The Great YA Book Hunt discussion

Vicious (Villains, #1)
This topic is about Vicious
The Tavern: Share a Book Review > 'Vicious' by Victoria Schwab

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tema | 41 comments Mod
"But these words people threw around - humans, monsters, heroes, villains - to Victor it was all just a matter of semantics. Someone could call themselves a hero and still walk around killing dozens. Someone else could be labeled a villain for trying to stop them. Plenty of humans were monstrous, and plenty of monsters knew how to play at being human."

I'm going to class Vicious as a book about superheroes and supervillians but whose super cast of characters don't fit into neat little boxes, despite us having two obvious sides - Victor's and Eli's. What we get is the perfect antidote to the popular superhero blockbusters of late. Not that reading or watching an epic battle between good and evil isn't highly enjoyable but real people are far more messier than that, right? And gaining ExtraOrdinary abilities, surely, doesn't cause a person to become more easily defined. Whilst this is something Victor understands, his enemy and former best-friend Eli falls into perceiving his powers as a gift, labeling himself a hero.

The central relationship between the two foes is fantastically complex and dark:

"Hate was too simple a word. He and Eli were bonded, by blood and death and science. They were alike, more so now than ever. And he had missed Eli. He wanted to see him. And he wanted to see him suffer. He wanted to see the look in Eli's eyes when he lit them up with pain. He wanted his attention."

The story is seamlessly told through constant leaps back and forward in time and are marked clearly. I love it. It's a countdown timer, at first hinted at but gradually building up the tension as we count down to the moment when Victor and Eli finally come face-to-face again after 10 long years.

The idea of how people become and are ExtraOrdinary is executed so well, and not to mention, original. Schwab takes superhero tropes and gives them her own remarkable twist. She has written yet another excellent book. And I'm really looking forward to The Unbound!

Although this may sound strange, but I've been wondering since before I started reading this if Schwab, who is credited here as V.E. Schwab instead of Victoria, purposefully named her two main characters beginning with her first two initials. It's one of the first things that hit me when I read the blurb. Could Schwab be hinting that she and us are all in some ways a Victor and an Eli? Or is she just having a good chuckle to herself, laughing at how many of us will read and not notice, and for those of us who do, at the confusion she intended? It would seem, then, that Schwab can be a little bit wicked.

message 2: by Becka (new) - added it

Becka (becka_anne) This book sounds fantastic - I am not sure how I haven't found it before already!

I will be ordering/buying a copy immediately - I can't wait to discuss it with you once ive read it.

Tema | 41 comments Mod
Yay! You have to discuss this with me once you've read it!!

alyssa | 19 comments I loved Vicious! In some parts of the book I didn't know who was the bad guy or who was the good guy. But nearer to the end I sided more with (view spoiler). I really enjoyed the writing as well and the different perspectives!

Tema | 41 comments Mod
Agreed. (view spoiler)Props for Schwab's excellent writing style! Her best yet in my opinion.

alyssa | 19 comments I agree, although I still love the Archived series :)