The Book Was Better discussion

GENERAL > Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 933 (933 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1690 comments Mod
We want to know more about you! Where are you from, what if your favorite genre, and what other fun stuff should be know?!

I should go first, I guess! My name is Dana and I live in Washington State. I moved here from Ohio 5 years ago to work in full time Christian Camping, after graduating college with a degree in theater! I love to read, especially young adult and also science fiction! I also LOVE movies, especially action movies and science fiction! When I am not at work or reading I do community theater and local running races like 5ks and half marathons!

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Well I guess I can follow...

My name is Samantha but liked to be called Sam or Sammie, I'm 28 and love Disney... yep still a big kid! Let me see... I love to travel and have lost track of how many countries I've visited (I don’t count places where I didn't leave the airport :) I’m Looking for a place to buy as NEED a place of my own with all my books. Love the outdoors but don’t see as much as I like. I've scuba dived, sky dived, bungy jumped, Skied and snowboarded, white-water and black-water rafted, ride a motorbike, caved... I’m sure lots more but can't think of anything else right now. So basically will do anything once :) Still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up! think that's pretty much me.

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments awww I wouldn't say boring! no one is boring really... just young :)

Welcome!

message 4: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I don't think that sounds boring, I think it sound wonderful! I feel like most people feel their lives sounds pretty boring to others!

And as for being younger than others here....I'm only 28 according to my birth certificate... I think it was a typo and I'm actually a lot younger, cuz I sure don't act my ago! haha

message 5: by beth (new)

beth (beth01) Yo peeps! Beth here! I live in Australia, but I am the world-wide Queen of Awesomeness. I am also a fangirl extrondonaire. I'm 12 years-old, turning 13 in May. I love Disney, and YA Fantasy books. And YA Fantasy books turned into movies. And just movies in general. Uhhh, yeah... I think that's it...

message 6: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Welcome Beth!! I love Disney as well, so you are in perfect company! :D

message 7: by beth (new)

beth (beth01) Yaay! Thanks!

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Welcome Beth! Great to meet another that loves Disney! :) where in Australia???

message 9: by beth (new)

beth (beth01) Victoria...

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany McFly (tiffmcfly) Hello! My name is Tiffany, I'm 19 and live in New York (born & raised!). I'm a Cinema Studies major & hope to transfer for Screenwriting soon. I really love to read, but I actually don't buy books, all my money goes to DVDs, but I'm always at the library taking out stuff. My favorite are non-fiction (usually about serial killers) and comedian memoirs. I'm obsessed with comedians and comedy in general.

P.S. I love Disney as well! I'm listening to the Tarzan soundtrack right now. :D

message 11: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Welcome Tiffany! I have a degree in theater with a minor in creative writing, so I also LOVE movies! I think my collection is around 300 or so now...but only because I have not been buying any lately... ;)

message 12: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany McFly (tiffmcfly) Oh awesome! I have so many movies but I don't count them because then I'll realize I have a problem! But same here, all my money goes to school, so I can't buy as many. So any special occasion that involves presents (Birthday/Christmas &c.) I just write down a list of DVDs I want and tell people to just get something for me off of it lol

But thanks for allowing me in. I loved the idea of this group!

message 13: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Glad you found the group. I just started it about a week ago so we're still growing and getting started. I love chatting movies/books though, and the more people there are, the more awesome opinions to add to the discussion! :)

message 14: by Princess7v (new)

Princess7v | 11 comments I'm Princess7v I love to read and I'm trying to keep a daily diary. I'm a music fanatic. I'm also 17.

message 15: by Princess7v (new)

Princess7v | 11 comments Oh and I'm homeschooled

message 16: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Welcome!! Second home schooler in the group! :)

message 17: by Jasmina (new)

Jasmina I just realized I never introduced myself although I've been here from day one.. anyway, My name is Jasmina (yah-smee-nah, basically same as "Jasmine"), I'm 21 and currently studying economics and administration in college. I obviously like books. And penguins. And tea. And writing. And a lot of other things. I think that sums it up nicely, haha.

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Hi jasmina! Do u like the movie Happy Feet? I watched it last night coz it was on TV :D

message 19: by Jasmina (new)

Jasmina Hello! Yes of course, although I preferred the first movie to be honest! I also recently saw Mr. Popper's Penguins with Jim Carrey and it was really good. Just saw that it's based off a children's book as well. I swear I'm not obsessed with penguins

Forgot to say, it's nice meeting you all! :')

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Tiffany wrote: "Hello! My name is Tiffany, I'm 19 and live in New York (born & raised!). I'm a Cinema Studies major & hope to transfer for Screenwriting soon. I really love to read, but I actually don't buy books,..."

