Beyond Reality discussion

The Wandering Fire (The Fionavar Tapestry, #2)
This topic is about The Wandering Fire
SERIES—List & Discussions > Fionavar Tapestry--The Wandering Fire - Finished Reading (SPOILERS!)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2175 comments Mod
Book two of the trilogy brings in a very old legend and some absolutely heartbreaking moments. Thoughts?

Helen Finished last night. I'm struggling with this series. It's beautifully written, the story is interesting but I'm ambivalent to most of the characters. I keep wondering if there are too many characters dividing my attention but that wasn't a problem in WOT.

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3153 comments Mod
I had totally forgotten about Jennifer being Guinevere! I had remembered that Kim calls Arthur back to life, but not that the other 2 players in the triangle were part of the story. Now that I know, I think I better understand why I loved this trilogy so much. The Arthurian legends and the Camelot story are my favorites in all their many incarnations, so that aspect of the Fionavar Tapestry really resonated with me.

message 4: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2175 comments Mod
It's funny because the first time I read this I was in high school, didn't have very much exposure to the Camelot legend besides The Mists of Avalon, and I really didn't like the inclusion of the King Arthur story at all. But now it's one of my favorite aspects of the trilogy.

I know that a lot of readers were uncomfortable with the rape scene at the end of book one (at least one of my friends refused to read further because she said she was sick of the gratuitous sexual violence against women she kept seeing in books) but as you can see in book two it's a necessary plot point; Darien has a major role to play in the story going forward.

Mike (mikespencer) | 48 comments I really enjoyed book two. I was a little surprised to see the Arthurian legend get woven into the story, but I thought it worked out okay.