Sumner E Period discussion

Heroes

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mac (last edited Feb 11, 2014 08:10AM) (new)

Mac Keck | 11 comments In my book the Lone Survivor, Marcus Luttrell describes that all Navy SEALs enter every mission, no matter the odd, with the mindset that they are going to win. "And I can state with absolute certainty that all of us were excited by the prospect, looking forward to doing our job out there in the open, confident of our ultimate success, sure of our training, experience, and judgement. You see, we're invincible. That's what they taught us.That's what we believe" (Luttrell 15). In the great scheme of things is this mindset helpful or hurtful to the Navy SEALs?

message 2: by John (new)

John Elliott | 13 comments This mindset definitely helped the navy SEALs. When something is as physically and mentally tough as war, the only thing that keeps you sharp is the right mindset. If someone was to go into a battle without knowing they were better than the opposition, they wouldn't show it in their actions. But when you believe you are better you will perform better because you know you can. It also comes down to confidence. It is seen throughout all sports. You need confidence to succeed. This is seen in my book about running. The runners may start weary about the season. But they know they are training under one of the best coaches in the nation. And the mindset they have is that "it does not matter what little talent you have, if you follow [coach's] instructions and work hard, you will succeed" (Lear 31). I think we all have experienced the benefit of the right mindset. An example I can think of is in fitness class. When I would walk down to the field house thinking about ho much i do not want to be there, I had a bad workout. But those one of two times where I actually felt like lifting, I had a great workout. And that is not because I got an stronger. it was because of the right mindset.

message 3: by Mac (last edited Feb 11, 2014 08:45AM) (new)

Mac Keck | 11 comments I believe that the confidence is key to their success, but what I think hurts the Navy SEALs is the fact that even when you are going four against one hundred, and you and try and stay there and fight instead of run, it looks more like suicide than confidence, even when they are the best fighters in the world. I don't disagree that this mindset should be taught and used by the Navy SEALs, but they have to draw the line somewhere, and at some point realize that they are outnumbered. Because at the end of the day, although they are the closest thing on earth to invincible, they are NOT invincible, they are humans just like the guys they are fighting against, and they can die just like the guys they are fighting against.

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben Dreher | 10 comments i also think that the training comes in to that confidence. The training that the runners in John's book was grueling and then obviously the Navy SEAL training is just ridiculously intense and hard. But it is because of that training that they are confident, they know that they are the best trained military force in the world. They also have that confidence in each other. If each member of the Team is not doing his specific job then they will fail but if each member knows what their job is and knows that the person next to him will do his job well then they can act and function as a perfect unit. This is very prevalent in my book because this crew has to run a plane and this plane the B-24 is a bomber so it is a lot bigger than just your normal jet fighter plane. It took 10 people to run this plane and if each person is not doing his specific job then the plane cannot function. It is the same with each of yalls books in that training they develop confidence and they know the person next them has that same confidence.

message 5: by Mac (new)

Mac Keck | 11 comments "...we had to be transported right through the middle of town to the U.S. air base on Muharraq Island for all flights to and from Bahrain. We didn't mind this, but we didn't love it either. That little journey, maybe five miles, took us through a city that felt much as we did. The locals didn't love us either. There was a kind of sullen look to them, as if they were sick to death of having the American military around them. In fact, there were districts in Manama known as black flag areas, where tradesmen, shopkeepers, and private citizens hung black flags outside their properties to signify Americans are not welcome. I guess it wasn't quite as vicious as Juden Verboten was in Hitler's Germany. But there are undercurrents of hatred all over the Arab world, and we knew there were many sympathizers with the Muslim extremist fanatics of the Taliban and al Qaeda. The black flags worked. We stayed well clear of those places."

This is a pretty niave statement by Marcus Luttrell, obviously it is not as vicious Juden Verboten, a nazi murderer. The jews were not a military force invading the people of Germany, Luttrell is discussing apples and oranges, and right from the beginning of the book one can tell the Luttrell is a Navy SEAL not an author.