Fishing All Things Fishing discussion

Multi Species Angling

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gary (new)

Gary Love (gclove) | 6 comments Mod
I find a lot of anglers focused on just one species, Largemouth Bass! Fishing is such a vast sport, with many great species. And I have always been involved in all aspects of the sport of fishing. To cover everything from Fly Fishing to sitting on the bank with a bobber and worm for panfish. What Are your favorite species? And second what are the species you would like to start targeting?

message 2: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 4 comments Greetings from North Cack O Lackey. I'm planning several trips this year including fly fishing for musky on the New; chasing a state record gar on the Yadkin and trying for a small mouth, large mouth and spotted bass trifecta on the Ararat or Uwharrie. Any tips or leads to source material would be appreciated.

message 3: by Gary (new)

J. wrote: "Greetings from North Cack O Lackey. I'm planning several trips this year including fly fishing for musky on the New; chasing a state record gar on the Yadkin and trying for a small mouth, large mou..."

Hi J :) I just got in the door from ice fishing up here in Northern Alberta Canada. North Carolina seems to have a great diversity of fishing. I'll list 2 links here to get started during the week I'll see what else can be uncovered, I am back to Jackfish Lures on Tuesday. Fly Fishing for Muskie is a bold and super fun approach. Here are the links
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing/Lea...
https://yadkinriverkeeper.org/about-r...
See if you can come up with some Backroad mapbooks to find access to key areas that might hold that Record Gar :)

message 4: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 4 comments Thank you for your help.
You mentioned that fly fishing for muskies is "bold and fun". I could really use experienced advise on fly selction and casting tactics. I have no experience with casting to and fighting a predator that gets to 40lbs. by feeding on smallies and brown trout. Most of what I've read suggests mackeral flies and braided leaders.
Thank you again for all of the help.

message 5: by Gary (new)

J. wrote: "Thank you for your help.
You mentioned that fly fishing for muskies is "bold and fun". I could really use experienced advise on fly selction and casting tactics. I have no experience with casting t..."

Hi J, The first thing you will need to do is develop your casting skills. The fly's and leaders are a bit more to cast. The right rod and reel are vital also, you will need to learn the "Double Haul" casting technique, it will provide you more power on your casts. For Flys I have always tied my own. There are some great poppers and mouse immitations out there. One of my poppers can be seen here at http://www.jackfishlures.com Work on your casting :)

message 6: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 4 comments Thanks.

message 7: by J. (last edited Apr 08, 2014 03:04PM) (new)

J. Gowin | 4 comments Thought I should post an update. I'm planning the musly trip for mid september. Three friends signed on for the trip, but I only have a two seat canoe so I'm looking at outfitters. Thanks for all the help so far.