2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2014 > Sharon's 2014 corner

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (last edited Dec 18, 2014 11:25AM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments READ THE MONTH AROUND THE WORLD
Duration: January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014

This is a modified spell out challenge where each month of the year is spelled out in a different language!

For each letter, read a book where that letter is contained somewhere in the title or the author's name. It does NOT need to be the first letter of the word. The book used must be read in the month it represents. I'll move each month over her at the end of the month

January: Kapampangan (a language of the Philippines)5/5
**this also happens to be the spanish word for January, I'll be in Mexico for 2 weeks, maybe I'll have to read un libro en espanol ... books on my kindle which I'm taking no book in Spanish :( but I did complete the goal for the month
E ✔
Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis
N ✔
No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells (Mystic Cafe, #1) by Rose Pressey
E ✔
Elusive (On The Run, #1) by Sara Rosett
R ✔
Revenant by Janet Elizabeth Jones
O ✔
One, Two ... He Is Coming For You (Rebekka Franck #1) by Willow Rose

February: Arabic (Algeria & Tunisia)5/5
F ✔
Flame Moon (Flame Moon, #1) by K.J. Jackson
I ✔
Inner Moonlight by Carrigan Fox
F ✔
Fall From Grace (Mad World, #1) by Christine Zolendz
R ✔ Kathy Reichs
Break No Bones (Temperance Brennan, #9) by Kathy Reichs
I ✔
A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn
March: Malay (a language of places like Indonesia etc)3/3
M ✔
The Mystery Woman (Ladies of Lantern Street, #2) by Amanda Quick
A ✔
Apollyon (Covenant, #4) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
C ✔
Concealed in Death (In Death, #38) by J.D. Robb
March: Malay (a language of places like Indonesia etc)3/3
April: Papiamento (a language of the Caribbean ABC Islands => Aruba, Bonaire & Curacao)5/5
A
Blackberry Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #17) by Joanne Fluke
P
In for a Penny by Maggie Toussaint
R
Runaway (Airhead, #3) by Meg Cabot
E
Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8) by Janet Evanovich
L
The Last Kiss Goodbye (Dr. Charlotte Stone, #2) by Karen Robards
May: Romanian (Romania)3/3
M
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner
A
The Arrangement (The Survivors' Club #2) by Mary Balogh
I
The Happiness Project Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin

June: Greenlandic (Greenland)4/4
J J D Robb
Taken in Death (in Death, #37.5) by J.D. Robb
U
Sudden Death (FBI Trilogy, #1) by Allison Brennan
N Allison Brennan
Fatal Secrets A Novel of Suspense by Allison Brennan
I
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
July

J
The Journal (Jack O'Neill Mystery, #2) by Derick Parsons
U
Weddings Can Be Murder by Christie Craig
L
The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2) by Kady Cross
A
The Star Attraction by Alison Sweeney
I
Innocent in Las Vegas (Tiffany Black Mytseries #1) by A.R. Winters

August: Japanese (Japan)6/6
H Huntley Fitzpatrick
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
A
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
D
Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1) by Juliet Marillier
U
Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6) by Rachel Caine
K
Killer Cupcakes (A Lexy Baker Bakery Mystery, #1) by Leighann Dobbs
I
Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum #15) by Janet Evanovich

September: Basque (Basque Country, Spain)5/5
INeil Gaiman
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
R
The Other Sister (Sister, #1) by Leanne Davis
AJanet Evanovich
Smokin' Seventeen (Stephanie Plum, #17) by Janet Evanovich
IKathy Reichs
Bones to Ashes (Temperance Brennan, #10) by Kathy Reichs
L
The Girl with the Windup Heart (Steampunk Chronicles, #4) by Kady Cross
October: Ewe (is a Niger–Congo language spoken in southeastern Ghana and southern Togo)4/4
K
Cankered Roots by G.G. Vandagriff
E
Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer
L
Her Last Whisper (Dr. Charlotte Stone, #3) by Karen Robards
E
Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
November: Venda (South Africa) (is a Bantu language predominately spoken in the Limpopo Province, Botswana)4/4
L
The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die by April Henry
A
Heroes Are My Weakness by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
R
After Dark (Harmony #1) by Jayne Castle
A
Looking for Alaska by John Green
December: Niuean (Niue Island, Tokelau)6/6
T
Top Secret Twenty-One (Stephanie Plum #21) by Janet Evanovich
E
Hello, Gorgeous! (Gorgeous #1) by MaryJanice Davidson
S
Kiss Me While I Sleep (CIA Spies, #3) by Linda Howard
E
Vampires Rule (The Rule #1) by K.C. Blake
M MaryJanice Davidson
Kiss Me While I Sleep (CIA Spies, #3) by Linda Howard
O
Forever Christmas by Christine Lynxwiler

