What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > A king(?) with a dusty kingdom - so he covers it in a patchwork of leather(?)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Libby (new)

Libby Currie | 4 comments I remember a story from when I was little (maybe up to 20 years ago). I believe it was in a compilation book of children's stories.
There was a kingdom..various issues arose and the King had them dealt with in odd ways. I recall the kingdom being at one point, very dusty; so he had his lands covered in a patchwork of leather (may have been something else).

Does this rings any bells with anyone else? I've had my poor Mum trawling through my old childhood books in the UK!

Any help gratefully received!

Libby

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments Libby, was this a picture book or chapter book?
If a picture book, were the illustrations bright, muted, realistic, etc?

Were all of the stories about the king and his kingdom?

Anything about the cover?

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2420 comments Possibly Ooka the Wise: Tales of Old Japan? Ooka isn't a king, he's a judge, but he does solve problems in really creative ways, such as deciding that the payment for the smell of fish should be the sound of money. It's a chapter book but aimed at younger kids -- I read this when I was in school several decades ago, in a Scholastic paperback version.

message 4: by Libby (new)

Libby Currie | 4 comments Tab: It was an illustrated children's book. Not a picture book as such. I'm sure there were other stories too that were completely unrelated. I think the illustrations were quite large, some a double page span - watercolours, quite bright and not overly childish/simplified. I'm pretty certain that the servants/workers were black - I may be wrong.
I want to say the cover was red, at least in part...but I'm working with 20 years of not seeing it!

Michele: Thanks. Just looked at Ooka; doesn't look familiar. :(

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39275 comments Mod
Libby, are you still looking for this?

message 6: by Libby (new)

Libby Currie | 4 comments Yes!

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking now?

message 8: by Libby (new)

Libby Currie | 4 comments Yes, never did find out what book it was!

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Don't give up, just bump this thread every few months to get new members looking at it.

Charlotte Luffingham | 2 comments This is so annoying because I know exactly what you're talking about !!! I remember the pictures ... I'm going to ask the family and see what they come up with

Charlotte Luffingham | 2 comments Was it the king with Dirty feet? They did a story time thing on Cbeebies (on the link about 11 minutes in they lay down the leather)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6heP...
May have been based on a picture book you had ?
hope this helps :)

message 12: by Mai (last edited Dec 07, 2018 07:42AM) (new)

Mai | 1253 comments If it's the title Charlotte suggested there's this book:
The King With Dirty Feet: And Other Stories from Around the World
It was published in 1996.