The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

The Blood Promise (Hugo Marston #3)
This topic is about The Blood Promise
Author's Corner > New Hugo Marston novel available

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Pryor | 11 comments Hi folks,

I meant to post this earlier, when the book first came out in January. It's the third in my Hugo Marston series, again set in Paris, France.

If you've not run across the series, Hugo is the head of security at the US Embassy in Paris. In the first novel (THE BOOKSELLER) he solved the mystery of the missing bouquinistes (aka booksellers...!) and in the second (THE CRYPT THIEF) he figured out that the person who killed two tourists in a famous cemetery was the same ghoul who stole bones from one of the graves.

Here's the cover blurb for the new one, which has received great reviews from Booklist and Publishers Weekly:

"Hugo Marston must figure out what lies hidden inside an old sailor's chest before a 200-year-old blood promise is revealed and claims another life.

In post-Revolution Paris, an old man signs a letter in blood, then hides it in a secret compartment in a sailor's chest. A messenger arrives to transport the chest and its hidden contents, but then the plague strikes and an untimely death changes history.

Two hundred years later, Hugo Marston is safeguarding an unpredictable but popular senator who is in Paris negotiating a France/U.S. dispute. The talks, held at a country chateau, collapse when the senator accuses someone of breaking into his room. Theft becomes the least of Hugo's concerns when someone discovers a sailor's chest and the secrets hidden within, and decides that the power and money they promise are worth killing for.

But when the darkness of history is unleashed, even the most ruthless and cunning are powerless to control it."

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments Already bought it but haven't had a chance to read it yet. It's on my shortlist though! Great series, I enjoyed reading the first two books.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Pryor | 11 comments Thanks Dorie, I hope you enjoy it. :)

message 4: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
I read The Bookseller with my in person book group. Really enjoyed it.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Pryor | 11 comments That's great to hear, Donna. The second one is a little more "thriller" like, as opposed to a mystery, whereas I'd say The Blood Promise is closer to The Bookseller in style.