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments JANUARY: NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS CHALLENGE
Duration: January 1 - 31, 2014

It's time for New Year's Resolutions, and this challenge explores some of the most popular ones.

1. Save more money. Instead of buying a book, read a book you borrowed (from a friend or the library) or was given to you as a gift.
The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4) by Richelle Mead
3. Exercise more. Read a book whose cover shows people being active in some way OR read a book in which one of the main characters is an athlete. This was a free book on kindle and I thought, great someone who is an athlete, it did have a little, no a lot of, TMI in the romance scenes for my taste
Fair Play (Hat Trick, #1) by Samantha Wayland
5. Watch less TV. Instead of watching TV or going to the movies, read a book that got turned into a movie or TV show.does it count if they are going to be made into a movie?
Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth
7. Go on a trip. Read a book that takes place in a country you've never been to. (This can be a made up country.) Denmark
One, Two ... He Is Coming for You by Willow Rose

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments January's Let it Snow! Mini Challenge
January 1 - 31, 2014

For those of us living in cold, northern climates during this time of year, it can be very snowy indeed. Let's do a snow-inspired challenge!

1. Let it Snow! is a song written in 1945. Read a book written in the 1940s. have checked out from library ... just need to read in the last couple days FAILED!
1984 by George Orwell
3. All snowflakes have six sides. Read a book with the number 6 in its page number. (For example, The Golem and the Jinni has 486 pages.) 462 pages
Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4) by Dan Brown
4. Is winter over yet? Read a long book (a book with 500 or more pages). 526 disappointing pages

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments DAPHNE'S CHALLENGE: EXPLORATIONS IN LOVE
Duration: February 1 - 28, 2014
start with 4 and go from there - got 6
Love comes in all flavors right?

1. Philia. Translated from the ancient Greek as brotherly love. Read a book that features some sort of ‘bromance’ or two strong male characters.
Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3) by Jennifer Rardin
2. Love triangle. There are some pretty famous ones. In honor of Aphrodite, Hephaistos, and Ares, read a mythic fantasy novel.
Flame Moon (Flame Moon, #1) by K.J. Jackson
4. Autassassinophilia. Another way to say you love death, destruction, or mayhem. Read a mystery, horror, or thriller.
Split Second (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #1) by David Baldacci
5. Chronophilia. When you only date people of a certain age group, derived from the God Chronos (father time). Read a book where the main characters are vastly different age ranges he's an old vampire, she is his assistant
Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2) by Jennifer Rardin
6. Biophilia. A love of nature. Coined by the great E. O. Wilson. Read a book whose setting takes place in nature or wild and untamed lands Texas in the 1800's was pretty wild!
The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1) by Jodi Thomas
8. Mechanophilia. Who doesn't love cool machines? read a book that machines (like a spaceship) play a big role.
Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments CANDY HEARTS MINI CHALLENGE
Duration: February 1 - 28, 2014

1. Love me. This one's easy! Read a romance novel.
2. Puppy love. Read a book that features animals.
Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7) by Janet Evanovich
3. Love bug. The word "bug" means a few different things. Read a book with a title that contains a word with multiple meanings.
an act of biting into something in order to eat it, a sharp or pungent flavor - or used as slang "This really bites!"
Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2) by Jennifer Rardin

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments FIRST QUARTER CHALLENGE: THE CHINESE ZODIAC (Shēngxiào)
Duration: January 1 - March 31, 2014
trying for 6 - 11/6 - couldn't get that non-fiction book
Thank you to Danielle for the inspiration for this challenge!

