The Help The Help discussion

Book Club Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel Hi Guys!
I'm a small town librarian and have recently started a book club here at the library. Most of my members are moms of young children, and so far we have read "The Best Man" by Kristan Higgins (it takes place right near our own town!), "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society", and "The Help." We're meeting in two weeks to discuss "The Help", but I've already heard that everyone LOVED it and couldn't put it down. I'm hoping to use this excitement to get them excited to read more books. While I don't want a book with the same topics or themes as "The Help", do you have any recommendations for un-put-downable books that I could put up for a vote amongst my members?

Thank you!

Robert Smith The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

Margaret Gone Girl.

Susie Brocke These have been the top-rated books in our Club:
The Giver
Unbroken
The Help
The Rules of Civility
Fall of Giants
Hotel on Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Sarah's Key

Lauren The Glass Castle

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue The Kitchen House
Lost Lake
Blackberry Winter
Me Before You
Necessary Lies

Alfredo Castro Push by Sapphire, and it has some questions in the end that you can use in your book club :D

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Smythe Garden Spells
Thursdays at Eight

message 10: by Star (new) - rated it 5 stars

Star Forbis Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons! You don't want to finish this Book, cause you feel like you're leaving Friends.

Rachel Thanks, everyone! These are great :)

message 12: by Anastasia (last edited Feb 12, 2014 11:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anastasia The Book Thief
The Night Guest
Life of Pi - This is probably my favorite book. I am not religious myself but the book dives into many different religions and ideas and is so thought provoking. I could see many different people walking away from this book with something different to say. It would be a great Book Club discussion.

Caroline Greenblatt Serena by Ron Rash. Thrilling Read.

Traci Anastasia wrote: "The Book Thief
The Night Guest
Life of Pi - This is probably my favorite book. I am not religious myself but the book dives into many different religions and ideas and is so thought provoking. I c..."

I just finished The Book Thief and I have watched the Life of Pi movie. I really wanted to read Life of Pi even before I saw the movie. But now, I don't know if I can enjoy the book as much. What do you think? Have you watched the movie? I know the books are usually better.

Jeffery Lee Radatz "The Life of Pi" is a good book. So is "The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet". "The Book Thief" is an awesome one also!

Anastasia Traci wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "The Book Thief
The Night Guest
Life of Pi - This is probably my favorite book. I am not religious myself but the book dives into many different religions and ideas and is so thou..."

I think you would still enjoy reading the book. I have also seen the movie, and I think with the book you get a deeper look into Pi's mindset throughout the entire story. Also, you definitely get a deeper insight into his religious views and how he came upon them. The movie touches on this, but only lightly.

Sarah Warren Gill The kitchen house
A house in the sky
The luminiaries

Debbie Still Alice
Me Before You

Sarah Warren Gill The Hand That First Held Mine
The Secret Keeper
The Twelve Tribes of Hattie
Before I Go To Sleep
Sutton
The Light Between Oceans
A Fierce Radiance
The Postmistress
The Dovekeepers
The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

message 20: by Juliana (new) - added it

Juliana I read still Alice and The Girl in Times Square in our book club recently.

Martha The Signature of All Things

Everyone loved it and there was so much to discuss, that we came back to it the next month!!!

Cindy I second The Light Between Oceans, but I also wanted to let you know that as an author I'm willing to phone in or skype with book clubs. My latest is Grace's Pictures and the next one, Annie's Stories comes out this July. Glad to see there are still active book clubs enjoying novels!

Cindy Cross Creek by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings if you like good southern authors.

Bonnie McKeating Held Hostage: A Story of Love & Mental Illness!

Penny we've had a lot of good ones but the very best have been

The Other Side of the Bridge
The Light Between the Oceans
Me Before You
Dominion

hope that helps!

Tolly the rosie project
still alice
gone girl
the night circus
glass castle
the weird sisters

Samantha Harris and Me
Ahh... I love that book.

message 28: by AliJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

AliJ A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

message 29: by Juliana (new) - added it

Juliana Harrold fry, still Alice, the girl in Times Square

Shirley J The DRY Grass of August (same era as the Help .. not a similar story) ; The CONSTANT Princess ; A GOOD American ; STATE of Wonder ; DEAFening ; SNOW Flower and the Secret Fan ; The EYRE Affair ; MOLOkai ; MADAME Tussaud: A novel of the French Revolution ; HALF-Broke Horses.

Our book group also read titles Gertt mentioned earlier: The Language of Flowers ; Winter Garden ; The Glass Castle

Rachel Thank you everyone! We're reading Gone Girl this month (I've already read it but no one else had!). I'll keep consulting this list for future ideas. You all rock!