She-Geeks discussion

Off-topic & Buffoonery > George A Romero on The Walking Dead

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy (amykate28) | 39 comments George A Romero turned down an offer to do some episodes of The Walking Dead because he feels it's just "...a soap opera with a occasional zombie." (http://www.bigissue.com/features/inte...)

I actually was kind of disappointed that he thought that way but then it got me to wondering if maybe he's out of touch with what modern viewers are looking for and what is required to keep a TV show interesting instead of just a 2 hour movie.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good gore filled zombie death and whenever one shows up in the show I will go back and watch it again a few times but that's not enough to keep me coming back for more. Why I keep coming back to this show is because of the characters. I love watching them try to succeed in this world and I'm invested in this show because of them.

What do you guys think? Is Romero on the money or is Kirkman leading the charge for the new zombie genre standard that Romero isn't understanding or willing to adapt to?

message 2: by Jim (last edited Feb 11, 2014 01:50PM) (new)

Jim (jkmfilms) | 109 comments That's a good question!

Actually, I stopped watching the show at the beginning of Season 2 (view spoiler), because I felt like the "creepiness" factor was way down which is why I started to watch the show in the beginning. I was wanting a good show that I could turn the lights off and get scared with.

I mean, character development is important to any good story, so I don't fault character development, but the creepy factor seemed to plummet. So I guess I'd have to agree with Mr. Romero.

But there is still a huge viewing base...so quite a few people obviously disagree with that view.

(Just the zombie stuff by itself wouldn't keep me coming back for more - but it seemed to take such a back seat, that it was nearly nonexistent.)

message 3: by thalassic (new)

thalassic I think Romero has a point, particularly with the second season. I've also felt that it was too soapy with too few zombies at times. Now though, I think they've got a really good balance between character development and zombie action.

The other side of that is the fan base generated by all that soapiness. Now we know and care about the characters so we have reason to care what happens to them and that increases the suspense. So, I would have liked the pacing to be quicker at times but I understand the reasons for it and I'm really glad that I didn't stop watching.

Honestly though, I think the comics get a little soapy at times too but they're so fast paced that they're on to the next disaster before there's a chance to get bogged down by it.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jkmfilms) | 109 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I think Romero has a point, particularly with the second season. I've also felt that it was too soapy with too few zombies at times. Now though, I think they've got a really good balance between character development and zombie action..."

Maybe I should start watching again!

message 5: by thalassic (new)

thalassic Jim wrote: "Maybe I should start watching again!
"

Well, couldn't hurt to give it another shot. You just might like it better now.