1. The Horse. On January 31, 2014, it becomes the Year of the Horse! Horses like being the center of attention. Read a book where the main character is famous OR read a memoir about or a biography of a celebrity.
Manning A Father, His Sons and a Football Legacy by Archie Manning
2. The Goat. Home is where Goats feel the most comfortable. Read a book that takes place in the country you were born in.
3rd Degree (Women's Murder Club, #3) by James Patterson
3. The Monkey. Monkeys are the masters of practical jokes. Read a humorous book.some of the situations she gets into ...:)
Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7) by Janet Evanovich
4. The Rooster. Roosters tend to "tell it like it is." Read a non-fiction book.

5. The Dog. While loyal and faithful, Dogs have trouble finding mates. Read a book that contains a troubled romance.
Saphyre Snow by Marcia Lynn McClure
6. The Pig. Pigs love to have fun but tend to prefer spending to saving. Read a book you have purchased (rather than borrowed).
Dark Witch (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts
7. The Rat. Constantly seeking knowledge, Rats are curious and clever. Read a book that teaches you something. taught me way more than I ever wanted to know about torts, mass litigation ...
The King of Torts by John Grisham
8. The Ox. Oxen aren't very sociable and prefer life-long friendships to casual acquaintances. Read a book in which the main character could be described as an introvert. one reviewer summed him up good "a man who very seldom talks, speaks volumes with this actions"
9. The Tiger. Tigers love to be challenged. Read a book you find challenging in some way maybe because of its length, style, or subject matter.
10. The Rabbit. Rabbits tend to enjoy meeting people from different places and learning about different cultures. Read a book about a culture not your own.
11. The Dragon. The Dragon is often considered to be the strongest sign, and the only one that is a mythical animal. Read a book that contains a mythical or paranormal creature.
The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4) by Richelle Mead
12. The Snake. Snakes work hard but tend to be easily bored. To prevent boredom, read a short book (i.e., one with fewer than 100 pages).
Elixir (Covenant, #3.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments FIRST QUARTER CHALLENGE: LILAC'S RAINBOW CHALLENGE
Duration: January 1 - March 31, 2014

Thank you to Lilac for this lovely idea! Make a rainbow out of the book covers. You can use as few as four books (red, yellow, green, blue) or as many as you like as long as the final result is a rainbow of books.
Red - Orange - Yellow - Green - Blue - Indigo -Violet -

Red Velvet Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #16) by Joanne Fluke Casanova Killer An SSCD Crime Thriller by Tallulah Grace Blood Brothers (Sign of Seven, #1) by Nora Roberts Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth Flame Moon (Flame Moon, #1) by K.J. Jackson A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn Thunder Snow (Thunder on the Mountain, #1) by Mimi Foster Cross Bones (Temperance Brennan, #8) by Kathy Reichs The King of Torts by John Grisham Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments THE MNEMONIC CHALLENGE - try for 4
Duration: March 1 - 31, 2014
4/4
"Spring forward, fall back" is a mnemonic device to help you remember which way to change your clocks during daylight savings time. A mnemonic is a memory aid. Let's explore other mnemonics in this challenge.

3. Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November. Read a book that has a page number count that includes the digits 3 and 0 (in any order). 309
Jessica Rules the Dark Side (Jessica, #2) by Beth Fantaskey
5. Mrs. Baker is used to remember the eight common law felonies (murder, rape, sodomy, burglary, arson, kidnapping, escape, robbery). Read a book in a which one of these felonies takes place.
Red Velvet Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #16) by Joanne Fluke
6. Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally (PEMDAS) is to remember the order of operations in math (parenthesis, exponents, multiplication & division, addition & subtraction). Read a book that has a Goodreads description that includes parentheses.
Apollyon (Covenant, #4) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
7. Every good boy does fine is the mnemonic for the notes on the five lines of the treble clef. Read a book that involves music in some way.
Guitar Notes by Mary Amato

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME MINI CHALLENGE
Duration: March 1 - 31, 2014

In many parts of the northern hemisphere, Daylight Savings Time begins in March. Below is a map showing the usage of Daylight Savings Time around the world. Blue is for areas currently using it, and red and orange areas do not.

