Literary Adventure discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
2014 Reading Adventures > The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Madelyn Grace (literarymaddness) | 74 comments Mod
Hello Bookworms,

I surely hope you enjoyed The Book Thief as much as I did. This was my 3rd time reading this book and I fell more in love with it. Has anyone seen the movie?

1. Discuss the symbolism of Death as the omniscient narrator of the novel. What are Death’s feelings for each victim? Describe Death’s attempt to resist Liesel. Death states, “I’m always finding humans at their best and worst. I see their ugly and their beauty, and I wonder how the same thing can be both.” (p. 491) What is ugly and beautiful about Liesel, Rosa and Hans Hubermann, Max Vandenburg, Rudy Steiner, and Mrs. Hermann? Why is Death haunted by humans?

2. What is ironic about Liesel’s obsession with stealing books?

3.Liesel believes that Hans Hubermann’s eyes show kindness, and from the beginning she feels closer to him than to Rosa Hubermann. How does Hans gain Liesel’s love and trust?

4.How does Zusak use the literary device of foreshadowing to pull the reader into the story?

5. Liesel Meminger lived to be an old woman. Death says that he would like to tell the book thief about beauty and brutality, but those are things that she had lived. How does her life represent beauty in the wake of brutality? Discuss how Zusak’s poetic writing style enhances the beauty of Liesel’s story.

Erin | 104 comments Mod
I did enjoy this book. I don't know that I would enjoy the movie, but the story is touching. I was reminded of one of my Nana's favorite sayings, "It isn't the dead you have to be afraid of, it's the living." Death the Narrator is an obvious choice to show man's inhumanity to man. The beauty of humanity is also shown in so many scenes, particularly when Rudy gives the enemy pilot the teddy bear and Liesel searching for Max in each face. I hadn't heard anything about this book, but I am glad I read this one!

Colleen This is one of my favorite books of all times. I loved death as a character and hearing his opinions on the subject. I saw the movie NYE and I thought that overall they did a good job. I have one of his other novels, I'm curious to see how it compares. I found the theme of reading powerful throughout he book and just fell in love with Rudy. Her adoptive parents were good to her and I'm glad Liesel and Max got together in the end.