Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors Review discussion

Group members > Who are you?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,157 (1157 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

message 1: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Ironside (julesanneironside) | 653 comments Mod
Tell us a bit about yourself; do you write? Are you published or self-published? Favorite genre? Favorite author? Recommendation on a great Indie read (that you haven't written yourself - I don't care how un-biased you are ;p )

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 114 comments I'm Dave, and I write.

I've self-published a couple of novels, love SF/Fantasy of all kinds. Will have to think on recommendations, and favorite authors change with regularity. Always have a soft spot for modern space opera, though.

message 3: by J.A. (new)

Hi Dave :) good to have you aboard. I think I have one of your novels downloaded - Price of Imperium? But I have yet to take a peek. I also love all sorts of Scifi, fantasy and speculative fiction. I have yet to self publish anything - though I am considering it with one series of books I'm writing. Otherwise I've had a few short stories and podcasts published/ broadcast. I also have a soft spot for modern space opera. My favorite authors also change often but one book that stays at the top of my list is Dune by Frank Herbert.

message 4: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 114 comments That one's mine.

I like Dune, though I think my favorite Frank Herbert is Under Pressure.

I also like heroic fantasy/sword and sorcery, such as Howard and Lieber.

I do read a fair number of self-published books, but most of what I read is good but not great. For what it's worth, I find it's easier to find readable space opera among self-published books than fantasy. I find there's a lot of really bad fantasy out there, though it may just be a numbers game.

message 5: by J.A. (new)

Yeah, I tend to agree with you there. Not so much bad fantasy as a sort of 'fantasy bingo' where indie writers are hitting all the threadbare tropes rather than breaking new ground. There's some pretty good indie dystopian sci-fi out there though.
I like Johnny B Truant and Sean Platt's The Beam series - futuristic sci-fi set in a world where everyone is divided into two 'classes', which they're then stuck with until census time every seven years or so. This is all micro managed by a super computer (the beam). You can either be part of the corporation and have some protection in exchange for loss of some liberties, or sink or swim on your own. It's good stuff.
A bit lighter and silly but witty is the 'Unicorn Western' series by the same authors. Does what it says on the tin :)

message 6: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 114 comments I don't mind the threadbare tropes, I have simple tastes, but I find the execution on so many of them is bad.

message 7: by J.A. (new)

Agreed, a worn topic needs to be treated in a fresh way. I think sometimes fantasy attracts a certain amount of laziness or self indulgence but then get a really good fantasy writer and you have some of my favorite books.

message 8: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 114 comments Mine too, the trick is finding that writer.

message 9: by J.A. (new)

We have three more members who have yet to introduce themselves. Come on guys, Dave and I are carrying this conversation on our own! Plus we want to know what you write ;)

message 10: by Doctor (new)

Doctor Kaufman (kaufmantales) | 15 comments Hi all - nice group and thanks for the welcome. I am a storyteller myself... an accomplished composer who uses music and voice as a leading edge to my work... my work is therefore a multimedia piece... epic fantasy... called 'Tales Of The Ocean City'... recently slaved learning to make kindle books out of my epub3 version for ipad... the ipad is a wonderful medium... you can attach soundtracks to the episodes! Fun... now have the POD from createspace... okay -- As for my reading... I still love the 'basics'... especially the Lloyd Alexander, whose story as an author is an inspiration... love EREddison, though haven't read him for awhile and Dunsany, Vance!, Have enjoyed Brin, Benford and LeGuin... Tolkien will probably always be my favorite... and Lewis... Lieber... Burroughs... on we go.

message 11: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 114 comments Hi Chris,

Interesting to hear about what you're doing, particularly the multi-media aspects. I'm curious to how that works, as I know that for me personally, something like a soundtrack would be an immediate turnoff.

As for Eddison, I'd have to call him an acquired taste. I don't think his style has aged well my modern standards, but that's not to take anything away from what he did in the past.

message 12: by Doctor (new)

Doctor Kaufman (kaufmantales) | 15 comments Hi Dave, thanks for writing and asking... my work is like a glorious audio book... with sweeping world class music...actually the music is part of the syntax of the storytelling. I think of the text as accompanying the sound... However, in the process of diversifying I have developed the 'as recorded text', to use the term of film and tv... into books (Kindle and physical) where the sound is separate... and which read quite beautifully! ... Yes, Eddison is pretty thick going as I recall... but amazing imagination and big fun! Cheers!

message 13: by Doctor (new)

Doctor Kaufman (kaufmantales) | 15 comments Dave - just bought your book! Will check it out this Friday as I have a long subway ride to the Dr.'s office. Best.

message 14: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 114 comments Thanks Chris!

message 15: by J.A. (new)

That sounds fascinating, Chris. Have you actually published any? I'm trying to imagine how it fits together. I can see it really working - assuming the music and words weave together well. I'd be interested to see some :) When I write, some pieces of music make me think strongly of certain scenes or characters. Sounds like you've gone epically beyond that.

Excuse my ignorance but Eddison? I think I missed that one. Any recommendations? I agree some sci-fi/ spec/ horroe etc doesn't age well but I still have a soft spot for Dennis Wheatley...

Anyway welcome to the group.

message 16: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 114 comments Eric Rucker Eddison, E.R., probably best known for The Worm Ouroboros, a very early fantasist, after Dunsany, (I think) but before almost everyone else.

message 17: by Doctor (new)

Doctor Kaufman (kaufmantales) | 15 comments Yes 'The Worm Ourboros... one of the wildest things I've ever read... big fun... and, as Dave said, the language is rather... 'dense' - in a good way...

