—but the first item on her itinerary is to learn how to write, so she can finally finish a story. However, this goal may land her a one-way ticket home after her writing targets her brother in a spooky story involving a nighttime maze full of monsters. And Camden has his own plans, leaving Maylie to wonder if her imagination has actually become a reality.

Thank you for your consideration!
Morgan