Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Reaver  (Lords of Deliverance, #5; Demonica, #10)
This topic is about Reaver
Archived: Series Reads > Reaver (Lords of Deliverance #5) by Larissa Ione (start date: 14,Feb,2014)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Feb 11, 2014 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments

WARRIOR OF HEAVEN

Reaver is an angel with a past, a record, and a less-than-heavenly attitude. Powerful enough to fight alongside the fiercest battle angels-and crazy enough to risk his wings on a one-way mission to hell-he's agreed to go where no angel has ever gone before...to steal the most seductive and dangerous prize of Satan himself.

ANGEL OF HELL

Harvester is one of the Fallen, a once-heroic angel who sacrificed her wings to work as an undercover agent in hell. But now her cover has been blown, and she's been doomed to an eternity of agonizing torture. Even if Reaver can snatch her away from Satan's lair, even if they can fight their way out of the underworld's darkest depths, there is one thing Harvester can never escape-her newfound thirst for an angel's blood..

Lauren and I will be reading this ,starting Friday .Please feel free to join us.

And as always expect Spoilers!

message 2: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm going to start this in a bit.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lauren , did we have Uriel in this series before or is it only familiar because he was in Dresden files?
What about Zachariel?

Lauren (laurenjberman) I can't remember an Uriel or a Zachariel in the series before.

Do you want to just read and comment or divide up the chapters for discussion questions?

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Since it's just the 2 of us let's make it easy! We can comment or ask question as we go. What do you think?
I'm still on chapter 1, I had busy day. How far are you?

Lauren (laurenjberman) That sounds good to me. Haven't started yet. Will start after breakfast.

message 7: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments How are you feeling?

Lauren (laurenjberman) Much better, thanks.
I have to take these huge antibiotic pills (I break them in half so that I can swallow them, lol!) but there's little to no pain.

message 9: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments why don't they return his memories? why do they say havester hated him? why not let him rescue her? these archangels seem like a*holes! But why give him the Chrystal?

message 10: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Starting chapter 2

Lauren (laurenjberman) The archangels definitely seem to have their own agenda. Obviously Raphael wants Reaver to rescue Harvester but he also wants deniability - very mission impossible.

As to Reaver's memories - there must be something really bad and if he remembers what it is, it might bring about the apocalypse. After all, he is the one destined to break the 4 horse men's seal...

Harvester and Reaver have been at odds for most of the series so it wouldn't be surprising that she hates him but I think that nothing is as it seems.

Lauren (laurenjberman) Chapter 2

So Harvester is out of the loop and doesn't know that Yenrieth and Reaver are one and the same.

I wonder why it is forbidden for angels to connect to each other the way that Verrine and Yenrieth did? Is the link the reason why Harvester is so attracted to Reaver?

Isn't Gethel taking the whole woman scorned thing a bit too far?

message 13: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Good point about Reaver's memory and apocalypse!

Love and hate are so close maybe she hates him because of the feeling she has toward him. And the link could be the reason for the attraction.
I really like to get to the point when she finds out Yenerith and Reaver are the same. I hope it doesn't happen at the end of the book!

Gethel is taking it too far,she is ready to die for it! Ughh!
What she told H about Lucifer's birth and what he'd do afterwards was so scary, I don't want to imagine how a grown man could come out of her but it keeps popping back to my mind!

message 14: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Starting chapter 4,I'm going slow because I can't remember who was who, when I remember everything I'll read faster!

message 15: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I just remembered something. Reaver said he only remembered the last thirty years but that can't be right. In one of the first books he knew why he had fallen. He had helped a charmed woman(Serena's mother ) do something against the rules. So he could remember things from before!
One mor thibg,isn't it against the rules for angels to have sex? How did Satan had children while he was still in heaven?

message 16: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Feb 14, 2014 09:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments In chapter 7 Reaver healed Tavin and his neck mark changed, I think this is going to be really significant and will play an important part!

message 17: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Just finished chapter 10, what do you think would happen to H after finishing what they started in the last page of this chapter ?

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm currently on chapter 5 - I'm also going slowly because I need to refresh my memory every so often. It took me a while to remember who Revenant was.

