The Infinite Ink Secret Lair: For YA/NA Spec Fic Lovers discussion

Book Discussion > Best fantasy/sci fi novels eva!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Darcy (nciacchella) | 29 comments Mod
What are your all-time favorite fantasy and sci-fi novels?

I'll kick us off with a couple.

For fantasy fiction, I absolutely, positively adore the His Dark Assassins series. SOOOOOO good. My all-time favorite: The Harry Potter books, naturally.

For sci-fi, I love The Hunger Games books. I cannot wait for the first Mockingjay film and am dying for Catching Fire to come out on video so I can see it again.

message 2: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Cannon (zoecannon) | 18 comments Mod
Oh, that's a tough one.

Warchild (Warchild, #1) by Karin Lowachee is one of my favorite books, possibly my all-time favorite. Amazing character study and a fascinating look at alien psychology and human psychology.

The Curse of Chalion (Chalion, #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold Not your average fantasy novel. It's slower and more thoughtful, and it takes ages to get going. But once it does get going, it will hit you like a truck. At least it did for me. Great characters and powerful underlying themes, as always for a Bujold novel.

The Silence of Medair (Medair, #1) by Andrea K. Höst Another not-your-average-fantasy-novel. A woman goes off on a quest to find the magical weapon that will defeat the invaders and save her people... and returns five hundred years after the war has been lost.

Benighted by Kit Whitfield I'm in the minority with this one - it doesn't get great reviews. But I found it to be both a compelling werewolf story and an interesting look at what it means to be an outsider.

message 3: by Shelbi (new)

Shelbi Wescott | 7 comments Mod
I'll have to think more about this, but this is my favorite book of all time:

The Sparrow (The Sparrow, #1) by Mary Doria Russell It's brilliant. I adore the way Mary Doria Russell weaves this powerful tale of religion, aliens, and ecology. And while that may not sound exciting for everyone, it is a book that has had a profound impact on me. It starts a little slowly, but I think that the world/relationship building is important to the second half, so I didn't mind it.

However, fair warning: I thrust this book at people and demand that they read it...and about 50% of them come back and say that I'm crazy.

But that won't change its place at the top of my Favorites List.