The Book Thief The Book Thief discussion

Should I see the movie or not?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivia I really liked this book and have heard some negative things about the movie. So, I was wondering, is it worth it to go to the movie? Will it ruin the book for me?

Blue The movie was great!! it is really worth seeing!!
as far as ruing the book for you, I dont think so, not unless you mind knowing what is going to happen.
But either way you know what going to happen, it is just a matter of whether to watch it first or read it first.
I think you could do either first.

Selena I say that the movie was pretty awesome, made me cry a bit a the end, but it does leave some parts out of the book (like every book based movie) but otherwise pretty good :)

Olivia Thanks everyone! I think I'll probably see it. I thought the actors looked good and such, I'd just heard some pretty bad reviews (like about it being romanticized or "disneyfied" like Kim said) , but it looks like some people really did like it. I'll just have to see!

Selena Olivia wrote: "Thanks everyone! I think I'll probably see it. I thought the actors looked good and such, I'd just heard some pretty bad reviews (like about it being romanticized or "disneyfied" like Kim said) , b..."

Well, i just hope you really enjoy it :)

Lillian Did you end up seeing it? I actually just saw it a few weeks ago and really liked it.

Candice In my opinion the movie was horrible compared to the book.

Lillian Well, yes, of course no movie could ever compare to that amazing book. But I thought it was a fairly good adaptation.

Rashida I think the movie stood on its own two feet rather than begin shadowed by its book counterpart. It's worth a watch. I had read the book and had watched the movie after, and it didn't ruin my feelings for the book. In fact, it made me love the story even more. If you've already watched it, then I hope you enjoyed it cause in the end we all have different tastes... :)

message 10: by TheBohemianBookworm (last edited Dec 19, 2014 03:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TheBohemianBookworm Absolutely! The movie honors the book and is beautiful on its own. Please go see it you won't regret it!

message 11: by Anna (last edited Dec 20, 2014 02:27AM) (new) - added it

Anna I read the book first and loved it. The movie was nice, but they changed things and took things out, and that disappointed me. Like Kim's friend said, they took out some important (but darker) elements of the plot and it reflected badly on the film. On the plus side, the actors were wonderful, the music gorgeous, and the setting perfect. It was only the script and adaptation of the book that left something to be desired. :)

message 12: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric The movie follows the book pretty well so if you enjoyed the book then the movie will be pretty fantastic.

Shelby Candice wrote: "In my opinion the movie was horrible compared to the book."

I totally agree with you. I read the book and absolutely loved it! It's still my favourite. When I saw the movie, I bought it and was super excited to watch it. What I ended up being was extremely bored... that's just my opinion though.

Geertje The movie is quite likeable, however, to me it was a disappointment compared to the book. On the other hand, I am glad I watched the movie. It is very nice, just don't compare it to the book too much.

Jumana Hiasat I didn't like the movie and felt that it didn't do the book any justice. It lacked so many stuff and the girl just wasn't good enough for the part.

Natasha I think you should definitely see the movie,it' s perfect.

Sophie Kaelin The movie and book were both great (book slightly better). I would defiantly recommend watching the movie AFTER you have finished the book, the magic of the novel is ruined if you watch the movie first. x

message 18: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex of course!
The movie is great!

Adrianna [SypherLily] Absolutely see the movie! :)

Maricelis Love the book! The movie was good but the book was better. I still recommend the movie.

Laurie Hamame I think the movie was so far removed from the book that it should have had an entirely different title. You just have to read the book. The movie didn't do it justice! The book is just that good.

Mazzou B Selena wrote: "I say that the movie was pretty awesome, made me cry a bit a the end, but it does leave some parts out of the book (like every book based movie) but otherwise pretty good :)"

It was definitely not ''romanticized''. I absolutely loved it. It was BETTER than the book. It developed the characters better than the book did I think!

Mazzou B Maricelis wrote: "Love the book! The movie was good but the book was better. I still recommend the movie."

I want someone to write a book off of the movie; I think it would be much better than the original! LOVED the movie. I thought it did a better job with the characters than the book did.

Mazzou B Alex wrote: "of course!
The movie is great!"

Yes! LOVED the movie.

message 25: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Mazzou wrote: "Maricelis wrote: "Love the book! The movie was good but the book was better. I still recommend the movie."

I want someone to write a book off of the movie; I think it would be much better than the..."

How did the movie do a better job with the characters? I felt like the movie had left some of the character development out. Maybe I missed something in the movie?

Mazzou B Eliza wrote: "Mazzou wrote: "Maricelis wrote: "Love the book! The movie was good but the book was better. I still recommend the movie."

I want someone to write a book off of the movie; I think it would be much ..."

I appreciated how polite you were with your question/disagreement! Thanks. It's silly of me to feel like I have to state my opinion on everything. I just personally LOVED the movie and it really spoke to me. Although I absolutely love literature, sometimes the visuals help. I thought that Liesel was a lot sweeter in the movie than in the book. Max was great in the movie, while in the book he wasn't too ''brotherly'' with Liesel at first. I just thought the movie did a great job with the characters. Personal opinion. :)

message 27: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary D Shelby wrote: "Candice wrote: "In my opinion the movie was horrible compared to the book."