1. Read a book set in a place that currently uses daylight savings time.
Red Velvet Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #16) by Joanne Fluke
2. Read a book set in a place that does not currently use daylight savings time.

3. Daylight savings time was first implemented in 1916. Read a book that takes place before 1916.
The Mystery Woman (Ladies of Lantern Street, #2) by Amanda Quick
4. Daylight savings time was first proposed by a man named George Veronon Hudson. Read a book by an author who shares an initial with George Vernon Hudson.
Haven (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #13) by Kay Hooper

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments THE SHOWER DISAMBIGUATION CHALLENGE
Duration: April 1 - 30, 2014
starting with 4, managed 1 more - 5/4
Wikipedia has lots of entries for the word "shower." Let's explore them!

3. A juggling pattern. The more objects in the shower, the more difficult. The same can be said for page numbers. Read a book with more than 350 pages.
4th of July (Women's Murder Club, #4) by James Patterson
4. The 1999 short film. This film is only 10 minutes long. Read a short book (fewer than 150 pages).
River's Edge by Gem Sivad
6. The episode of The O.C. The O.C. was an American teen drama that took place in Orange County, CA. Read something you would consider to be a teen drama.
7. Baby shower. Read a book in which a character has a baby
To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9) by Janet Evanovich
8. Bridal shower. Read a book you received as a gift OR read a book in which someone gets married.
The Supermodel's Best Friend (A Romantic Comedy) by Gretchen Galway

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments LITTLE APRIL SHOWER MINI CHALLENGE
Duration: April 1 - 30, 2014

Little April Shower is a song from the Disney movie, Bambi. You can watch it here. Let's take a look at other Disney movies that contain rain.

1. Beauty and the Beast. Read a book that has "Romance" listed as a genre OR a book where the main character misjudges someone. it's a romance and Stephanie misjudges someone!
To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9) by Janet Evanovich
2. The Rescuers. Read a book that has "Adventure" listed as a genre OR a book in which someone needs rescuing.
3. The Little Mermaid. Read a book that contains mythical creatures.
Visions of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum, #8.5) by Janet Evanovich

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments 5/5
THE MAY HOLIDAY COVER HUNT (with alternatives)
Duration: May 1 - 31, 2014

Let's take a look at various holidays around the world. Cover hunts can be hard, and because this one is running for just a single month, we've provided a non-cover alternative for you for each task.

1. May Day is lei day in Hawaii. Read a book with a flower on its cover
Best Staged Plans by Claire Cook
2. World Press Freedom Day. Read a book with a form of media on its cover (such as a book, a newspaper, or a CD) and in which a character is a reporter.
The Friday Edition (Samantha Church #1) by Betta Ferrendelli
4. Children’s Day. こどもの日. Read a young adult book.
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner
5. Cinco de Mayo. Read a book with the number 5 somewhere on its cover (even if it’s in the title!) The 5th Horseman (Women's Murder Club, #5) by James Patterson
6. National Train Day. Read a book with a mode of transportation on its cover OR read a book in which a character takes a train ride.
A Train Through Time (Train Through Time, #1) by Bess McBride

-----

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments THE VERY MINI BIRTHDAY CHALLENGE
Duration: May 1 - 31, 2014

1. Read a book that was published year you were born.
one of my favorite series ... the first book was published the year I was born. Think I'll have to reread it.
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) by Lilian Jackson Braun
2. Read a book from an author who shares a birthday or birth year with you.
will have to choose a book written by
Jodi Picoult
Where There's Smoke by Jodi Picoult

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments SECOND QUARTER CHALLENGE: #READWOMEN2014
Duration: April 1 - June 30, 2014
goal is 6 - 8/6
For this challenge, decide how many new-to-you female authors you would like to read. Once your goal is set, read! And come back and tell us who your favorites were to get great female authors more exposure. Each author can only count once.