Hey Tiffany! never too young or old to be listening to Disney sound tracks! I have a few myself I love to listen to and I'm 28 :)

also never can have too many DVDs haha I can safely say u will never be judged here for that!

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Princess7v wrote: "I'm Princess7v I love to read and I'm trying to keep a daily diary. I'm a music fanatic. I'm also 17."

Hey Princess7v... I have to ask, does your name have a movie/Disney reference? do you have a fav Princess? (doesn't have to be Disney!) :D

What are you listening to right now?

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments ♆Beth♆Queen of Awesomeness♆Team Pereoiconicaol♆ wrote: "Victoria..."

cool! I'm in Canberra :)

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara Edwards (idkbooksarecool) | 9 comments Sam wrote: "Well I guess I can follow...

My name is Samantha but liked to be called Sam or Sammie, I'm 28 and love Disney... yep still a big kid! Let me see... I love to travel and have lost track of how many..."

Your life is basically my bucket list.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Hello everyone! :) I'm Cate, 25, from Pasadena, CA.

I'm in love with books, Marvel, Broadway, and Hollywood. Throw in a little K-pop and we're good to go.

I'm pretty passionate about book-to-film titles. I get really nitpicky and I drive my mom up the wall sometimes when I get to my moments lol. I can be such a fangirl, as my name/header says haha. I love going to red carpet premieres also - a perk for living in LA.

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Welcome Cate! Wow what's been ur fav red carpet moment so far?

message 26: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Welcome Cate! Sounds like this group is perfect for you!! :D

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Dana wrote: "Welcome Cate! Sounds like this group is perfect for you!! :D"

:)

Sam wrote: "Welcome Cate! Wow what's been ur fav red carpet moment so far?"

The Avengers red carpet. Bar none! =)

message 28: by Diane (new)

Diane Smith | 1 comments Hi my name is Diane but prefer Di and I'm Sam's mum and have to accept the blame for her devotion to Disney. I introduced my 3 daughters to this wonderful man when they were very young and made them accompany me to every film produced and even introduced them to some timeless classics like Pollyanna starring Hailey Mills. As the girls grew I had a lot of fun searching for books to interest them and found a lot of Aussie authors to get them reading, like John Marsden, AB Facey and Melina Marchetta. I'm addicted to crime and John Grisham, Lee Child and Michael Connelly are favorites but my new obsession is YA - so much talent out there. Sam's passionate about books and gets upset when the film disappoints her. I appreciate the different mediums and therefore the limitations of film which I can forgive as long as I'm entertained plus my memory leaves a lot to be desired!

message 29: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Welcome to the group!!! So awesome that you can Sam can relate on books you like! I don't think my mom had read a book this decade...let alone the last few before it, so that's awesome you too can share that! :D

message 30: by lysah (new)

lysah | 31 comments Hello All, I joined last night! My name is Lisa and im from California. I love mostly memoirs, fiction, autobiographies but as of lately I've gotten into Gillian Flynn. I like how her characters are flawed and that all stories dont end in happily ever after. Im currently looking for another author who has a similar writing style, i am new to the triller/mystery genre. I've heard thru Hollywood gossip shows that "Gone Girl" by Gillian is in talks of becoming a movie. although I've read mixed reviews on this book, ppl either love or hate it. I ♥ it! What are your thoughts?

message 31: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Welcome Lisa!! Glad you found the group!

I have not heard a lot about Gone Girl, but do know the movie is coming out this October. It looks interesting, but it is a little lower on my to read list than others. Hopefully I will get to it before the movie comes out! :)

message 32: by lysah (new)

lysah | 31 comments I actually never intended to read it until a sales rep at Barnes and Nobles highly recommended, so I used my free credit on Audibles to get it and listened to it. I enjoyed it, so I decided to read or listen to rather all 3 of Flynn's books. I'm currently on the hunt for my next adventure! :) any recommendations?

message 33: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Always awesome to get a book recommendation that turns out perfect for what you want to read (even if you did not know you wanted to read it).

