The Great YA Book Hunt discussion

EAST: Topical Discussions > What's your attitude toward 'hype'?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tema (new)

Tema | 41 comments Mod
I usually end up treating it with a certain degree of interest and always with scepticism. Hype has a tendency of making me raise my expectations so when the book isn't as good as everyone's made it out to be then it breeds disappointment. Which nobody likes.

There are times when I don't even get the hype. Anyone been in that situation? But sometimes I do get it.

And there are lots of times when books that deserve hype don't get any!
E.g. The Chaos Walking series The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness !

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins I enjoyed the first 2 books but I felt the series was a little bit overhyped, especially the last, which just failed for me even though lots of people said they loved it. Nevertheless, a much more deserving series than Twilight! And yeah, I admit i was one of those people who were really into that series but once the hype began were so over it.

What are your thoughts about hype? Are there any books that you thought were overhyped/underhyped?

Would love to know your thoughts!

message 2: by alyssa (last edited Feb 12, 2014 09:35PM) (new)

alyssa | 19 comments I absolutely loved Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys which I think is underhyped. I know a lot of the people who have read it, loves it. But since it's a historical fiction and the protagonist is the daughter of a prostitute, people tend to stay clear of it. The novel was gritty (in a good way) and the characters were very real, making the experience that much better. I highly recommend it and think it deserves more hype!

message 3: by Tema (new)

Tema | 41 comments Mod
Cool! I haven't read Out of the Easy yet but it sounds like a really good book. Yeah, I almost feel that books that get hyped have things in common. Now that I think about it, they're usually fantasies, sci-fi's or paranormal romances. Not usually realistic-fiction. Although there are exceptions like The Fault in Our Stars.

Would you say that Shadow and Bone is getting quite a bit of hype at the moment?

message 4: by alyssa (new)

alyssa | 19 comments Yeah. I think the magic and the setting of Russia is what is so interesting and different about the book.

message 5: by Tema (new)

Tema | 41 comments Mod
Yeah, the pseudo-Russian setting gives it almost an exotic flavour. And the covers are beautiful. You can't walk away from those covers. haha

message 6: by alyssa (new)

alyssa | 19 comments Have you seen new cover of Ruin and Rising?? It is so beautiful.

message 7: by Tema (new)

Tema | 41 comments Mod
Ooh no i don't thing so!! I'll go look now!

message 8: by Tema (new)

Tema | 41 comments Mod
Pretty. It's making me salivate :P

message 9: by Taro-bun (new)

Taro-bun | 3 comments Tema wrote: "I usually end up treating it with a certain degree of interest and always with scepticism. Hype has a tendency of making me raise my expectations so when the book isn't as good as everyone's made i..."

YES! I agree! There are so many amazing books out there that don't get the attention they deserve! (E.g The Chaos Walking and The Lumatere Chronicles (btw, if anyone is looking for great series to read, these are ones that you should definitely read!))

message 10: by Tema (new)

Tema | 41 comments Mod
I think Angelfall might be hyping up. Anyone agree? On the cover I read at the bookstore, it said something like '100 5 star reviews and counting!'

I haven't read a lot of paranormal but since this has gotten so many amazing reviews i'm definitely going to read this. I hope it's amazing

message 11: by Becka (new)

Becka (becka_anne) I do think that there is lots of hype around Angelfall. Though, having read the book I feel that it is well deserved in all honesty. I loved the book, and the second in the series and simply can not wait for the next book!

message 12: by Tema (new)

Tema | 41 comments Mod
I actually found out that the bookcover says '4000 5 star reviews and counting'. My sister read it recently and said it was amazing so i want to read it. My expectations are going to be pretty high now!

message 13: by alyssa (new)

alyssa | 19 comments I recently read Angelfall and thought it was amazing! You will definitely not be disppointed, it lives up to all the great reviews about it!