Kate Atkinson
Gretchen Rubin
The Happiness Project Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin
Claire Cook
Best Staged Plans by Claire Cook
Betta Ferrendelli
The Friday Edition (Samantha Church #1) by Betta Ferrendelli
Maggie Toussaint
In for a Penny by Maggie Toussaint
Gem Sivad
River's Edge by Gem Sivad
Gretchen Galway
The Supermodel's Best Friend (A Romantic Comedy) by Gretchen Galway
Lila Ashe
Fire at Twilight (The Firefighters of Darling Bay, #1) by Lila Ashe

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments SECOND QUARTER CHALLENGE: FINISH THOSE SERIES!
Duration: April 1 - June 30, 2014

This challenge focuses on finishing series you've started. They can be series you started as a child and want to know what happened to your favorite childhood characters (for example, Lowry's The Giver or L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time), they can be series you would like to start and finish within the span of the quarter, or they can just be any series you started but never finished.

Goal to finish 4? 2/4 - only able to finish 2
Finishing Hannah Swensen Joanne Fluke
Completed 17/17 (17 just came out!)
Blackberry Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #17) by Joanne Fluke

Reading lots of different series but too many books left to finish :( in 3 months (Morganville Vampires, Sookie Stackhouse, Stephanie Plum)

Going to read and finish The Maze Runner Series - unless I hate it!
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James Dashner
I'll eventually finish this series, it is just very popular summer reading - hard to get the books from the library since he is a local author

Finish the Inkworld Trilogy currently reading - will finish just waiting to get it back from the library again - another popular summer reading book
Inkdeath (Inkworld, #3) by Cornelia Funke

Maybe finish the House of Night Series (I got tired of it)
Revealed (House of Night, #11) by P.C. Cast
finished until October when this one comes out - maybe I'll read it if it really is the last one!
Redeemed (House of Night, #12) by P.C. Cast

message 16: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments THE JUNE SCHOOL YEAR CHALLENGE
Duration: June 1 - 30, 2014
TRY FOR 4 or 5
2. Good teacher: “Good” is entirely subjective so think about your favorite teacher, trainer, or educator who really made an impact on your life.
Read a book that explores the subject that person taught - Favorite teacher - Coach Henshaw, he taught history
6. Juniors: Juniors are looking forward to their last year, sending applications (college, job or other) and hoping that they know themselves well enough to make the right choice.
Read a book where a character struggles with his/her identity or is trying to figure out who they are
Bite Marks (Jaz Parks, #6) by Jennifer Rardin
7. Sophomores: Sophomore comes from two Greek words meaning “wise” and “foolish.”
Read a book on a subject or a character who is wise, foolish or both
Revealed (House of Night, #11) by P.C. Cast
10. Varsity: This is the paramount achievement for any athlete; yet even after reaching the Varsity team, athletes must work to maintain to their status.
Read a book involving a power struggle
Sentinel (Covenant, #5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
11. Junior Varsity: For athletes in the making, getting a spot on the JV team gives them the opportunity to learn new skills in order to reach Varsity.
Read a book by an author that is new to you
A Lasting Impression (Belmont Mansion, #1) by Tamera Alexander

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments JULY: THE HOARDERS CHALLENGE
Duration: July 1 - July 30, 2014 extended into August

As we move into the second half of the year, it's time to clear those shelves!

1. Read the book that has been on your Goodreads TBR list longest.

2. Read a book from your physical book shelf or any other stash of books.

3. Read a book you got as a gift or for free.
4. Read a book recommended by or borrowed from a friend. read in August
5. Read a group read that you missed. You can see them all here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

6. Read the next book in a series that you've neglected.read in August

7. Read the book that you've most recently added to your TBR list. read in August
8. Read a book you started and never finished.

9. Read a book you bought with great intentions to read and just haven't got to it yet.
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight, #3.5) by Stephenie Meyer
10. Read a book that you should have read in high school or college but you faked through instead.

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments OCTOBER: SCREAM!
Duration: October 1 - 31, 2014
3/3
Our group theme for October is scream!, so let's explore different places we find the word.

