Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > Hobbies that were killed by technology (Bilbo was killed by a Semi)(Trolling vs Hijacking)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Arminius (new)

Arminius I used to collect radio station phone numbers. It used to be fairly difficult until the internet gave almost every station a website.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My uncle used to have a whole room devoted to ham radio. I'm not sure if GPS and satellite and cell phones have made that hobby entirely obsolete, but I'd be surprised if it hadn't.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I used to work in college radio.

I will remember that number until I die.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Sarah Pi wrote: "My uncle used to have a whole room devoted to ham radio. I'm not sure if GPS and satellite and cell phones have made that hobby entirely obsolete, but I'd be surprised if it hadn't. "

There was a ham radio gathering at a local park a couple weeks ago. There were a bunch of motor homes out there with antennae all over them.

message 5: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Well, there's the obvious one, letter writing, all things paper, actually... Would that be a hobby, though?

message 6: by Knarik (new)

Knarik cuting and keeping articals and pictures from newspapers and magazines.

message 7: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Knarik: My family and I still do that with special events for our photo albums.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I used to have the special skill of recognizing every actor/actress, and be able to tell you what else they'd been in recently or non. Now with IMDB my skill is underappreciated.

message 9: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Sally, I have the same skill. I love it when I recognize the lesser characters in shows when they pop up in films or wherever. K@, my wife, is especially good at this game.

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I used to be able to remember all phone numbers forever. In fact, at work my coworker dubbed me "The Human Rolodex." With cellphones (that can keep contact lists) now, though, remembering the numbers is no longer necessary so the only numbers I remember these days are the ones I need to use for work.

message 11: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Does anyone else keeping reading this thread title as "Hobbits that were killed by technology"? I keep picturing Bilbo getting run down by a semi.

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Nope. It's all you, Logan. :)

message 13: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Curse my overactive imagination!

message 14: by Meen (last edited Jul 08, 2009 02:20PM) (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Yeah, I'm totally not seeing that, but that may be b/c I never read or watched Lord of the Rings. I DID watch "Law & Order" (the original) over and over and over for like 5 years, and I have the ability to recognize actors from various L&O episodes in other things. Not that that has anything to do w/this topic.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Logan wrote: "Does anyone else keeping reading this thread title as "Hobbits that were killed by technology"? I keep picturing Bilbo getting run down by a semi."

I do NOW.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hobbiticide?

message 17: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments HAH! I was just rereading The Hobbit, too...

message 18: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) You people are SICK!

message 19: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments Does it... help that I see it as a cartoon hobbit and a cartoon semi?

Um. I blame the media?

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Is this what you see, Nools?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.massively....

message 21: by Nuri (last edited Jul 08, 2009 04:53PM) (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments OH, my childhood!

It is a little less funny now.

message 22: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 08, 2009 04:55PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Is this the soundtrack, Nools?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC73PH...

(I know Jackie digs Nimoy...your thoughts, librarian?)

message 23: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments Oh... not quite!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I don't even have to click on that to know what it is, and while I do love Nimoy, I can't bear to see THAT again.

It's a travesty! A crime against all that is decent and human! Nimoy, have you no shame?

:::weeps and goes to hide under her modular desk with a box of kleenex:::

message 25: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "I don't even have to click on that to know what it is, and while I do love Nimoy, I can't bear to see THAT again.

It's a travesty! A crime against all that is decent and human! Nimoy, have you n..."

I knew what it was and clicked on it anyway. Then, I clicked again and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQwXO...

My ears are bleeding.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!

I love that one.

message 27: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) That was one of my favorite Elton John songs too.

message 28: by Sally, la reina (last edited Jul 08, 2009 05:48PM) (new)

I love it when you people take a thread and just run with it.

message 29: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Sally wrote: "I love it when you people take a thread and just run with it. "

On some boards, it's call hijacking.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments So, you're saying the truck that hit Bilbo was being driven by a hijacker?

message 31: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) YES!!!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments The plot thickens!

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Or was it a high Jackie?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Never!

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well, I'll take your word for it.

message 36: by Sally, la reina (new)

The truck driver was high on what?

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Chocolate.

message 38: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Yes. I saw hobbit.

But Bilbo Baggins and Leonard Nimoy were run over by the Starship Enterprise with the new Spock at the helm.

message 39: by Heidi (last edited Jul 09, 2009 06:15AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sandi wrote: "On some boards, it's call hijacking. "

I've always heard it's called "trolling."

message 40: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Heidi wrote: "Sandi wrote: "On some boards, it's call hijacking. "

"I've always heard it's called "trolling."

Trolling is when total strangers come on and try to provoke an argument or get some sort of reaction, usually negative. Hijacking is when people who are regulars on a board just get carried away and start talking about something entirely different than the OP. Hijacking is usually done in good fun and is normally completely unintentional.

message 41: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Oops, I thought Heidi was punning on trolls/hobbits.

(Wait, are hobbits trolls? Like I said, I never read or watched LOTR. In any event, they look like trolls and I laughed at Heidi even if she didn't mean to be punny.)

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hobbits are definitely not trolls.

message 43: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Mindy wrote: "Oops, I thought Heidi was punning on trolls/hobbits.

(Wait, are hobbits trolls? Like I said, I never read or watched LOTR. In any event, they look like trolls and I laughed at Heidi even if sh..."

DOH! You're probably right.

message 44: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments They certainly look like trolls!

message 45: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Aren't trolls really big and ugly?

message 46: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Well, I don't know about the height of trolls, but ugly FOR SURE. (As are hobbits.)

message 47: by Knarik (new)

Knarik yes, trolls are big and ugly, and hobbits are very short and plump and somewhat cute.(or I think they are supposed to be).

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Trolls live under bridges and eat goats, I understand. Hobbits live in hobbit holes, and eat second breakfasts that involve bacon and eggs, and much less goats.

message 49: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I know what trolling and hijacking is. I was just trying to be punny and roll with the direction this post is taking. :)

message 50: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments You so punny, Heids!

« previous 1