The Son of a Certain Woman The Son of a Certain Woman question

Thoughts on this book?
Ellen Ellen Feb 10, 2014 03:56PM
Is it just me, or was this book not funny and a bit on the offensive side?

I did find that the book was a tad long, it could have done with 100 less pages as another poster said.
Some of the book was laugh out loud. I loved the dialogue between Pops, Paynelope (I can only imagine how he said Penelope) and Medina along with some of the wild stories Percy came up with.
IMO there was just too much delving into the Catholic church in that era, my eyes glossed over at time from just too much information on the history of the church, information overload.
I would honestly give the book 2.5 out of 5 and would not recommend the book unless you were interested in that particular time in St. Johns and the goings on of the church.

Chris (last edited Jun 09, 2014 10:56AM ) Jun 05, 2014 10:14AM   0 votes
It's funny to me that the most immediate aspect to take offense to isn't Percy's lust, which I think made perfect sense and was believable in the book. However, I could sure understand some offense taken by Catholic Newfoundlanders!

I really loved this book. Oddly, it reminded me of a John Irving novel. Odd, because I don't much like Irving's novels.