I wish I knew more about the authors style so I could compare it to other books that I could recommend. Hopefully someone will chime in here and lead you to another winning book! :D

message 34: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Hi Lisa! Have u used the good reads recommendations section? I think they need u to input a range of books u have read and then they suggest books u might like because u have read such and such :) hope this helps :D

message 35: by lysah (new)

lysah | 31 comments thanks Sam, I will look into it. :-D

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kellestine My name is Sarah I just joined the group. I love to read books before in see the movie. I try my best to do this. I belong to a book club that meets once a month and it had helped me read things I wouldn't normally read. For April we are reading the Picture of Dorian Gray. It is a movie as well. Was done in 2009. Has anyone read this book or seen the movie? I can't wait to start Aprils reading list doe this group.

message 37: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Hi Sarah, Welcome!! I haven't read the book but think I have it in my kindle cloud to read. I remember seeing the preview for the movie but didn't see it when it was out in the theatres. You will have to let me know how you like both and maybe even start up a new thread :D

message 38: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Welcome Sarah!! Glad you found the group!!

I actually read Dorian Gray a few years ago and struggled to get through it. It was just boring to me...not something I wanted to read at all! I was really looking forward to reading it too, since I heard about it a lot in the movie League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I still have not seen the movie, mostly because I could not easily find it on Netflix and the book was not good enough for me to hunt it down right then and there. But it is Ben Barnes, so really...I might need to work on it a little harder! haha

I'm interested to see if you like it once you read it all. :)

message 39: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments I was thinking the only reference I had was from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen! I love Sean Connery!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments @ Lisa - I recently discovered Gillian Flynn too by way of "Dark Places", also to be made into a movie. I really like her work.

@ Sarah - Oooh melikey Dorian Grey. I've read and seen the movie. The visuals were pretty scary!

WELCOME!

message 41: by lysah (new)

lysah | 31 comments @Cate what were your thoughts of Dark Places?

message 42: by lysah (new)

lysah | 31 comments Dana, I started a YA series. the first book is "The Daughter of Smoke and Bone". its my first in the realm for seraphim and Monsters. check out the synopsis, tell me what u think

message 43: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Welp, another one added to my reading list for sure! And I have to admit, I judge books a lot on the cover as well, and as soon as I saw the cover I was interested in knowing more! Looks verry intriguing! :D

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi all! My name is Lisa and I noticed from previous comments that there are 2 of us in the group now. I have always lived in CA but grew up in the Northern part of the state and later moved to the Central Coast. I enjoy reading many genres although I am not a big sci-fi book fan. (May reconsider if it is going to be made into a movie though!!) My favorite book/movie combo is Gone With the Wind.

message 45: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Hi Lisa! My sister has tried to get me to watch Gone with the Wind and I don't know why I still haven't seen it... This will have to change haha I do know what happens at the end so that could be why :) any who Welcome to the group!

message 46: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Welcome Lisa!! I have only seen the movie form of Gone With the Wind, but thanks to this group I am reading all sorts of books that I watched movies for a long time ago. Just finished reading Jaws yesterday in fact! :)

message 47: by J (new)

J A | 86 comments Hey everyone, my name is Juan. I'm 27 live in Texas and have until recently hated to read. I only read to get me through high school, my undergrad and what I have completed so far of my grad school. The hunger games got me interested in reading again followed by the first walking dead compendium and the first part of Dante's comedy (Inferno). I guess I'm a bit of an outlier here, but I'm sure there are plenty of construction working, hot rod driving Katniss Everdeen fans on here... right?

message 48: by J (new)

J A | 86 comments And by the way I cheat and use mostly audio books

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments J wrote: "And by the way I cheat and use mostly audio books"

LOL, I audio'd half of the first two A Song of Ice and Fire books. XD

lysah wrote: "@Cate what were your thoughts of Dark Places?"

I thought it was amazing. It's my first Flynn book and I wasn't expecting anything, really. I started Gone Girl a bunch of times but I always stop. With Dark Places, it held my attention longer and I really did enjoy how everything unfolded. I was planning to post my review on my blog today, depends on how busy I get at work.)

(Aaaand one character will be played by Nicholas Hoult. It doesn't hurt to have that image in your head lol.)

message 50: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I have so many friends that stopped reading for good after college and have never started again! I am glad my major (theater) and my minor (creative writing) gave me things to read that just got me more into reading!

Well, glad you are here J, and glad you are repping it for the guys! We don't have a lot of guys in the group, so your opinion is an awesome change of pace for sure!! :D

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19