Sumner E Period discussion

The Redbreast (Harry Hole, #3)
This topic is about The Redbreast
Blog #1

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wil Blevins | 10 comments So far in The Redbreast, Detective Harry Hole is on guard duty near a toll both with his partner. The President of the United States is visiting Oslo, Norway. Harry works in a private sector of the Police called Crime Squad, which is somewhat of a Private Detective Agency, but not quite. The way it is explained is that it is privately owned and operated, but works for the public and national crimes, primarily homicide. Joe Nesbø has written an entire series on Harry Hole, and I have already read one of them. He is somewhat considered the ultimate serial killer hunter, but tends to use unorthodox methods due to his isolated lifestyle. This is the first book in the series, i accidentally read the sixth book in the series because it is not clearly stated in which order the books are in, so i made a uh-oh on that one. But anyway, I'm fixing that from this point on. The author's writing style consists of many shorter chapters, so technically I am on chapter 17, but that is only 50 pages in. At this point he saw a man in the toll both with a gun aimed at the president's car, called on the radio to make sure it wasn't a threat, and after not receiving a response, he sprinted down and shot the man. What turned out to be a communication error, could have killed this american secret serviceman, but fortunately he was wearing Kevlar, and only had a broken rib. Harry's career did suffer a setback though.

message 2: by Wil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wil Blevins | 10 comments I think whats going to happen next, based on reading another book by Jo Nesbø, is that Harry Hole will go into a state of depression, and give up on his career. He will not quit his job, but after being demoted to a position that he sees as his boss completely undermining his obvious abilities, Harry will put forth no more effort at work. He'll drag on day-by-day and fall back into his heavily alcoholic tendencies, until the time comes that there is a serial murder on the loose in Norway. Crime Squad will try to take care of it themselves, and go to every possible option that they can, but the killer will be too smart for them. As they're last resort they'll pull Harry out of hiding to tackle an otherwise impossible case. That is what I think is going to happen based on what I know about Harry Hole. The author uses this writing style, though it may seem repetitively simple in the sense that i just described it, to create a complex maze of intellectual mindbombs that keep you on your toes at all times. Mr. Nesbø is great at ending chapters with hooks that keep your mouth watering and unable to put the book down. Crime-Fiction seems to have this characteristic overall, which is why I've been so interested in it as of late.