What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Time Travel Adventure Novel

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments I've read several 'oh crap I've time traveled' books and I really enjoyed them. But I'd really like to find more of an adventure type book, but nothing terribly violent. Perhaps someone who can travel by time through choice and does so to solve a mystery?

message 2: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1199 comments Kathryn wrote: "I've read several 'oh crap I've time traveled' books and I really enjoyed them. But I'd really like to find more of an adventure type book, but nothing terribly violent. Perhaps someone who can t..."

You might like To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2) by Connie Willis To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis, it's very good, non violent and funny in an understated way. Lots of rushing around trying to solve several problems. There are also the other Oxford books (time travel by historians at Oxford) though they are a bit heavier.

message 3: by Laina (new)

Laina (lshockley) | 188 comments I really enjoyed Daphne du Maurier's The House on the Strand. A very unique take on the time traveling motif.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
^
Yeah, I was going to mention that one too.

message 5: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments The Nonsuch Lure by Mary M. Luke The Nonsuch Lure

I think this one might fit the bill but it was written in the 70's. I loved this one.

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments Thanks! I don't know which one to read first, but have added them to my wishlist. Although I think the The Nonsuch Lurewill have to wait a bit. Or until I get a library card, its £35 on Amazon!

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Sandra Hill has an entire series of time traveling Vikings. The Last Viking is the first in this series. She also has another Viking series that is set entirely in it's "appropriate" time period, so you need to be careful which one you get. This is probably a good series for a library card, since I think it's somewhere around 15 or so books long now.

A Connecticut Fashionista in King Arthur's Court (and it's companion book) is a "take" on Twain's book.

message 8: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy (backdraft4508) | 41 comments The Named by Marianne Curly

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments Thanks everyone!

message 10: by Madison (new)

Madison (madison219) | 34 comments The only books I can think of are The Last Present, A Wrinkle in Time and When You Reach Me. But I'm not sure if they are what you are looking for. Hope you find something! :)

message 11: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments I have these in my read section and I honestly can't remember them lol but I know I liked them. I don't know how to supply the links to them like the above poster or the one with the photo. How do I do that?

The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley.

Daughter of Time by Sarah Woodbury (There are more than one in this series and I haven't read beyond this one although I plan to.)

And of course Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (my all time favorite) but that has a fair bit of violence as it's set during a war.

You may want to review this list on Goodreads of the best time travel romances.
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 12: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 372 comments Mrsbooks wrote: "I have these in my read section and I honestly can't remember them lol but I know I liked them. I don't know how to supply the links to them like the above poster or the one with the photo. How do..."

Right at the top of the "comment" box is the add book/author link. Click on it to add to your comment.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (newbeginings) Definitely check out the Doctor Who books. He wanders through time and space and solves mysteries and helps people.

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments Thanks Sierra - I haven't heard of The Last Present and When You Reach Me. I've added them to the list.

Mrs Brooks - I think your reading my mind because those are the books that are making me want to read more!

Amanda - I love Dr Who, but do you find it a bit weird to read a book inspired by a tv show? For some reason I've never done that.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (newbeginings) Kathryn- Honestly for me it depends, if the plot is the same plot as an episode I would not tough it with a ten foot pole, but if it's an original story and the writing is good I'll try it. :-)

message 16: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Hoover (AJHoover) I can recommend these:

Dinosaur Beach by Keith Laumer
Time Traders & Crosstime by Andre Norton
Door Into Summer by Robert Heinlein
Time Patrol by Poul Anderson
Timecop by Dan Parkinson
(3 book series Viper's Spawn, The Scavenger, Blood Ties)
Hawksbill Station by Robert Silverberg
Time Storm by Gordon Dickinson
Thrice Upon a Time by James Hogan
Lightning by Dean Koontz
The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman
The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold

message 17: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2359 comments Perhaps Dread Companion or the Diana Gabaldon series, starting with Outlander. There's also Timeline.

You might want to check out the Time Travel group for more suggestions.

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments Thanks!

message 19: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
There Will Be Time is definitely right up your alley Kathryn. The MC is able to move through time by will power alone. And he meets others like himself. Interesting story.