I totally agree with you. I read the book and absolutely loved it! It's still my favourite. When I saw the movie, I boug..."
I have to agree with you. I thought the book was so good. I took a friend to the movie and was all excited about it and I couldn't believe that I was bored by the movie. I can't even tell you why. The story was the same and the acting was good but there was something about that movie that just DRAGGGGGED on!

message 28: by Keranjit (last edited Jan 02, 2015 06:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keranjit Kaur The book is amazing and the movie is good but not as good as the book. As a reader I find that often is the case. However I enjoyed the film.

Gokul Das I loved the book. The film, well the concept of making a movie on this book in itself was flawed! The casting in the movie was good and each actor did justice to his role, but due to the brilliance of the book, couldn't match up when compared to the later. The biggest disappointment was the lack of 'death the narrator' in the movie, which was the highlight of the book. Without that dark sarcasm, the movie just fell apart and was boring. All in all.. watch it if nothing better to watch at all!!

Dolunay Kocabag The movie is pretty good but READ THE BOOK FIRST. You should imagine this book in your mind before you see the movie!!!

message 31: by Taya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Taya I do think that the movie was great although I did enjoy the book a little more. It just has a lot more emotion involved in the book.

HannaIsAwkward the movie is great but i think there were parts that should have been in it but wasn't. and they shouldn't had changed the stuff about the book she got from max. and it sould have been more about max. like his boxing in the basement which i think was a really big and powerful part in the book.
but the movie was still great, great actors and i think the director still did a great job.

but you should absolutely read the book first the book is better and if you see the movie first the book wont be as emotional. and belive me you don't want that to happen.

Karen Loved the movie, it was really touching but do read the book first! A lot of people in the cinema had no idea what was happening because they didn't read the book.

Diane Yes, definitely see the movie! I liked it, but had a hard time with the book.

Tesa Fiona Diane wrote: "Yes, definitely see the movie! I liked it, but had a hard time with the book."

totally agree, the movie is surprisingly (in some parts) is better than the book!

SHELLEY  HALE MYCAN I really enjoyed the book but found the movie slow and shallow. I usually read the book first before going to a movie and this time I'm really happy I did.

Chris Jane Olivia wrote: "I really liked this book and have heard some negative things about the movie. So, I was wondering, is it worth it to go to the movie? Will it ruin the book for me?"

I enjoyed the book a lot, too, but the movie felt "Disneyfied." It had potential to be so much more, because the book was so much more, but it was really pretty disappointing.

message 38: by Kush (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kush I think the best part of this book is It's narrated by "Death". If you are willing to see the movie you will miss the role of narrator which is quite awesome. I have seen the movie but it is not as good as compared to this book.

Vicky Movies are never as good as books. They ruin you the picture you had imagine

Barbara I thought that this book was exceptional. It had such an impact on me that even though I had many opportunities to watch the movie I just couldn't bring myself to do so. I felt that nothing could be better than the book.

message 41: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Snyder Lillian wrote: "Well, yes, of course no movie could ever compare to that amazing book. But I thought it was a fairly good adaptation."
Most movies do not measure up to a book. Your imagination and mind's eye is more creative than can be put on film.

Kesmat SHELLEY wrote: "I really enjoyed the book but found the movie slow and shallow. I usually read the book first before going to a movie and this time I'm really happy I did."

Totally agree!! Never expected to be bored by the movie.

Susan The movie is in no comparison to the book, which was excellent. However, the cinematography in the movie was beautiful. The scene on the bridge when the diary went flying into the cold deep blue water contrasting against the white snow - so picturesque. And the little voice the actress had and how she said "Rudy." Images that will not be forgotten soon, for sure. Especially cute Rudy with the blond hair and big eyes - full of life and compassion only to be silenced with a cloth draped over his lifeless body. This was a movie that for sure will leave an impression on you - probably quite different from the book.

Carina Watch the movie! This has long been one of my favorite books and fortunately the movie did not disappoint me.

message 45: by Shay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shay I loved the book. It made me cry and that is very rare for me. The movie was a very watered down version. I was so disappointed with it.

Kristine Kim wrote: "A friend of mine had the the most accurate description of the movie: she said that it was a "disneyfied" version of the book. A lot of the grit and soul were taken out for the sake of marketing the..."

Thanks for your honest review. I don't think I want to see it, as the depth/soul is what made this book what it was for me!

Megan Stone I was reading this book and got 2/3 of it done before I saw the movie. My advice, if you haven't finish reading the book, then don't see the movie. I was so unhappy with the huge plot spoiler at the end of the movie that I couldn't bare to read the last third of the book. However, if you have read the book, I do recommend seeing the movie because it's still pretty great.

Carina Megan wrote: " My advice, if you haven't finish reading the book, then don't see the movie."

I completely agree!! If you did not finish reading the book, DO NOT watch the movie. It will ruin everything!

Amelia I was soooooo worried the movie would ruin my favourite book ever for me but that's not the case. The movie is pretty good, it doesn't compare to the book but it doesn't spoil the world you've created in your head either.

Edita Busmiene Absolutely see the movie. I loved it, simply beautiful