Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Offside (The Barker Triplets, #1)
This topic is about Offside
Archive (Buddy Reads) > Group Buddy Read - March 2014- Offside-*Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments March Group Buddy Read

Please vote for our March Group Buddy Read! The Poll is up and in honor of March Madness and Spring Training, we have decided on a Sports theme for the book selections.

Here's the link for the March Group Buddy Read-

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

Please go vote for one of the following titles-

1. Offside
2. Fastball
3. Love and Other Games
4. Fighting For Irish
5. Spiraling
6. Scored
7. Just This Once
8. The Changeup

Offside (The Barker Triplets, #1) by Juliana Stone Fastball (Philadelphia Patriots, #1) by V.K. Sykes Love and Other Games (A Very Sexy Short Story Collection) by Ana Blaze Fighting for Irish (Fighting for Love, #3) by Gina L. Maxwell Spiraling by Rachel Cross Scored by Lily Harlem Just This Once (Escape to New Zealand, #1) by Rosalind James The Changeup (Men of the Show #1) by Rhonda Shaw

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Feb 17, 2014 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments The Winner of the Poll and our March Group Buddy Read is....Offside (The Barker Triplets, #1) by Juliana StoneOffside!

This ebook is currently free on Amazon. If you are interested in reading it along with us, please stop by this thread in March and let us know how you liked it :)

Thanks to everyone who voted! We had a great turnout of 95 votes :)

message 3: by AerinLuvs (new) - added it

AerinLuvs (anniluvs) | 117 comments I'm looking at this Notice on a iPad and it would be great to show a pic of each book or a cut and pasted short blurb of each book. I've yet to participate in a group read but I'd like to! Thanks!

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments if you go to the poll, at the bottom there should be a hyperlink of all the covers that you can click on and read the descriptions...

message 5: by AerinLuvs (new) - added it

AerinLuvs (anniluvs) | 117 comments I guess the photos loaded slow on my device...you're amazing, what a great selection of books, I like the theme a lot...but which there were some skiers and snowboarders in the bunch. ;-)

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments yeah its hard finding books like that...it seems baseball, football, MMA and Ice Hockey dominate the sports themed romance

message 7: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments Anniluvs,

The book Love and Other Games in the list contains short stories of skiers and snowboarders - and it's only .99 on Amazon. I bought it last week :)

message 8: by AerinLuvs (new) - added it

AerinLuvs (anniluvs) | 117 comments Fran wrote: "Anniluvs,

The book Love and Other Games in the list contains short stories of skiers and snowboarders - and it's only .99 on Amazon. I bought it last week :)"

Thanks for the reminder Fran! I think I'll add that to my cart! the Love... compendium sounds good!

message 9: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments I agree Anniluvs! It sounds really cute :)

message 10: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments And the winner of the March Group Buddy Read Poll is....

Offside Offside (The Barker Triplets, #1) by Juliana Stone

This books is currently free on Amazon. Please join us in March - if you read the book, stop by this thread and let us know what you thought of it!

message 11: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new) - added it

Jane (PS) | 20378 comments I'm planning to join in :)

Thanks for organising this Fran!

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments Hmmmm...free book, looks good plus it fits into the Monthly Challenge. I didn't vote, sorry *spanking hand* but I think I'm in too!

message 13: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments Penney wrote: "Hmmmm...free book, looks good plus it fits into the Monthly Challenge. I didn't vote, sorry *spanking hand* but I think I'm in too!"

Great! Glad you will be joining in Penney! I'm going to read this one too. It's been on my kindle for awhile, now I can fit it into a few things :)

message 14: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 21395 comments Penney wrote: "Hmmmm...free book, looks good plus it fits into the Monthly Challenge. I didn't vote, sorry *spanking hand* but I think I'm in too!"

Yes, free books are good! I'm planning to join in too as long as real life stays out of my way...

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda | 403 comments I'm in for offsides. When is everyone starting?

Samantha | 1381 comments I'm going to try to jump in this one as well :)

message 17: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 21395 comments Linda wrote: "I'm in for offsides. When is everyone starting?"

I don't think I will get to it the first week in March, but hopefully not too long after.

Patty (plv77) | 54 comments I'm going to join this one and use it for other challenges as well.

message 19: by Sassafrass (new) - added it

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3803 comments Oh, I have this! I'll join too. :)

message 20: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments Great to see so many participants for our March Buddy Read!

I can't believe tomorrow is March 1st!! Where did February go? For those of us in the northeast- we were buried under snow! (still are )

message 21: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 7521 comments I'm in!

