What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Lady: My Life as a Bitch
This topic is about Lady
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA - Girl is turned into a dog by a homeless man [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby Addicks | 1 comments I can't remember this book, but it's about a girl who is walking with a bunch of her friends and then she's mean to a guy in an alley and he unconsciously turns her into a dog. So then she runs home to be shooed away by her mom, and then finds two other dogs who were also humans at some point, their bodies changed by the same homeless guy who changed her. She goes into heat and has sex with the dog-human-boys and then hangs out with magic-hobo-guy to see if he can change her back. He can't, tells her his life story of his uncontrollable abilities and about how he turned his baby sister into a puppy when he was a kid and has been living alone so he wouldn't do that to anyone ever again even though it keeps happening. So the girl goes home and convinces her parents that she is their daughter and she wears clothes and eats at the table. But then she runs away with the two dog-human-boys from earlier because her parents just can't accept her. It sounds really weird, and I read it a really long time ago. It just stuck with me, and now I can't get it out of my head.

message 2: by Ficie (new)

Ficie | 65 comments I haven't read it, but I'm pretty sure it is Lady: My Life as a Bitch by Melvin Burgess.

message 3: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Abby, do you think Ficie's suggestion is your book?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39824 comments Mod
Sounds like the right book. Moving to Solved. From Kirkus:

"...this unnerving allegory of a difficult 17-year-old. Sandra Francy covers every meaning in the dictionary for the word “bitch,” even literally being transformed into one by an alcoholic with an unfortunate magical twist. The unflinching Burgess exercises no leash in exploring Sandra’s personality, at once self-centered, cynical, vulgar, rebellious, and highly sexed. She is concerned with freely enjoying her young life, throwing advice and caution to the wind. When she changes into a dog, plainly the lure of the pack and utter freedom of a street dog’s life is little different from the life she was living...."

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lady: My Life as a Bitch (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Melvin Burgess (other topics)