Literary Adventure discussion

The Bookstore
This topic is about The Bookstore
2014 Reading Adventures > The Bookstore

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Madelyn (last edited Feb 12, 2014 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Madelyn Grace (literarymaddness) | 74 comments Mod
Hello Bookworms,

I hope you are enjoying this month's reading as much as I am. Please leave feedback, I love reading it!

Happy Reading!

1. How did you experience the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to
"get into it"? How did you feel reading it—amused,
sad, disturbed, confused, bored...?

2. Have you ever found solace in a bookstore or surrounded by books?

3. Did Esme grow as a character or change by the end of the book? Do they grow or mature? Do they learn something about themselves and how the world works?

4. Is the plot engaging—does the story interest you? Is this a plot-driven book: a fast-paced page-turner?

Stay tuned for more book discussions!

Jade (jaderv) | 61 comments Mod
I rather enjoyed this book! I got into it pretty quickly! I couldn't stand Mitchell at first, but then it turns out he needs some serious help. And I wanted more to happen between Esme and Luke but overall I thought the vibe of the bookstore was pretty spot on.

I love being surrounded by books - which is why I work in a library :) - and I am like a kid on Christmas Day when I walk into a bookstore. The day always feel so much brighter after spending some time in a bookstore exploring and finding a few neat books/items!

Erin | 104 comments Mod
Like Jade, I enjoyed the book as well. I got into it, but I did find myself putting the book down several times. I liked Esme so much, and I really disliked Mitchell's treatment of her. Her inability to call him on his B.S. was so frustrating to me, but I think her growth at the book was finally shown when she did not present herself for further abuse. When Mitchell acts like a big child and won't look at Georgie, she accepts that he is losing out, not her. It is the part of the book I was waiting for!

I love books, love the smell and feel of them and I think The Bookstore captures the beauty and charm of a bookstore through the eyes of a book lover. I also appreciated Ms. Meyer's characters and their discussions about electronic vs bricks and mortar bookstores. People appreciate books for so many, personal reasons, and whatever their reasons, it makes them part of a special group. I did feel like the book was positive and uplifting, even if the ending was not a traditional "happy ending." I like the idea of the possibilities for the group of them, rather than knowing exactly what has happened to them. Maybe Esme will stay in NY, or go home, but she has options, which is more satisfying than any concrete ending.

message 4: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather (ladymcheth) I could not read more than 50 pages of this book. I just didn't like the writing style or the boyfriend, I know he was meant to be horrible and manipulative but I couldn't handle it and I didn't like how naive Esme was and unable to see Mitchell's awfulness.
Sometimes I think you either don't like the book or you're just in the completely wrong mood or frame of mind to be reading it. Oh well...

Jade (jaderv) | 61 comments Mod
I agree with you both ladies! Esme's naivete is frustrating and I really wanted her to rip Mitchell a new one. What an ass! Pardon my language. But like Erin, it was great that she figures out Mitchell is the one losing out. I'm a little fearful for reading Catch-22, the first time I read it, it was a real struggle to finish so it'll be interesting!