Bookworm Buddies discussion

Blog It > Darcy's Delightful Days

Comments Showing 1-50 of 221 (221 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments I've never done one of these. What do I write about?

message 2: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments Discuss your favorite books. Or why you decided to start a blog. Or what you had for breakfast this morning. Or what ingredients make the perfect bananananana (I hate that word) split--and where to get it.

The possiblities are endless.

message 3: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Well said Squire.

message 4: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments I finished Reconstructing Amelia. The writing was good. The story was good. For some reason I didn't find it great.

Its a beautiful day here. I'll be taking my kids outside today.

Happy Reading

message 5: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 14076 comments Mod
Darcy I have been wanting to read this book, I just have not gotten around to buying it. One of these days I will though.

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments I have this book. But haven't read it as of yet. I am glad you liked it.

message 7: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments I've been enjoying The Unfortunate Events Series. Such a fun series to read.

Been thinking about cataloging my books some how. Does anyone else do this? Ideas on how to do this? I'm debating on a paper system or a app on my phone.

message 8: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments I use an Excel Spreadsheet onm my PC.

message 9: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Right now I just have it typed on my computer.

message 10: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments I have my movie library in an Access database and it works really well, to. I just started my list of books long before then and it would be a major chore to put them all into Access at the point.

message 11: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments Last night I searched through my 16 year olds phone. I dreaded doing it. I'm glad I did though. Found out he was having suicidal thoughts. Called our therapist. He has a session today. Thinking his anti depressants are making his depression worse.

I wish I could escape into a book. My mind is working overtime trying to think up solutions.

message 12: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Darcy so sad to hear this. I hope that his therapist can help him out. It is always so stressful when our kids are having such a hard time. Sending prayers your way.

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 460 comments Adding my prayers, Darcy.

message 14: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments Thank You.

He sees the doctor today. She'll see if he needs to be hospitalized. I truly thinks it the meds.

Anti Depressants in teens can enhance the depression. Before my son started taking the meds he talked to me more. Now he shuts down. This has been going on since the middle of January. His medicine has been changed twice. He's been hospitalized twice.

I do appreciate the thoughts, prayers & kind words.

message 15: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 685 comments Darcy I will keep you and your son in my thoughts and prayers. I know what it is like to go through a stage like the one he is going. But he is lucky to have a mom like you who cares so much about him.

message 16: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments Oh, thank you. I needed that. Depression literally sucks! It runs in my family.

message 17: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Feb 28, 2014 11:11AM) (new)

Darcy I do hope they find a solution for your son. It really has to be very stressful for all involved. But I gotta say he is lucky to have a mom who cares. It is unfortunate for many who do not.

message 18: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments Doctor wants him off all meds to see if that'll help. His mood is improving.

message 19: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments I am so glad you searched through your son's phone. As a mother of a 14 yr old and 20 yr old daughters, I understand why you had to do this. Now he can get the help he needs. Are you going to take him off the meds? Its funny you should talk about this. I was just talking to my daughter and she was telling me one of her girlfriends is having similar issues.

message 20: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments Yep. He is off the meds. The Dr did prescribe a fast acting anti anxiety med. Which is what we were trying to fix before. He was taking Zoloft which caused his minimal depression to be extreme that he became hospitalized at the end of January. Then they changed his med to another anti depressant then a week later he was hospitalized again.

message 21: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Oh goodness. So these meds were making it worse. Thank God he is off the meds and doing better.

message 22: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Glad he is off of the meds Darcy. I hope this helps him out.

message 23: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 1889 comments Thank God he has you for a Mom! It's not easy, especially when we can't figure out how to help, Frustrating... So very glad things are looking up. Take Care

message 24: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments Its amazing! He is actually laughing, smiling & making jokes! He has said that he still has random sucidal thoughts. They're not as intense as they were. At least he's talking to me about it.

Thank you all for your kind words.

message 25: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

That's really good to hear Darcy!

message 26: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 1889 comments What a relief,, I pray for continued success! Hang in girl. They are so precious.

message 27: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments Glad to hear things are working out, Darcy. I've seen the mess anti-depressant medications can make of a person. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

message 28: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments I had a family emergency. My mom was knocking on deaths door. I had to make a trip to California. The doctors are amazed that she didn't die & isn't brain dead. I didn't get much reading done this month. Hopefully things will be a lot calmer this year.

message 29: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments A update on my son: he isnt taking any medications. He is doing great. Anxiety is still a issue though.

message 30: by Holly (last edited Mar 28, 2014 05:08PM) (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Sorry to hear about your mom, Darcy. I hope that everything's alright with her now.

Good to hear that your son is doing better as well.

message 31: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 685 comments Sorry to hear about your mom, but glad that your son is doing better. I have some anixity issues myself.

message 32: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Darcy, so sorry to hear about your mom! I hope she is recovering! I am however glad to hear about your son. I hope he can get past the anxiety issues. I have issues myself with anxiety when it come to specific things. But so far I have done well with no drugs for that. They started me on Xanax many years ago, and I just felt like I did not need them, so I don't take them.

message 33: by ✨Susan✨ (last edited Mar 29, 2014 08:46AM) (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 1889 comments I hope your mom is doing better, it sounds serious. I'm so glad your son is doing better! Like Janie I have high anxiety occasionally and was given Xanax as well. I may take two a year, when it just gets to be too much. I think for me its not that I absolutely need them but it makes me feel better knowing that they are there if I need them. Just knowing that I can take one helps to reduce that OMG feeling. Nobody wants to use a safety net but it truly helps to know its there.

message 34: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments I too struggle with anxiety & depression myself.

