For the love of Horror discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group reads > Recommendations for March 2014 group read.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Francis (emilylarson) | 577 comments Mod
What should the theme be for the month of March? Throw in a theme and TWO book ideas that fall under the theme you'd like to read. It can be something you've already read or one you want to read. I just feel like I kind of dropped the ball last night and didn't start things soon enough. So I'm stating it now. So have fun with it!

Theme Haunted houses

The two books I'd like to throw in are Hell House by Richard Matheson and In the Dark of the Night by John Saul

This thread will be open until March first so happy choosing and lets see what everyone can come up with. :)

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I'll continue the theme of haunted houses because it is my favorite in the genre: hard to stop at just two, my short list includes eight.......but these will be my two choices for now:

Julia by Peter Straub Julia

Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker Coldheart Canyon

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian Reed | 20 comments As much as i like haunted houses (and i'm sure there will be a lot) i figure i'll do something different just to throw some extra jazz out there.

Theme: Frozen Unknown

And here are the choices. The Terror by Dan Simmons and The Abominable by Dan Simmons

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian Reed | 20 comments Katharine wrote: "What should the theme be for the month of March? Throw in a theme and TWO book ideas that fall under the theme you'd like to read. It can be something you've already read or one you want to read. I..."

I really like the idea of reading John Saul again. It's been a very long time since i've read anything by him.

message 5: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) Brian wrote: "As much as i like haunted houses (and i'm sure there will be a lot) i figure i'll do something different just to throw some extra jazz out there.

And here are the choices. ..."

I'm going to back this one because a) that theme is awesome and b) I've been dying to read that dan simmons book

message 6: by Katharine (new)

Brian wrote: "As much as i like haunted houses (and i'm sure there will be a lot) i figure i'll do something different just to throw some extra jazz out there.

And here are the choices. ..."

Oh man! Those two have just been added to the list of books I want to read.

message 7: by Katharine (new)

Holly wrote: "I'll continue the theme of haunted houses because it is my favorite in the genre: hard to stop at just two, my short list includes eight.......but these will be my two choices for now:

[bookcover:..."

I don't know why I like haunted houses so much because they pretty much all have the same plot with the ghosts but I still love them!

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Katharine wrote: "Holly wrote: "I'll continue the theme of haunted houses because it is my favorite in the genre: hard to stop at just two, my short list includes eight.......but these will be my two choices for now..."

Yeah, not a whole lot of variety in plot; I mostly enjoy the stylistic differences of the authors and how they approach and treat this classic horror theme.

message 9: by Katharine (new)

So we have a week or so to throw in ideas about what we should read for the month of March. These keep the ideas coming. :)

message 10: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) "blood" in the title Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1) by Tessa Gratton

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Patricia wrote: "Holly wrote: "I'll continue the theme of haunted houses because it is my favorite in the genre: hard to stop at just two, my short list includes eight.......but these will be my two choices for now..."

Yes, it is. Some of the other suggestions here look good for summer reading......but right now there is just no way I want to read about anything to do with the arctic or frozen wastelands. In July I will be much more comfortable reading those......for the same reason I like to watch Fargo on a steamy, sweaty day.

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott Bonn (DocBonn) | 16 comments Hi friends, Can you bear to read the real life horror tale of the twisted “Co-ed Killer” in my new Psychology Today article?
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/w...
Hope you enjoy!

message 13: by Marie (new)

Marie Haunted House by Jack Kilborn and The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson

One book not true and one book true.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.