GOOD REVIEWS discussion

pay for review

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 54 comments Hi Jay,
I was disappointed to receive a pay for review advert from you via this group. They are against the terms and conditions of amazon for a start.

message 2: by Joannes (new)

Joannes Rhino (sethlestath) | 112 comments Totally agreed with you on the subject. Better to do swap review.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 54 comments That can also cause problems, and is frowned upon by amazon, as people feel obliged to write a better review because they are receiving one.
However as long as both participants are prepared to offer honest reviews it can work. If a book rated less than three stars, I'd give my thoughts to the author rather than posting.
There are groups on here that do review 'round robins' I'm involved with one at the moment, its proving quite useful.

message 4: by Joannes (new)

Joannes Rhino (sethlestath) | 112 comments Well I always mentioned to anyone who's willing to to the swap to give honest review. If you know my novels, some of the review aren't that good. But, hey, I don't want to trick potential readers by placing fake review. Round Robins? I'll have it check.

message 5: by Iscah (last edited Feb 18, 2014 11:20AM) (new)

Iscah Iscah | 13 comments Best to avoid both paid reviews and review swaps. Plenty of legit reviewers who will review in exchange for a free copy of the book, and a few super awesome ones who will buy the book rather than accept free copies.

Paid reviews should be considered advertisements/summaries.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 54 comments This is the review group I use, books are allocated, there is no genre filtering, and no reciprocal reviews are allowed.
Each group consists of 10 individuals, each person receives 4 reviews, and does four reviews.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

However groups usually fill up in a few hours.

message 7: by Iscah (new)

Iscah Iscah | 13 comments E. that's a slightly better way to mix it up. But I do think every writer should consider carefully whether they are mainly a writer or mainly a reviewer.

For a writer, it's one thing to recommend books they themselves enjoy, but it doesn't seem like a good time investment to read a book they might not want or enjoy so someone else will be obliged to read their book (which they might not want or enjoy).

There are thousands of review blogs out there. Usually, if a book is up to basic editing standards, you can find people to review it in exchange for a free copy.