Books, Blogs, Authors and More discussion

Archive authors stuff > Mental Illness and writing

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (new)

Chad Rose (chadcrose) | 1 comments UNDERTOW, my newly completed memoir, is an honest, vulnerable, and, in the end, inspiring look at my struggle to live with Bipolar Disorder, a mental illness that led to an unruly drug addiction that nearly cost me my life and eventually led me into prison.

It was while incarcerated that I began writing Undertow, penning page after page on legal notebooks, working in an isolated cell that mirrored the prison Bipolar Disorder had forged in my mind. Facing the slow tick of time, I set out to share my story in the hope that it will shed new light on the human toll of mental illness while helping others who are suffering with similar issues seek professional help.

UNDERTOW also chronicles a childhood filled with abuse, both physical and emotional, and how these difficult early years led to my issues with addiction. However, the book has many light moments, following my travels across the country, where I met and befriended a host of wild characters and fell in and out of love with women with unique stories of their own.

UNDERTOW starts with my walking out of court and into prison, and ends with my release into the world, coming full circle with a newfound wisdom and insight into a mindset of proactive survival that’s now the antithesis of my escaping through drug overdoses and suicidal tendencies.
As such, it is as much a tale about survival as suffering.

Here is a link to an interview I did recently with KGBBAR.LIT (based in New York City), which provides more information on UNDERTOW and its writing.

http://kgbbar.com/lit/non_fiction/und...

Brief Bio

Chad Curtis Rose lives in Rochester, New York. His most recent poetry can be found in Foliate Oak Literary Magazine. Find him at https://www.facebook.com/chad.rose.3760

Thank You for taking the time to read my works...
Sincerely,
Chad C. Rose

message 2: by John (new)

John McCaffrey | 9 comments This is a great book! I highly recommend people check out Chad's blog to see samples. John McCaffrey, author, The Book of Ash.