Struggling Writers discussion

Stuck on Your Writing? > Can't think of any flaws in my male character?!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments I'm writing a YA novel where the guy is really sweet and has a mean gf who is the enemy of the female character. The gf will tell the girl to stay away from him and that kind of stuff. The guy is really good and honest and almost perfect but there has to be some flaws, right? Can't think of any!!!

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan McElhatten | 21 comments The only flaw that I think you could try is to make him passive.

message 3: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Shriver (roxannexshriver) You could make him kind of a pushover. I mean, his girlfriend is really mean. If he knew about her being mean, but never stood up to her about it... I think that'd be a pretty good flaw.

message 4: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments Since his current girlfriend is trying to warn off another female, whether he has a serious flaw or not it wouldn't be the first time someone twisted the truth.

He's helpful to others -- "He's never there for me."

He's nice to others -- "He's always flirting with other girls."

He studies -- "He always has something else to do."

He buys his girlfriend a present -- "He's always blowing his money on stuff."

He reads to someone elderly and housebound -- "He hangs around someone old so he can get money."

message 5: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Thnx all!

message 6: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) Sometimes people try to be really nice to hide something.

Maybe he has only one dark trait but it's extremely dark, or maybe he did something in his past that makes him feel like a horrible person so that he strives to be a great one everyday.

message 7: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Thnx!

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) Maybe the flaw is that he is perfect.

message 9: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Huh? Emma please elaborate :)

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) Perfection is technically impossible. So maybe he is perfect, which makes him an outcast or something.

message 11: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Oh...thnx!

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Brenner (amandabrenner) There's always something. Maybe he's too careful with money, almost bordering on being miserly; maybe goes to great lengths to get a bargain, spending time and money in the process. Maybe he's a hoarder--won't get rid of anything, no matter how old or outdated. Maybe he's careless about personal hygiene in some area. Maybe he's a flirt and can't seem to help it. Maybe he's obsessively neat and wants everyone around him to be the same way. Maybe he's way too opionated. Just think about the traits you don't like in people, and give him a few.

message 13: by John (new)

John | 0 comments You say it's a YA novel, so just wondering how old are these characters?

message 14: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments The girl is 17 and the guy is 21 :)

message 15: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Here is a short description: The girl falls first & at that time the guy has a gf who doesn't like the girl as they r close friends and thr gf will cheat on him and later on those two will be together finally! :)

Also Asher ( the guy) comes to live with Faith (girl) as his parents died and his parents were bestfriends with Faiths parents. He comes to finish his college here ( he is in his second yards now and before his parents died he used to live in a dorm, then his mom told him to move in Faith's) and they haven't met as they lived far but they heard about each other from their moms

message 16: by John (new)

John | 0 comments Could his flaw be jumping into relationships too quickly, which perhaps could be why he didn't see that the gf who will cheat on him is a bad seed, as it were?

message 17: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Krupa | 23 comments One flaw 'faith'

message 18: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Thnx! I'll think about it