1. Scream! was Michael and Janet Jackson's song. Read a book that takes place in a spaceship
Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer

2. I scream for ice cream! Read a book that at least partially takes place in ice cream parlour OR read a book that has ice cream on its cover.
I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1) by Wendy Lyn Watson
3. Scream is a series of American slasher films and consists, to date, of four motion pictures. Read a book about a serial killer OR read a book from series that has at least four books.
Her Last Whisper (Dr. Charlotte Stone, #3) by Karen Robards

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments THE STRING THEORY CHALLENGE
Duration: January 1 - December 31, 2014
try for 6 - 6/6 all done!
At some point in our lives, most of us have read something in a book we wanted to know more about—be it a time in history, a location, or even a hobby one of the characters has. The point of this challenge is to broaden your horizons, to learn more about the things that interest you.

Pick a book, any book, and note the things you find interesting in the story. After that first book is read, you'll select another book that links with something from the first book.

Example: Let's say you started reading The Hunger Games. The Hunger Games is a dystopian book, the main character has a great bond with her sister, children fight each other to the death, and Katniss enjoys hunting and archery. So let's say you are really interested in books about archery. Then you can decide to read something like The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood. Maybe you think "What a great classic book! I want to read more." You continue on this same route until you've reached your goal.

First book was about aliens here on earth
Origin (Lux, #4) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
this lead to the second book about earthlings in space traveling to a new planet - while traveling they are experimenting with DNA - genetics
now where will the third book take me? ...how about the third book where the main character is actually a genecist
The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion
Fourth book I may look for a book with a matchmaker? As Don - the main character in the previous book likened his project that of what a matchmaker would do.
Make Me a Match by Diana Holquist
Now where? Their sister is missing ... read a book where someone is trying to find their family?
Cankered Roots by G.G. Vandagriff
Okay for the final book I think I will read a book about a stolen identity since someones identity was stolen in the last book ...

message 20: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments JULY: THE HOARDERS CHALLENGE
Duration: July 1 - July 30, 2014 extended into August

As we move into the second half of the year, it's time to clear those shelves!

1. Read the book that has been on your Goodreads TBR list longest.

2. Read a book from your physical book shelf or any other stash of books.

3. Read a book you got as a gift or for free.
4. Read a book recommended by or borrowed from a friend. read in August
5. Read a group read that you missed. You can see them all here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

6. Read the next book in a series that you've neglected.read in August

7. Read the book that you've most recently added to your TBR list. read in August
8. Read a book you started and never finished.

9. Read a book you bought with great intentions to read and just haven't got to it yet.
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight, #3.5) by Stephenie Meyer
10. Read a book that you should have read in high school or college but you faked through instead.

message 21: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments THIRD QUARTER CHALLENGE: ALWAYS A NOMINEE, NEVER A WINNER
Duration: July 1 - September 30, 2014

There are tons of wonderful books out there that have never won any awards, no matter how many awards they've been nominated for.

For this challenge, choose a literary award (or two or three) that appeals to you. For a list of literary awards, click here: https://www.goodreads.com/award

Your goal is to read as many books as you can that have been nominated for but never won that specific award. Set your goal, and do your best to reach it by the end of the quarter!
try for six goodread award nominees 2/6

Maybe these ones ...
Perfect Scoundrels (Heist Society, #3) by Ally Carter
My Life Next Door (My Life Next Door, #1) by Huntley Fitzpatrick
City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5) by Cassandra Clare
The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass
A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

message 22: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments THIRD QUARTER CHALLENGE: HUNGER GAMES
Duration: July 1 - September 30, 2014
try for 9 - only 7:(
May the odds be ever in your favor.

The Capitol: The capitol is filled with beautiful extravagant people. Read a book with “beauty” in the title OR read a book where the main character is said to be extraordinarily beautiful.

District 1: District 1 produces luxury items. Read a book where a piece of jewelry plays an important role.
The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2) by Kady Cross
District 2: District 2 produces weapons and trains peacekeepers. Read a book about with a cop as one of the characters.
The Journal (Jack O'Neill Mystery, #2) by Derick Parsons
District 3: District 3 makes electronics. Read a book about a technologically advanced society OR read a book with a computer (or robot) as a main character.
The Girl with the Iron Touch (The Steampunk Chronicles, #3) by Kady Cross
District 5: District 5 is the source of electrical power. Reada book that is set in a place without electricity.
District 6: District 6 is the hub of transportation. Read a book written by an author from a different country OR read a book that takes place in a real location you could visit.

