Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Newcastle Writers Festival - 4th-6th April 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70424 comments Mod
Here is the link to our festival on in 2014 http://www.newcastlewritersfestival.o...

The program and tickets will be released on 22nd February

The wonderful Kate Forsyth will be attending; when I know more information I will post it here!

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) So will you be attending Brenda?

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Most definitely:) I can't wait!

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) Awesome maybe you could do a run down on the even't after you have been here? :)

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I certainly will Michael. I've actually volunteered to be a helper for some of the sessions:D I have to go to a briefing on the 6th March, so that'll be exciting:)

Ashleigh, I will definitely try to see her:)

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

That would be exciting:)

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) That is awesome Brenda. I hope they give a badge that says "staff member" :D

message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Michael wrote: "That is awesome Brenda. I hope they give a badge that says "staff member" :D"

We get a T-shirt which has the emblem etc on it, so that is probably all:)

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Ashleigh wrote: "It would. I think they think we will be going to the zoo...plans may change as it is my birthday! The festival should be a good thing to do"

Definitely your choice on YOUR birthday - and yes, the festival would be awesome!

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) Brenda wrote: "Michael wrote: "That is awesome Brenda. I hope they give a badge that says "staff member" :D"

We get a T-shirt which has the emblem etc on it, so that is probably all:)"

Even better Brenda, that would be so cool. :D

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

It will Michael:) I'm very excited!!

message 12: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3218 comments I'm hoping to pop down this year.

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'd love to meet up with you if you can make it Leonie.

message 14: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3218 comments That would be lovely, Brenda. I'll let you know if I can make it. Would be nice to meet a Goodreads friend in person :)

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'll look forward to hearing from you :)

message 16: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Brenda wrote: "Michael wrote: "That is awesome Brenda. I hope they give a badge that says "staff member" :D"

We get a T-shirt which has the emblem etc on it, so that is probably all:)"

A T-shirt will be nice - hope you get to chat to Kate her books are awesome and she has a new adult book coming out sometime this year (June) based on story 'The Little Mermaid' called Dancing on Knives (title is not in goodreads yet)

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I can't wait Sally - I'm definitely going to see her, and hopefully I'll get to chat too:)

Here's her new, upcoming book - thanks for the heads-up

Dancing on Knives by Kate Forsyth Dancing on Knives by Kate Forsyth

message 18: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (sharpewords) | 62 comments That's so exciting that Kate Forsyth will be coming, I hope I can get to her session. I only got to one session last year so I am hoping to get to a lot more this year.

message 19: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I only managed 2 on one day last year (we had a visitor) but this year I plan on all 3 days - as long as interesting people are on each day:)

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

The Newcastle Writer's Festival was launched yesterday and the program has been released today 22/2/14

http://www.newcastlewritersfestival.o...

Just click on each link to browse:
Opening Night
Saturday Program
Sunday Program

message 21: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

That one does sound good doesn't it Ashleigh:)

message 22: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 There's a few there which make me wish I could go. April is not going to be my visit month sadly.

message 23: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

That's a shame Sally:( Do they have Writers Festivals in Darwin at any time?

message 24: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Every other year. They had one last year but I didn't know anything about it until the day it started and there were no authors that I would rush to see - no big names - a lot of Asian writers.

message 25: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3218 comments I'm hoping to attend the Kate Forsyth session as well :)

message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

We might be able to catch up Leonie:)

message 27: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3218 comments Have just booked a ticket to the Kate Forsyth session, so would love to catch up with anyone else attending :)

message 28: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Leonie I would love to catch up with you:) I haven't booked anything yet (very remiss I know!) but when I do I'll get back to you...

message 29: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3218 comments Brenda wrote: "Leonie I would love to catch up with you:) I haven't booked anything yet (very remiss I know!) but when I do I'll get back to you..."

That sounds great Brenda!

message 30: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Leonie, is that the Saturday session 11.15am-12.15pm? I notice she is also on at 2.45pm-3.45pm Saturday and that one is free...

message 31: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3218 comments Brenda wrote: "Leonie, is that the Saturday session 11.15am-12.15pm? I notice she is also on at 2.45pm-3.45pm Saturday and that one is free..."

Yes it is. I'm planning to come down for the blogging session at ten, and then I have a ticket to the 11.15am session (which I'm hoping might arrive some time before Saturday - I ordered and paid for it ten days ago...) and then I'm going to stay for the afternoon session as well probably. Kate Forsyth was an excellent speaker at the NSW Speculative Fiction Festival.

message 32: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

OK sounds good - I'll check things out and get back to you:)

message 33: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3218 comments Excellent!

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'm having trouble loading the site atm so will see what I can do tomorrow:) Did you order your ticket from Ticketek? I've heard they are charging fees this year, so I'm trying to find out more about that...

message 35: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3218 comments I did - and they are! Per ticket...

message 36: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Oh that's no good! OK thanks..

message 37: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3218 comments They now have an apology on the Festival website.

message 38: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Oh and an offer of a refund? ;)

message 39: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3218 comments Unfortunately no ;( After I added postage, I realised it would have been cheaper to purchase at the door, but it was the one session I really wanted to go to, and I was a bit worried about missing out on a place.

message 40: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Mmm! Not very good..

message 41: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Do you have a confirmation of purchase email for your ticket? If so print it out and take it with you if your ticket doesn't arrive.

message 42: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3218 comments Sally906 wrote: "Do you have a confirmation of purchase email for your ticket? If so print it out and take it with you if your ticket doesn't arrive."

Yes I do, Sally. You must have read my mind - I printed it yesterday! I'm planning on ringing ticketek today as well if the ticket hasn't arrived by midday. And then emailing the Festival as well, because it's probably not just me waiting for something to arrive.

message 43: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Leonie wrote: "Sally906 wrote: "Do you have a confirmation of purchase email for your ticket? If so print it out and take it with you if your ticket doesn't arrive."

Yes I do, Sally. You must have read my mind -..."

Sorry - force of habit - I work for consumer Affairs - deal with this daily :)

message 44: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I had to do that last year as I hadn't received my ticket!

Leonie, I have booked my tickets:D Kate Forsyth 11.15 Saturday and Garry Disher 11.30 Sunday:)

So you said you were staying on after the 11.15am session Saturday - would you like to have lunch somewhere with me?

message 45: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3218 comments Sally906 wrote: "Leonie wrote: "Sally906 wrote: "Do you have a confirmation of purchase email for your ticket? If so print it out and take it with you if your ticket doesn't arrive."

Yes I do, Sally. You must have..."

And the ticket arrived today :) Always nice to meet someone from consumer affairs Sally - you must have an interesting job, or at least a very challenging one!

message 46: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Challenging is the word :)

And sometimes 'shock' 'horror' it is not the businesses fault but a really difficult customer :)

Glad your ticket arrived.

message 47: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3218 comments Now really looking forward to heading down to Newcastle, hearing Kate Forsyth speak, and catching up with you Brenda :)

message 48: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Will be wonderful to meet you Leonie:) I'll keep an eye out for your beautiful starcat at your side;)

message 49: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Hey, if star cats are involved I am going to be really, really jealous!

message 50: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Oh I wish! Wouldn't that be soooooo exciting Sally! Can you imagine Leonie strolling in to Kate Forsyth's event with her starcat on a lead!

« previous 1