Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

Battle Royale
This topic is about Battle Royale
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > Battle Royale by Koushun Takami → Start Date: March 9th, 2014

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Please join Audra, Amanda and I if you can for this buddy read!!

Amanda | 4396 comments Can't wait to read this I have been meaning to read this one for a while.

message 3: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Me too!!! I've been searching and searching for this book!
I finally bit the bullet and bought it! I can't wait!
I think it will be a lot to talk about - I've heard it's pretty gory and pretty freaky

Amanda | 4396 comments Yeah I have heard it's pretty gory too. Will be interesting to see just how much.

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments It was a good book. I think the goriest part was when (view spoiler)

message 6: by Audra (new)

Audra Reed (365projectreads) Got it down, I will have to buy it myself. Looks like the library only has the graphic novel. Hopefully I can join that week, if not I will start the 15th when Spring Break starts.

message 7: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I am joining! Got this book for Christmas and really want to read it! (:

Amanda | 4396 comments Yay! Welcome Jacquelyn.

Amanda | 4396 comments So excited to start this tomorrow.

Amanda | 4396 comments 13 chapters in so far.

I am liking this one so far (view spoiler)

message 11: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments WOW! Go amanda! I will start this late tonight and update tomorrow!!

So glad it's good so far!

Amanda | 4396 comments 30 chapters in.

Shogo (view spoiler)

I'm hoping to get a little more done before I have to go to work soon.

Amanda | 4396 comments 57 chapters in so far.

The pace in this is pretty fast. (view spoiler)

Can't wait to see who is left standing in the end.

Amanda | 4396 comments Finished.

This was pretty good I enjoyed it for the most part. (view spoiler)

Can't wait to see what you think.

message 15: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Yay! I FINALLY got some time to read it, but I think this one might take me a while (it's so big! lol!)

but I'm in chapter 4. I'll read more tomorrow :)

Amanda | 4396 comments Yeah it's a pretty big book, takes some time to get through.

message 17: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments okay, I'm 100 pages in (I hope to read 100 a day)

thru ch 13

the countdown (view spoiler)

The firs two (view spoiler)

sections and maps (view spoiler)

school (view spoiler)

kills to date (view spoiler)

Amanda | 4396 comments I agree I liked that (view spoiler)

message 19: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Amanda wrote: "30 chapters in.

Shogo [spoilers removed]

I'm hoping to get a little more done before I have to go to work soon."

Shogo OMG I couldn't imagine either. TWICE! It seems SO unfair. How could you possibly win twice?

Amanda | 4396 comments Right I thought (view spoiler)

message 21: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments okay, I'm thru about 300 pages
Thur Ch 44

yikes, the main guy killing (view spoiler)

it's interesting (view spoiler)

so far it's pretty crazy! I went almost 50 pages with no deaths and then BOOM BOOM BOOM, a bunch in a row!

Amanda | 4396 comments I know it's pretty crazy when you go so many pages without any deaths and then you get a bunch in row.

the government (view spoiler)

message 23: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments wow, done

this one was definitely not what I thought it would be. it was just...different.

what did you think Amanda?

Amanda | 4396 comments I know this was not what I thought it would be either. I thought it could have been shorter, there were some parts that were slow moving, which is weird since there was a lot of running around and kids killing one another.

message 25: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments there was! YES! a lot of moments where they gave these HUGE backstories and I just kept thinking "who the heck is this person?"

the room of girls that died - the poison and guns and all that - I could hardly remember who any of them were!!

and I found myself rolling my eyes at all the different people confessing how much they loved another person. a few of those moments were just weird too

but all in all, I loved the twist at the end. I (view spoiler)

Do you think you'll see the movie now?

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments The movie was good but very different from the book.

message 27: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Really??? did they change the end??Hmmm...what did they change? most of it? or just how people died?

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments They changed how the people died a lot. And the back story was taken out almost completely. Some parts were the same. They changed some of the characters names. And the back story for the main bad guy changed.

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments They added this lovely upbeat video that the kids had to watch about Battle Royale and what it was. It was disgusting and hilarious all at once.

Amanda | 4396 comments I might try the movie out sometime. I agree about all the back stories, I could not keep track of them.

Thanks for letting us know about the changes from the book to th movie. I am not a fan when they change a lot of things.