Indie Book Collective discussion

The Ninja Librarian (The Ninja Librarian, #1)
This topic is about The Ninja Librarian
Help > copyright infringement?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 126 comments I have encountered an odd situation and am not sure what (if anything) I should do. An unknown person has created a book trailer for my Ninja Librarian books and posted them on YouTube. It appears that making and posting book trailers is a major part of what the person does (I can't find any actual identification of the poster, who goes by "ToonLib"). I'm not sure whether to worry that this is an infringement of my copyright or to direct traffic there in hopes that the trailer goes viral :D There is nothing inappropriate or offensive about the trailer; production values aren't stunning but it's not embarrassing. I just don't want to endanger my copyright by allowing something to pass that should be stopped.

Anyone have thoughts/experience here?

message 2: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Holloway | 51 comments You got a free book trailer! Does it give the link to where you can buy your book?

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 12 comments Not an infringement unless they're selling your book as their own. Unless you find out otherwise, treat it as an exuberant fan!

message 4: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 126 comments Judy--part of my concern is that the trailer uses a photo that is not mine, nor part of the book (I can only hope that it's in the public domain). That's kind of taking creative license (though the picture works well). I just don't want to land in legally murky waters. If all is well, I will enjoy free publicity.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 12 comments You didn't take the photo, so you aren't liable for it. It's like all the thousands of fan vids out there for things like Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc. They're fans and they don't own the copyright, but they can make little vids about it, and if they steal images they're the ones liable.

message 6: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 126 comments Good point, Judy. I'll stop worrying :)

message 7: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 126 comments And since it doesn't include links to buy, maybe I should leave a comment with that included :D

message 8: by Weston (new)

Weston Kincade (wakincade) | 102 comments Not a bad idea. I'm sure whoever made it would be enthusiastic to have you take notice. Free advertisement from a fan. Can't go wrong there. Congratulations.

message 9: by Weston (new)

Weston Kincade (wakincade) | 102 comments Oh, and can you post a link to the trailer? Would be curious to see it.

message 10: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 126 comments Here's the link. As a friend said, it's not the music I'd have chosen necessarily, and not pro-quality production values, but since I haven't done one at all, it's better than my best effort!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnOeet...