2014 Hub Reading Challenge discussion

Printz Award > Maggot Moon

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy_kirch) | 3 comments This one was hard to get into because the narrator has kind of a unique voice. It was a bit hard for me to follow, at first. I'm on 153 now, and I'm starting to get into it more. Still not my usual writing style preference, but that's why I like this challenge: I see the merits of books outside of my comfort zone and think about who I could recommend them to. I like the little sketch-story that is happening on the bottom of the pages, too.

message 2: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Birdoff (madam_pince) | 19 comments I thought this book was fantastic. It also took me a while to get into, mostly because I kept trying to figure out where/when the story was taking place. Once I realized that it didn't actually matter, I relaxed and let the story happen. What a vivid and intense book. I highly recommend it.

message 3: by Devera (new)

Devera Chandler (developyourya) | 32 comments Dang, this book was a hard read. Even when I finished reading the book, I wasn't sure what the heck happened! What country is this in? What is "wrong" with the boy? I don't know if I liked it or not. Plus, the drawings in it kinda grossed me out. 2stars.

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela Critics (quiltinglibrarian) | 16 comments Wow, this book is really intense and bleak. It took me a lot longer to read than I anticipated because it was so bleak I needed to take a break from it. I wasn't bothered by the vague location the way some people were. It's a fictional time and place, so I accepted that and went on. Part of the reason I found the book so bleak was that it felt like the sort of thing that can and has happened. The illustrations are also really disturbing. But I think they added to the intensity of the book, as a sort of visual metaphor for the story. I can't say I enjoyed the book or even liked it. But it is an excellent book, well worth reading, and one that will stay with me for a long time.

message 5: by Devera (new)

Devera Chandler (developyourya) | 32 comments @ Angela - I completely agree with your viewpoint. Very well said!

message 6: by Mokamonkey (new)

Mokamonkey | 1 comments I don't know for sure, but my guess is that this is set in an alternative post World War II England where Germany won the war.

message 7: by Megan Park (new)

Megan Park | 1 comments I too thought it was set in England after Germany won the war. When I first started reading I was perplexed as to the setting, but once I let go of my need to know I enjoyed this book. I wasn't confused about Standish's disability, I just inferred that he was dyslexic and it being the time it was I assumed teachers didn't know what to call it or how to help him. Despite the unhappy circumstances of this book, I loved it and I'm considering reading it again:)

message 8: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Just finished this one yesterday. Phew, what a ride. Once I got about 70 pages or so in, I flew through it, though I kind of was expecting the ending. I read a e-book version of this, so there were no pictures; I'll have to take a look at a hard copy to see them.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 13 comments This was an easy to read book, but it didn't grab me. I liked main character, but didn't feel connected to him. The book was reminiscent of Nazi-Germany, I guess. Anyway, you could include it in a history unit. Clean...little profanity and no sexual content.

message 10: by Lee-ann (new)

Lee-ann | 16 comments I wasn't connected with this book. Not easy to read, just not for me

message 11: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 19 comments Wow, this book really got to me. I loved Miles and Hector and hated The Motherland and all the evil and lies that went with it. The illustrations of the rats, maggots and flies was totally creepy but I understood that they were highlighting important parts of the story. Such a raw, sad book and as I read about the author's dyslexia, I really sympathized with Miles and understood what Miles and Sally Gardner felt as "different" individuals in their world.