ShoSho wrote: "I really like to get to the point when she finds out Yenerith and Reaver are the same. I hope it doesn't happen at the end of the book!"

I also hope it doesn't get too drawn out. I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop when that happens and it takes some of the enjoyment out of reading.

I don't want to imagine how a grown man could come out of her but it keeps popping back to my mind!

That is NOT a pretty image *shudder*

Re Reaver's memory - I think his memory loss predates his becoming Unfallen when he saved Serena by transferring the protective charm from her mother (its in Passion Unleashed). He remembers everything from then (30 years) but nothing from before.

I can't remember any rule against angels having sex and children. The way I understand it is that Verrine aka Harvester was conceived before Satan fell from grace.

Lauren (laurenjberman) Comments on chapters 3 and 4:

Have I mentioned how much I love the Seminus demons and their banter. Wraith always cracks me up.

One thing that bothers me about this series is that the excessive violence has a desensitizing effect. I find it difficult to feel the horror and disgust at the pain and suffering Harvester endures from the torture because it is written so off-hand and I know that she will heal in no time. There is no emotional impact in the descriptions.

message 20: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Huh, I don't remember revenant at all,though he is a new character! Who is he?

can't remember any rule against angels having sex and children. The way I understand it is that Verrine aka Harvester was conceived before Satan fell from grace.
I don't know why I thought they couldn't!

message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Feb 15, 2014 02:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I love the Sems too! They are more fun than the horsemen!

One thing that bothers me about this series is that the excessive violence has a desensitizing effect. I find it difficult to feel the horror and disgust at the pain and suffering Harvester endures from the torture because it is written so off-hand and I know that she will heal in no time. There is no emotional impact in the descriptions.

My thoughts exactly! I hate reading about rape but i didnt feel anything reading those parts.
it's just too much it falls from the other end. She seems too relaxed for someone who has endured this much torture!

Lauren (laurenjberman) Revenant is the fallen angel who replaced Harvester as the horsemen's evil watcher in Rogue Rider - he's totally obnoxious.

message 23: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lauren wrote: "Revenant is the fallen angel who replaced Harvester as the horsemen's evil watcher in Rogue Rider - he's totally obnoxious."

I gathered this much,can't remember him from before!

I finished chapter 12 ,only thing I can say is: "eeeeep "
(view spoiler)

message 24: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 17
(view spoiler)

Lauren (laurenjberman) On chapter 11:

Something funky is going on with Reaver's powers. He definitely changed Tavin's mark to a snake and I agree that this is going to be significant later.

It could also have an effect on Harvester when she feeds from Reaver - maybe it will do as predicted and she will become more evil but i don't think so as Ione is obviously working it the other way OR maybe she will see into Reaver's past. That would be cool...

I'm still on the fence about Harvester's character - I know she was never truly evil but she still did some terrible things that are difficult to come to terms with (similar to Reseph).

message 26: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Feb 15, 2014 10:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lauren wrote: Ione is obviously working it the other way"

Yep when she emphasize on something so much, it's a safe bet that it would go just the opposite. H had 3 blood donors plus R.And again and again we were told how bad it would be if she drinks from R! Something happened to all three so she had to drink from R!
But I loved how it all went! It was exactly what I wanted!

message 27: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments How far are you? Chapter 20 yet?

message 28: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Feb 16, 2014 03:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments What we know about the past:
Chapter 20
(view spoiler)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm at a staff meeting right now. Will get back to reading once I'm done - currently on chapter 12

Lauren (laurenjberman) Chapter 12 comments:

Jeez that Rapahel is a butthead! So he's got it in for Reaver - I wonder if it has something to do with Reaver's powers.

"Eeeep" Is right! Switching the babies is simply diabolical - I really hope that isn't what happens!

There is a weird discrepancy - Harvester says she stopped sensing Yenrieth when everyone's memories were erased but Metatron says this happened when she went to Sheoul?

After Harvester stops drinking, Reaver says he remembers. What exactly?

message 31: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments
There is a weird discrepancy - Harvester says she stopped sensing Yenrieth when everyone's memories were erased but Metatron says this happened when she went to Sheoul?

