Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Mixing Thrillers with the Supernatural...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Domino (new)

Domino Finn (dominofinn) | 8 comments As a firm community of Thriller fans, I was curious as to what the range of thoughts are on these novels having supernatural elements? Obviously some people will hate it because it isn't their thing, and that's fine, but are Mysteries and Thrillers genres that can allow for fantasy elements, in your mind?

I'm writing what I consider a Supernatural Thriller (no plug here) and I was wondering how the Thriller community regards these types of novels? Perhaps you are fine with it as long as certain Thriller elements are preserved? Perhaps your definition of Thriller is more rigid or relaxed than others? Perhaps you think it is a bad idea for me to market a book with a police detective and werewolves in that category?

Anyway, your thoughts on mixing genres, and your personal preferences, would be much appreciated!

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments If you are talking about the kind of stuff Dean Kootz does, I have read much of his Odd Thomas and some of his other stuff. It eventually started wearing on me.
John Connelly, on the other had, has mixed a supernatural element into his mystery/thrillers almost from the word go, but the story telling is of such high quality I continue to read them.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments I could just about see Harry Dresden fitting into a category like that, even if the books are considered urban fantasy.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14290 comments Domino: this is an interesting question. I like a little supernatural (or fantasy) in the books I read and the mystery thriller genre and police procedurals are among my favorites, so combining both is not a stretch for me. Count me in on the side of enjoying John Connelly's or Jim Butcher's style. Jasper Fford combines a detective / avenging hero novel with a full fantasy world in the Thursday Next books (favorites of mine) and I especially like the fantasy / supernatural elements of the YA books that Maggie Stiefvater has written(The Raven Boys,The Scorpio Races) and books like The Night Circus (Erin Morgenstern) and The Thirteenth Tale

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments I think the Sookie Stackhouse (Charlaine Harris) and Anita Blake (J.D. Robb) series must fall into this category also. Not a fan of the genre, but what made me at least begin these series is that there was a strong element of mystery, murder, crime detection, police procedure, etc. in the story. So the stories were grounded in those basics, despite whatever flights of fancy they took in various directions.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments I think the Sookie Stackhouse (Charlaine Harris) and Anita Blake (Laurell K. Hamilton) series must fall into this category also. Not a fan of the genre, but what made me at least begin these series is that there was a strong element of mystery, murder, crime detection, police procedure, etc. in the story. So the stories were grounded in those basics, despite whatever flights of fancy they took in various directions.

message 7: by Domino (new)

Domino Finn (dominofinn) | 8 comments Thanks for all the great responses. I will need to look into John Connolly /Jim Butcher, and some others. Some of this is definitely similar to Urban Fantasy- there really is a lot of overlap between all these genres but, like Carol said, I want to focus on the police procedural aspects to make sure fans get what they want. I think I am settling on calling it a supernatural crime thriller... how could that not tell you what the book is about?

Now I need to decide which or these recommendations to read first!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14290 comments I bet you will enjoy your research, Domino!
Domino wrote: "Thanks for all the great responses. I will need to look into John Connolly /Jim Butcher, and some others.
...Now I need to decide which or these recommendations to read first! "

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments I think supernatural crime thriller is a good descriptor... I might even read such a book!

Good luck, Domino.

message 10: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments Supernatural Crime Thriller would get you into multiple categories in any genre listings. Good choice.