A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Similar Books

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saad (new)

Saad Mallik | 6 comments hey guys I really liked martins style of writing and the whole fantasy genre as a whole, so I was wondering if any of you know any good similar books that you like yourself? I've read LOTR and Kingkiller chronicle and liked those as well. I'm also looking for a lengthy book, similar to GoT. Thanks =D

message 2: by Nelson (new)

Nelson | 320 comments Malazan Book of the Fallen, my friend.

Dark, Gritty, Complex and lengthy series. It's not for everybody and it's quite a commitment, but I cannot recommended it enough.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/4349...

:)

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 131 comments Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards books, the first of which is Lies of Locke Lamora. A great series, 3 so far.

message 4: by Saad (new)

Saad Mallik | 6 comments thanks for the suggestions, they look really nice and I appreciate the quick response :)

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam Evans (adamandeveevans) The First Law by Joe Abercrombie 6 books
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Also..

Prince of thorns by Mark Lawrence
The chronicles of thomas covenant by Stephen R Donaldson

The expanse is a very good si fi series as well by James SA Corey

Hope that helps

message 6: by Jon (new)

Jon | 5 comments Try the Farseer Trilogy and then if you like it there are 6 other books set in the same world. I'm just about finishing the first trilogy and I highly recommend it.

Hobb is quite a descriptive writer and the books are full of interesting characters and 'political intrigue' at court.

message 7: by Saad (last edited Feb 12, 2014 01:19PM) (new)

Saad Mallik | 6 comments Yeah I looked into the Farseer trilogy a couple of days ago and its on my list, so is Prince of Thorns. the other books look good too. Thanks guys.

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat (katsobsession) | 141 comments Can't recommend The Wheel of Time enough!!!

message 9: by N (new)

N | 234 comments I didn't like the Wheel of Time, it was too Lord of the Rings for me and I was over the 'fantasy epic' years ago. The Game of Thrones series isn't really fantasy in the trolls and magic kind of way so I'd like a similar series suggestion that is more 'people and politics' than 'magic and people who are called Xylophone or Zimbabweum' please ;)

message 10: by Saad (new)

Saad Mallik | 6 comments haha yeah those types of books are good too, but I mentioned 2 other fantasy series which is why I can understand that everyone is offering fantasy suggestions

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 131 comments If you want to go old school, Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser. Both GRRM & Rothfuss mentioned Leiber as an early influence. Most of the stories appeared in magazines in the 50s-70s but they are still a good read.

message 12: by Clifford (new)

Clifford Terry (tezjito5) | 4 comments There are some great recommends here but I would like to add to this list a book I just finished, Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff. A blend of samurai culture, steampunk and Asian mythology.

message 13: by Gregg Murray (last edited Feb 14, 2014 11:49AM) (new)

Gregg Murray I understand you're looking for a lengthy read, but if you need something quick, "The Ascendance Trilogy" is a pretty good read. They're middle-grade fantasy, and the final one is being released this month. Sometimes I enjoy an easy, but good read, just as much as one that makes me dive deep into it.

message 14: by Saad (new)

Saad Mallik | 6 comments Stormdancer and Ascendance both sound good, I'll be sure to check them out :)

message 15: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Ah, suggestion threads, fun to give advice and wonder if a person actually looks into our ideas. Let me give you some of my opinions on some of the series mentioned and series read

I read the first 4 in the Malzahn Chronicles and gave up on it couple of months ago. It is a very good gritty series. The characters are engaging and memorable, but unfortunately for me it took me about 100 pages to get into the books due to it changing characters or locations in the book.

I liked reading Hobb's books and have all of them in the series. The last trilogy has started slow for me. I hope it improves in the 2nd book.

I like Lynch's books. They are really good and engaging. I am just waiting for the third one to get on paperback.

The other ones listed are on my list and I have only read the first one in Abercrombie's series. Good start.

Recommendations, I like Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan. Good magic, gun powder, and throw in some Gods stuff.
The next one The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett
I am big fan of Rules of Ascension by David B. Coe

I will leave it at three, good luck with your search.

message 16: by Hollieann (new)

Hollieann | 2 comments I'm currently reading Maurice Druon's "The Iron King" which is very much like GOT but has an element of truth and is an easy read :-) (in fact this is apparently the series that GRRM read that inspired him to write ASOIAF)

message 17: by Gregg Murray (new)

Gregg Murray Hollieann wrote: "I'm currently reading Maurice Druon's "The Iron King" which is very much like GOT but has an element of truth and is an easy read :-) (in fact this is apparently the series that GRRM read that insp..."
I've heard very good things about this series, but when I look it up, I can only find the first book. The rest were in French. Do you know if the rest are out in English?

message 18: by Hollieann (new)

Hollieann | 2 comments There's a foreward written by GRRM at the beginning of the first book that explains the books and why he likes them so much - and he points out that its only the last book that hasn't been translated into english (which could be frustrating in itself!)

message 19: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Nestvold (ruthnestvold) | 16 comments Keep the recommendations coming, folks, and I'll keep adding them to the Facebook page. :)

https://www.facebook.com/WhattoReadAf...

message 20: by Saad (new)

Saad Mallik | 6 comments the Facebook page is a great idea! thanks for taking the time to make it and updating it.

message 21: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 131 comments There are plans to reprint the whole series, but if sales are flat who knows. Second book, Strangled Queen is out, The ebook for Iron King is on sale.

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 256 comments Can I suggest The Silk & Steel Saga, an epic tale knights and swords, castles and monasteries, sorcery and seduction, inspired by George Martin's Game of Thrones. The Steel Queen (The Silk & Steel Saga, #1) by Karen Azinger The Flame Priest (The Silk & Steel Saga, #2) by Karen Azinger The Skeleton King (The Silk & Steel Saga, #3) by Karen Azinger The Poison Priestess (The Silk & Steel Saga, #4) by Karen Azinger The Knight Marshal (The Silk & Steel Saga, #5) by Karen Azinger The Steel Queen

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael | 37 comments Manipulation, Political Intrigue, Great World Building, Awesome Characters:

The Mirror of Her Dreams (Mordant's Need, #1) by Stephen R. Donaldson
A Man Rides Through (Mordant's Need, #2) by Stephen R. Donaldson

message 24: by Carlos Eduardo (last edited Oct 05, 2015 06:07AM) (new)

Carlos Eduardo Madureira Trufen (kdutrufen) | 5 comments Raphael Draccon's Cemitério de Dragões
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 25: by Holly (last edited Oct 05, 2015 05:54AM) (new)

Holly (goldikova) Shardik (Beklan Empire #1) by Richard Adams and Maia (Beklan Empire #2) by Richard Adams

Shardik was written first, but the events in Maia take place before the events in Shardik, so I would recommend reading Maia first.

Maia could have been the inspiration for Danaerys, there is a bald master of spies (who also happens to be so fat he cannot walk across the room; sort of like a certain High Septon?) and the Baron Bel-ka-Trazet's scarred face reminds me of the Hound.......sort of makes me wonder if GRRM maybe read this book when it was published in the mid-80's......