And yes, Jules Anne - thanks for asking... the first two Books my 'Tales Of The Ocean City' (about an hour each of music and sound... plus the text and art...) - are published on itunes and amazon... the version for ipad has it 'all in one' the Kindle books link people to the accompanying Audio Album... then I have the physical book with CD in a sleeve in the back!...

message 18: by J.A. (new)

I'll have to check that out :) and your music and word master piece too.

Just Jules, please. Anne is my middle name. It's all an unfortunate mixture with my surname being Ironside lol.

message 19: by Doctor (new)

Doctor Kaufman (kaufmantales) | 15 comments Okay Jules... thanks and thanks for the welcome to your group... and for starting/moderating... I look forward to many conversations!...

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael | 22 comments Hi everyone! I'm a horror writer-originally from the frozen tundra of Wisconsin, and now living in northern California. I just learned that my debut novel, "Blood Vengeance", has been accepted for publication!

message 21: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 114 comments Welcome and congrats, Michael

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael | 22 comments Dave wrote: "Welcome and congrats, Michael"

Thank you, Dave!

message 23: by J.A. (new)

Hi Michael and welcome to the group. Congratulations on your novel. What is it about? ( without any spoilers, obviously) :)

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael | 22 comments It's about a young man who moves to San Francisco and is drawn into a world of mystery and horror when he discovers the apartment downstairs is haunted by the ghosts of a serial killer and his victims.

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael | 22 comments Oh, and I'd love for any and all of you to like my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/michaelcschu...

Thanks! :)

message 26: by Doctor (new)

Doctor Kaufman (kaufmantales) | 15 comments Welcome Michael!

message 27: by Doctor (new)

Doctor Kaufman (kaufmantales) | 15 comments FB page visited and liked... good luck!

message 28: by A.K. (new)

A.K. Michaels (akmicaels) | 128 comments Hi, I'm new to the site and this group, got some books indie published and just finding my feet. First book written was Defender's Blood Alex's Destiny and it will always have a soft spot in my heart. I have FB so if anyone wants to come over and join me please do, all new friends welcome. Hope you all have a great day.
Ava
https://www.facebook.com/pages/AKMich...

message 29: by Doctor (new)

Doctor Kaufman (kaufmantales) | 15 comments Hi Ava - FB Page friended... here's mine if you wish...https://www.facebook.com/talesoftheoc...

message 30: by A.K. (new)

A.K. Michaels (akmicaels) | 128 comments Thanks Chris, also done, your page looks interesting

message 31: by Doctor (new)

Doctor Kaufman (kaufmantales) | 15 comments Thanks... best luck!

message 32: by J.A. (new)

Hi Ava, welcome to the group. Have had a look at some of your books and they look right up my street. I look forward to picking your brain (in a none zombie type fashion) in the near future. Great to have you aboard :)

message 33: by A.K. (new)

A.K. Michaels (akmicaels) | 128 comments Thank u so much Jules Anne and for friending me - u r my first lol!

message 34: by J.A. (new)

Ava, Michael and Chris - I have liked all your pages on FB. Looking good and best of luck to you all. I don't have an author page (yet) but if anyone wants to chat on twitter sometime I'm at @J_AnneIronside :)

message 35: by J.A. (new)

Hopefully the first of many, Ava ;)

message 36: by A.K. (new)

A.K. Michaels (akmicaels) | 128 comments Thanks, found u on twitter and followed.

message 37: by Michael (new)

Michael | 22 comments Thank you Jules! I'm now following you on Twitter. Ava, I liked your page, but Chris, I couldn't make your link work. :(

message 38: by A.K. (new)

A.K. Michaels (akmicaels) | 128 comments Thanks Michael done the same with yours.

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael | 22 comments A.K. wrote: "Thanks Michael done the same with yours."

Thank you!

message 40: by Shell (new)

Shell Bromley | 54 comments Hi, people. Sounds like some interesting stuff is going on, then. Just introducing myself.

message 41: by A.K. (new)

A.K. Michaels (akmicaels) | 128 comments Hi Michelle

message 42: by Shell (new)

Shell Bromley | 54 comments Hellokie dokie, Ava.

message 43: by J.A. (new)

Shell, that was the most cryptic introduction ever ;)

message 44: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 114 comments Hi Michelle, and Ava as I didn't say hi earlier.

message 45: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 114 comments Also, Jules, I followed you on Twitter, I'm @dcrwrites :)

message 46: by Bob (new)

Bob D'Eith (bobdeith) | 4 comments Hi everyone. New to Goodreads. Just published my second book "The Displaced". A politically charged sci-fi novel set 50 years in the future. I am on a steep learning curve right now and would appreciate all the tips that I can get.

The first book was a music business help book called "A Career in the Music: the other 12 step program". I have worked in the music biz for 24 years (yikes) and am just starting to get into the writing world. Kind of like entering a parallel universe – the same challenges in many ways, but all the people are different (spooky)…

My favorite classic sci-fi writers are Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert and Arthur C. Clarke. I actually am LOVING the way to discover new writers, like I did with the Wool/Silo series on Kindle. Very cool.

www.adagiomusic.ca

http://www.amazon.com/The-Displaced-c...

http://www.amazon.com/Career-Music-ot...

message 47: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 114 comments Hi Bob, and good luck with your books.

message 48: by A.K. (new)

A.K. Michaels (akmicaels) | 128 comments Hi Bob welcome, all the best with ur new book

message 49: by Shell (new)

Shell Bromley | 54 comments I fail to see anything cryptic in what I said, Jules...

Hi, Bob.

I enjoyed Asimov and Clarke, but Wyndham gets my vote.

message 50: by Shell (new)

Shell Bromley | 54 comments Hi, Britta. You found it!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24