District 7: District 7 produces lumber and paper. Read a book that takes place in a forest OR read a physical book made out of paper (as opposed to an ebook).
District 11: District 11 is an agricultural district and Rue, a young herbalist, originated here. Read a book where a young person dies
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
District 12: District 12 is the mining district, and Katniss and Peeta, its tributes, wear clothes that catch fire. Read a book that has the word “coal” somewhere in it (add a quote of the sentence where you found the word)he is investigating the Belinda Coal Company
Fatal by Michael Palmer
District 13: District 13 is a rebellious district that specialized in nuclear technology. Read a book centered around a nuclear disaster OR read a book where the main character is rebellious.

message 23: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments CELEBRATIONS AROUND THE WORLD
Duration: November 1 - 30, 2014

Let's take a look at major celebrations found around the world. The inspiration and pictures for this challenge were taken from this article.

2. Oktoberfest - Munich, Germany
Oktoberfestbiers are the beers that have been served at the festival since 1818. Read a book in which the characters drink alcohol.
Looking for Alaska by John Green
4. Saint Patrick's Day - Ireland
Some cities dye rivers green to celebrate. Read a book that takes place in Ireland OR read a book with a green cover.
Defy (Defy, #1) by Sara B. Larson
6. The Carnival of Venice - Italy
The Carnival ends just before Lent (Ash Wednesday), and attendees wear masks. Read a book that takes place in Italy OR read a book in which a character tries to keep his or her identity a secret at some point.
Insight (Insight, #1) (Web of Hearts and Souls #1) by Jamie Magee
7. Halloween - USA
Halloween is celebrated by kids (and adults) dressing up in costumes and trick-or-treating. Read a book in which a character wears a costume or pretends to be someone else. main character is a ventriloquist - works with puppets
Heroes Are My Weakness by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
8. La Tomatina - Buñol, Spain
Tomatoes are thrown for fun, and the entire city becomes covered in tomato paste. Read a book that takes place in Spain OR read a book with a red cover.
Bombshell (FBI Thriller #17) by Catherine Coulter
9. Burning Man Festival - Nevada, USA
The festival has been described as "an experiment in community, art, radical self-expression, and radical self-reliance." Read a book that takes place in the United States

message 24: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments THE BANNED BOOKS CHALLENGE
Duration: September 1 - 30, 2014

1. Banned Books Week is September 21st-27th. Order your TBR List by Date Added and read a book that you added on the 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, or 27th of any month or year.
Bones to Ashes (Temperance Brennan, #10) by Kathy Reichs

7. Lastly, if all these controversial books are making your blush or get squirmy, read one of these books instead from a Goodread's listopia as a less offensive option.
Fairest by Gail Carson Levine

message 25: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments AUGUST: GREAT EMPIRES
Duration: August 1 - 30, 2014

Our theme for the month is empires, so this challenge is about a few of the greatest ones.

5. It was said that the sun never set on the British Empire (1497 – 1997). Read a book that is set in several countries around the world.
Perfect Scoundrels (Heist Society, #3) by Ally Carter
6. The Russian Empire was officially founded by Peter the Great who brought European ideas to Russia. Read a book where a character is unhappy with his or her life.
Fade Out (The Morganville Vampires, #7) by Rachel Caine
7. The Roman Empire (Western: 27 BC – 476 AD; Eastern: 330 AD – 1453 AD) borrowed from Greek mythology and was well known for its fighting in the Colosseum. Read a book that includes a physical fight.
The Girl with the Iron Touch (The Steampunk Chronicles, #3) by Kady Cross
8. The Holy Roman Empire (off and on 800 – 1806) was an attempt to revive the Western Roman Empire and spent most of its existence very fragmented. Read a book where characters try hold on to something longer than they should.
9. The Mongol Empire (1206 – 1368) was the largest land empire (that covered only joining land) spanning from China to Europe and fell because Genghis Khan’s grandchildren kept fighting over leadership. Read a book that a contains siblings fighting.