Fran, either your calendar is off a day or mine is...mine says the 1st isn't until Saturday! :D

message 22: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments LOL, my eyes must have been off when I was looking at my calendar!

message 23: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 21395 comments Don't worry about it Fran, I've been thinking it was Friday all day...

message 24: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 7521 comments I'm just glad tomorrow isn't the 1st...I still have books to finish!

message 25: by AerinLuvs (new) - added it

AerinLuvs (anniluvs) | 117 comments Do we chat about this buddy read here?

message 26: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments Hi Anniluvs!

Yes, we are going to chat about Offside in this thread :)

Samantha | 1381 comments Fran wrote: "Hi Anniluvs!

Yes, we are going to chat about Offside in this thread :)"

Fran, is there a start date or we just jumping in as we read?

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I think its just jumping in when we read ;)

message 29: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments Just jump in any time during the month and let us know what you thought :)
I will put a spoiler tag at the top of the thread so anyone can give details if they want to.
Putting a 'spoiler' warning at the top of your post would be great too, or hiding any spoiler info in your post works too :)

Samantha | 1381 comments Thanks Dee and Fran.

message 31: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 21395 comments I finished this earlier this month and just realized I never came back here to comment! I enjoyed it, gave it 4- Stars. It was a a simple story, but I liked the characters and am likely to continue to see what happens with the other sisters.

message 32: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments Glad you liked it Kat!

I probably won't get to it for a week or two, but I will definitely read it this month :)

message 33: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 7521 comments I finished this a little earlier today, and I'm with Kat - good but not great, fairly simple. straightforward story, and I'm sure I'll continue the series at some point...I need to find out if this dysfunctional family can possibly be fixed! I did like that the author touched on a couple of medical issues you don't normally see in romances, sports-related concussions and early-onset dementia. I wish they had been addressed more in depth, but it really wasn't that kind of book. My one real complaint is the same one we see over and over these days, editing. The punctuation was pretty bad in places, and there were some word use and sentence structure issues that could have been either writing style or editing, but whichever they were, some of them were a bit jarring to me. Not enough to keep me from continuing the series, but definitely there. I gave it 3.5 stars, rounded down to 3 - without the editing issues I would have rounded up to 4.

message 34: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments I finished Offside today and I really enjoyed it. There were some editing issues that were a bit frustrating and annoying, but aside from that, I liked it. The quirky, overly dramatic characters kept me entertained throughout the story. I want to continue with the series and see how it turns out for the other sisters. 3.5-4*

Valerie | 295 comments I finished Offside last night. I agree with Karen H. This book was good but not great. I enjoyed the story but to me it felt like a draft and not a finished version. There were some areas that need more back story to make them believable and the grammatical errors were driving me batty.

I would like to continue with the series but I am afraid I would just get frustrated with the lack of attention to detail. In the Chapter One preview of the next book the father's name is written as Travis when it was Trent in the first book. READ YOUR OWN BOOK, DARN IT!

message 36: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments Valerie wrote: "I finished Offside last night. I agree with Karen H. This book was good but not great. I enjoyed the story but to me it felt like a draft and not a finished version. There were some areas that ..."

Wow, to change the Dad's name in the series seems like such a huge error. That does make me question continuing with the series.

message 37: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 21395 comments Fran wrote: "Valerie wrote: "I finished Offside last night. I agree with Karen H. This book was good but not great. I enjoyed the story but to me it felt like a draft and not a finished version. There were ..."

I would guess that Travis was the original name that was changed to Trent in later edits, but they used an earlier draft of the first chapter of the second book. I've seen things like this all the time, even in excellent books with good editing.

message 38: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments Kat, that makes sense! I feel better now :)

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments I was finally able to start Offside yesterday and finished it up pretty quickly. It was a good old fashioned contemporary romance that kept me engaged from beginning end. Yes, the editing errors were annoying but, I think I'm jaded because I've seen sooooo much worse. That's pretty bad, huh? It is, however, the reason I gave it 3.5 stars rather than 4. I'm curious to see how the author will make me like Betty Jo, cuz she was a total Beeotch!

message 40: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11191 comments Thank you to everyone who voted in the March Group Buddy Read!

I hope everyone who read Offside Offside (The Barker Triplets, #1) by Juliana Stone enjoyed it. I didn't vote for that one, but I'm glad I went ahead and read it for the buddy read anyway. I really liked it and will continue with the series.

Keep an eye out at the end of April for the Poll for our May Group Buddy Read :)