The Writer's Cafe discussion

Resources > To sex or not to sex....

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Cotton (lacotton) | 5 comments I just wondered what peoples thoughts were about a romance novel without lots of sex? I am half way into my first novel and had the story all plotted out, and to be honest hadn't really considered sex as a major feature. There's plenty of sexual tension, some 'oh my moment's of their relationship but I hadn't considered writing a full sex scene I don't think the story needs it. But after doing a little research the general consensus seemed that romance needed sex...

thoughts?

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez If done correctly any romance can be without sex, or so I think. It's dependent upon if the characters or plot flat or even if thats the point of it. But -as much as i hate to admit- i've read several romances without sex or just the one with the main sex scene it was leading up to. Others even lead up to it and then kinda do a fade into the night only to come back to them in the morning.

message 3: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Cotton (lacotton) | 5 comments thanks Michael. Maybe its something that will work itself as their relationship develops on the screen (as I write it)!

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez Exactly, you really wont know until you get to that point

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat Desi (katdesiwrites) | 61 comments ^^ what Michael said. And I also like to add that I think you should consider your target audience :)

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez Katrina wrote: "^^ what Michael said. And I also like to add that I think you should consider your target audience :)"

Right on Katrina! Totally forgot about that too haha

message 7: by Kat (last edited Feb 12, 2014 12:36PM) (new)

Kat Desi (katdesiwrites) | 61 comments Michael wrote: "Right on Katrina! Totally forgot about that too haha"

Yeah 'cause when I started reading romance, I was 13 and there was an epic sex scene and I was like "OMG. WHAT. IS. THIS. IS THAT EVEN LEGAL. OMG". So... yeah. Lol.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez I had the same reaction haha idk what it was i was reading but out of nowhere it shifted into raunchy holy mother of god, i felt so dirty and yet i read on lol it was weird for me

message 9: by sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (new)

sᴏᴘʜ|☂ (nowoffish) Heh. Same with me as a twelve year old reading The Night Circus. It wasn't that bad but a bit of a shock at the time......

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez Sophia wrote: "Heh. Same with me as a twelve year old reading The Night Circus. It wasn't that bad but a bit of a shock at the time......"

Night Circus..hm don't think I recall that one. In what way was it bad?
I think I was reading something along the lines of Aztec, a very brutal story that I reread late last year and even then I felt dirty haha

message 11: by Maya (new)

Maya | 48 comments Also read the night circus when I was twelve (amazing book. Thanks for recommending it Sophia) and it wasn't THAT bad, it didn't really describe too much so... Yeah. It was a little awkward, but okay.

message 12: by Sofia (new)

Sofia | 135 comments Mod
I don't think romance needs sex. In fact, I think that sometimes a romance book is better off with just sexual tension instead of a sex scene, both because writing sex scenes is pretty tricky, and it's easy for them to be boring (especially if there are several sex scenes in the novel) or ridiculously over the top, and because sometimes the tension just bleeds out of the story once the main characters have done the deed.

message 13: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Cotton (lacotton) | 5 comments thanks guys! I'm still undecided the characters havent reached that point yet

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez Lianne wrote: "thanks guys! I'm still undecided the characters havent reached that point yet"

you'll know when the time comes :) and if you don't like it you can always edit it out

message 15: by Aldrea (new)

Aldrea Alien (aldreaalien) | 2 comments Well, like others have said, it really depends. And there are so many factors to consider. I've written stories with sex (lots of sex), a single scene, and no sex at all (in that order, too). I've also read various books with romances all along the spectrum.

I once had an outline where one of my couples was to get it on in a specific scene. The more I delved into their relationship and the closer I got to that point, I realised it wouldn't be true to the story or his character. I wound up with a pretty steamy scene, but no sex.

I've come across this a couple of times and, as such, I now believe the major question quite often isn't "sex or no sex?" but rather "does it feel natural?". If answering that question is anything other than a very firm "yes" then I think the reasons behind why it isn't must be found.

message 16: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Cotton (lacotton) | 5 comments thanks aldrea I've written in one scene which felt 'right' and two other heated scenes (no sex) I've yet to edit and revisit the book as a whole so will see how it feels against the whole story. thanks again

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Darnell (jendar27) | 6 comments I think if written with enough emotional attachment for the characters you don't have to have sex in it. One of my favorite series doesn't really have any sex sciences involved. You need to checkout authors like Patricia Briggs with her Alpha & Omega series and her Mercedes Thompson series.

message 18: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 8 comments I'm writing a YA novel & the girl is 17 and the guy is 21. So should I put sex or not? If yes how detailed should it be? :)

message 19: by Sofia (new)

Sofia | 135 comments Mod
Hey Nuzhat, please move your post to the appropriate thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/....

message 20: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 8 comments Okay :)

message 21: by Brady (new)

Brady Longmore | 46 comments I agree with most of the posts above. I think that most of the time a steamy sex scene in a novel - even in a romance - can come off feeling gratuitous and over done. Same goes for excessive profanity. A good writer IMHO is one that can still evoke the emotions of their readers without relying on a big sex scene.