That's why I wrote post 28 ,there are too many things that happened in the past that are not clear. We still don'y know why everyone's memory and Yenrieth's were erased and when she went to Sheoul. they could have happened at the same time .

message 32: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments After Harvester stops drinking, Reaver says he remembers. What exactly?

You have to read it ;)

Jeez that Rapahel is a butthead! So he's got it in for Reaver - I wonder if it has something to do with Reaver's powers.

I don't like him.You'd think an archangel should be a pure and innocent being but he doesn't seem to be beyond petty things!

Lauren (laurenjberman) Chapter 17 - actually, I'm thinking that the first ritual Raphael performed had something to do with Reaver and why he is so powerful. It may also be connected to why Raphael despises Reaver...

message 34: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lauren wrote: "Chapter 17 - actually, I'm thinking that the first ritual Raphael performed had something to do with Reaver and why he is so powerful. It may also be connected to why Raphael despises Reaver..."

Yes I'm thinking it's either this or that. Somebody is not his/her parent's child!

Lauren (laurenjberman) ShoSho wrote: "don't like him.You'd think an archangel should be a pure and innocent being but he doesn't seem to be beyond petty things! "

Me either! He definitely isn't pure and the whole doing evil for the greater good doesn't sound very archangely to me

What do you think of Revenant's character? He seems to have an interesting moral code for a Fallen Angel.

What about Blaspheme? Is she really a False Angel or maybe something else?

message 36: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments What do you think of Revenant's character? He seems to have an interesting moral code for a Fallen Angel.

Yes he doesn't seem to be evil and it seems that he wants to do something good!

What about Blaspheme? Is she really a False Angel or maybe something else?
No I think she is something more , if she was just a false angel there wouldn't have been the questions!
But I i'm not sure this will come to play in this book or the future books (are there any?)

message 37: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Feb 16, 2014 03:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm at 69% (chapter 25 ) ,it's bad !

message 38: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments There is going to be at least another book , can you guess who?
(view spoiler)

message 39: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments It's getting so good and complicated, I can't guess what's going to happen!79%

message 40: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I finished it Lauren .I couldn't stop after my last post.
I really want to know what you think when get to chapter 20 and all the things that comes after.

Lauren (laurenjberman) Chapter 20 comments:

Yes, you summed it up nicely :0)

Raphael is definitely up to no good. He says that whatever he is doing us for the greater good but I think he has his own agenda and wants Reaver to suffer. Hmmm... Just had a weird ideas... What if Raphael and Reaver are brothers? Sibling rivalry brings out the worst in people.

I'm also wondering if Reaver is an archangel as well considering his powers?

Lauren (laurenjberman) Re Revenant's and Blaspheme - the next book is theirs and comes out sometime this year :0)

message 43: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lauren wrote: "Re Revenant's and Blaspheme - the next book is theirs and comes out sometime this year :0)"

There is a preview at the end of the book

Lauren (laurenjberman) Chapter 25 comments

Ok that came a little out of nowhere

I really hope that Raphael gets what's coming to him

Lauren (laurenjberman) Finished!
You were right, ShoSho. The last few chapters were complicated but exciting and I couldn't stop until I got to the end.

message 46: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lauren wrote: "

I really hope that Raphael gets what's coming to him"

That's my only complaint about the book , I think he didn't!
I thought he would have a higher motive than only wanting Harvester. He was a grade A a*hole but his reasons for being so wasn't good. Do I make sense?

Lauren (laurenjberman) Absolutely! He got off far to easy. Some disemboweling was definitely called for

message 48: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Did you guess any of Metatron's revelations ?
I only could guess that there was a Radiant somewhere and my choices were H ,R and R.

What do you think happened to the R and R mother?

Lauren (laurenjberman) Yes, Raphael's motivation was really petty. I was expecting something more lofty that envy and spite from an angel.

However, one of the things I appreciate about this series is the non-linear take on morality. Things are not black and white - demons can do good and humans (and angels) can be evil.

message 50: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lauren wrote: "Absolutely! He got off far to easy. Some disemboweling was definitely called for"

LOL !totally agree

« previous 1