Sumner E Period discussion

American Psycho
This topic is about American Psycho
Blog 1

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (last edited Feb 11, 2014 03:04PM) (new) - added it

Taylor Barton | 18 comments "He's the boy next door, aren't you honey?"
"No I'm not," I whisper to myself. "I'm a fucking evil psychopath" (20).
Patrick Bateman and his girlfriend, Evelyn, are eating dinner with Patrick's friend, Price, Evelyn's friend, Courtney, and two peculiar strangers to Bateman that Evelyn has decided to include in their dinner party. Shortly after dinner, Patrick Bateman utters this under his breath after his girlfriend claims his kindness and innocence. This is foreshadowing of Patrick's soon-to-be identity in the fact that he is here, with his friend and girlfriend, joking playfully with them about a variety of things, and they seemingly believe that he is normal and safe to be around. But, it is clear that Bateman does not believe himself to be the "boy next door". This is foreshadowing because the book is blatantly about a psychopath, based on its title. Bateman has yet to clearly show himself as one but does not fail to claim his identity in the privacy of his barely audible words.This is also interesting and ironic in the sense that most psychotic people never knew that they were reaching symptoms of psychosis throughout their daily lives. It appears as if Bateman has a clue that he is becoming a psychopath but many studies have shown that most people are never aware of their psychotic behavior. So this raises the question, if Bateman knows that he is turning into a psychopath why would he not seek help for his situation or do something to distract himself from his psychotic behaviors?

message 2: by Kennedy (new)

Kennedy | 18 comments I stare into my own eyes for a moment. Today is the day of the aptitude test that will show me which of the five factions I belong in. And tomorrow, at the Choosing Ceremony, I will decide on a faction; I will decide the rest of my life; I will decide to stay with my family or abandon them. (1.9)
Beatrice Prior, born into the Abnegation faction, has to choose the faction which she will forever be aquatinted with. The severity of this choice is clearly shown by Veronica Roth when she writes, "...I will decide.. to stay with my family." Beatrice has been placed under enormous pressure by her family and also society. This choice Beatrice is faced with, relates to the choices teens have to choose. Beatrice being only sixteen will determine the outcome of the rest of her life, just as a student determines their outcome by the: work they put into school, social choices outside of school, and also picking a college. Pressure from society, family, and authority is overwhelming. The peers of Beatrice also bully her due to the lack of confidence with she displays when contemplating her fraction. Even though Beatrice has been put into this situation, she finds the light within a unique group of people. I think this is an important thought when tough choices and situations come along. Always strive to find a single glimpse of optimism when surrounded by an entirety of pessimism.