My mom had a seizure & they couldn't get her to stop seizing for a while. she wasn't breathing & was unresponsive. She was on a ventilator. The doctor said she was going to die. We made a trip. Drove non stop except for gas & potty breaks from Nebraska to California. When we got there she was still un responsive. I spoke to her about some difficult things. She started crying. the next d ay she was opening her eyes and turned her head. The she was awake & breathing on her own. The doctors said its a miracle she's alive. Come to find out she had the seizure because she stopped taking her medicine. She doesn't have seizures, usually. However now she is more prone to them now. We dont know the extent of brain damage yet.

I wish she would've come back home with me, but she didn't.

With how medicine had effected my son then with my mom, im kinda worried about taking Tylenol. Just Kidding, but it does make ya wonder.....

message 35: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 685 comments I am on some medications that help with anitxeity but I have been finding other ways of dealing with it instead of just popping a pill every time I feel stressed out.

message 36: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 1889 comments Darcy wrote: "I too struggle with anxiety & depression myself.

My mom had a seizure & they couldn't get her to stop seizing for a while. she wasn't breathing & was unresponsive. She was on a ventilator. The ..."

No kidding Darcy. How friggin scary is that, wow! Well I hope she has a full and fast recovery.

It's ridiculous with this drug thing, almost everybody takes something now. It used to be a big deal to take anything, now your in the minority if you don't. Eek!

message 37: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 685 comments And meditation is so expense even with insurance!

message 38: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Mar 30, 2014 04:59PM) (new)

Darcy wrote: "With how medicine had effected my son then with my mom, im kinda worried about taking Tylenol. Just Kidding, but it does make ya wonder."

Darcy I completely understand what you are saying. My mom was addicted to prescription drugs. Something for headaches and something for stomach. She could not function when she was on the meds and she became a very hateful person. Since she was addicted to them she would take them even when she did not need them. So I rarely take anything, even for a headache, just because of my mom. I know that is silly, but when that is your life for your first 18 years you can't hardly help feeling that way.

message 39: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments Yes. Exactly! Medicine can be helpful. I'm just feeling really cautious with what happened to my mom then my son. The doctor wants to give my kid medicine for his anxiety. I would rather he learn techniques that will soothe him.

It's so easy to become addicted to things or even to people.

Janie- Im sorry that happened. My mom actually went to California so she could smoke the medical marijuana. I have no doubts that it helps her pain. She has MS, arthritis & that fibromyalgia (spelling?) My mom use to be a addict. She couldn't handle the pain anymore.

message 40: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 1889 comments Wow Darcey, so sorry. She has a triple whammy. When it rains it pours. Please in all of this turmoil take care of you. You are important too!

message 41: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Darcy I hope that everything works out for everyone involved, it is never easy when it affects our families! Keeping y'all in my prayers.

message 42: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments Im reading Black Cat by VC Andrews. It so closely follows Flowers in the Attic that I'm losing interest very fast. Perhaps the ghost writer isnt allowed to have their own ideas.

message 43: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Sorry Darcy, I haven't been around much lately so I've only just read about your mum. I'm so sorry to hear what happened, that must have been so scary for you. I really hope she is recovering well. Sending you my thoughts and a big hug!

message 44: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments I finished reading We Are Water by Wally Lamb. I loved it. Such a good story. The writing was good.

Now I'm reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards.

My mom is doing much better. She isnt doing physical therapy.

message 45: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 685 comments Glad to hear your mom is doing better and I hope that you and your son are doing well also

message 46: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments Thanks! My son is doing better. We haven't been getting along.

I've been stressed out. Dont know how to handle it. Suggestions?

message 47: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments I'm so glad to hear that your mum and son are doing better but sorry to hear how stressed you are. Stress can be really hard to deal with - have you tried yoga? I find that it is massively beneficial to me.

message 48: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (darcycornell) | 310 comments Thats a good idea. I dont know why I never thought of doing yoga before. do u get ur exercise from a video or a book?

message 49: by Shell (last edited Apr 15, 2014 06:00PM) (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments I actually go to classes at the community centre near where I live, but there are some great websites - www.yogaglo.com/ is one that I know of and you can probably find a stack of stuff on YouTube. I'm sure there are books available but if you can't get to a class I think a video would be the next best thing - you need someone to explain the various positions and breathing techniques. It has really, really helped me to control my breathing and be more conscious of how I'm breathing - that plays a huge role in my stress levels. Also, a bonus is that you get really good core strength and nicely toned muscles :D

message 50: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 1889 comments Good in... bad out. Love it! Just starting my summer toning. It's amazing how good it makes you feel Darcy. Most TV cable Co. have some sort of yoga offering. Beginners is what I love and them move on only if I am totally sure I want to. It is something to enjoy and gain inner piece. Corny...right? Even just the breathing is good.

« previous 1 3 4 5