The Agatha Christie Reading Group discussion

2014 Books > February 2014: Murder at the Vicarage

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alberto (new)

Alberto | 49 comments I've finished.

message 2: by Randee (new)

Randee Baty I'm in the middle of this one.

message 3: by C. J. (new)

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 363 comments Mod
Near the end for me... just about thirty pages left!

message 4: by Sarah. B (new)

Sarah. B I`m still waiting for my copy to come from the library. Hope it will be soon. Looking forward to this one as I`ve never read a Miss Marple before.

message 5: by Alberto (new)

Alberto | 49 comments I find it interesting how Christie altered her personality (unlike Poirot's) through the books.

message 6: by Randee (new)

Randee Baty I love Miss Marple and I love her observation that often the young and more cosmopolitan know less about life than she, the older and more sheltered. I believe she is right about that.

message 7: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) As I mentioned, I had to start a little late so I'm a little behind. Then I woke up this morning ready to read all day and I have a little bug or something, but as Malcolm knows, when you're sick it's difficult to read. My head is pounding... So much for catching up! (I think it was Malcolm that had the flu when we read Styles).
Anyway, I love Ms. Marple - so much better than Poirot. Maybe I shouldn't make that decision yet, but I'm eager to give my reasons and hear what everyone has to say when we get to the discussion part. I'll probably not look in until I'm done so I don't read any spoilers!!

message 8: by Malcolm (last edited Feb 12, 2014 11:42AM) (new)

Malcolm Noble As I've said before, read this many times because its one of my favourites. However, I have also seen the play produced by several amateur theatre groups and I'm usually disappointed. I think, probably, this is a book that depends v. much on you connecting with the characters and if the actors don't quite pull it off, they never catch up.

message 9: by Sarah. B (new)

Sarah. B I finished this yesterday and think I prefered it to the The Mysterious Affair at Styles. It was my first introduction to miss marple. I was surprised at what a gossip she was.

message 10: by C. J. (new)

Sarah wrote: "I finished this yesterday and think I prefered it to the The Mysterious Affair at Styles. It was my first introduction to miss marple. I was surprised at what a gossip she was."

That is exactly how I felt too! I don't remember much of what happened in Styles now... and plus I liked this book's use of giving a twist that kept you reading but never really giving too much of the actual happening until near the end.

message 11: by Randee (new)

Randee Baty I prefer this to Styles also. Vicarage feels so much more cozy.

message 12: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Noble Are we ready to discuss Vicarage, complete with spoilers?

message 13: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1 comments I found this to be a nice, cozy read. I already knew whodunnit because I'd seen the most recent televised remake of it which I loved. I particularly liked the little maps of St Mary Mead in the book. Overall though as much as I love Marple, I prefer Poirot. Something about her nosiness annoys me haha.

message 14: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) I finished! Are we discussing spoiler- free now? Is it always the 15th , Lauren?

Also, I will begin Poirot investiga since it is a library book and my library is very cantankerous! This will be my first time discussing short stories, but I think it will go well. I'm doing poetry in my other group for the first time (it's a challenge book on WW 1) and it was one of my longest comments. I actually enjoy WWI poetry!

message 15: by C. J. (last edited Feb 17, 2014 11:25PM) (new)

Did anybody else find the reveal a little too similar too "Styles" in a way? I am not really complaining I just noticed it was kind of like it concerning (view spoiler)
Just saying but it was still a great book!

message 16: by Alberto (new)

Alberto | 49 comments Yup. I wasn't particularly impressed.

message 17: by Sarah. B (new)

Sarah. B I have to say I was quite surprised at how similar some things were. Both murderers being arrested quite early on in the story only to be released a little later and both books had two characters working towards the murder. It was a bit like deja vu at the end. However, for some reason I definetly prefered Murder at the Vicarage. Even so though I`d say its still clear that these were two of her early books. Looking forward to some of the later ones

message 18: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) I noticed the things you mentioned Lauren and I agree also that I preferred Vicarage. (3.5 /5) . I think the reason I did was because I identified with some of the characters in this book. I liked Griselda, the Vicar, Mary, and later miss Marple. I thought it was strange that our solving detective doesn't really full-time appear until approximately 200 pages into the book. I very much like her method of solving crimes through human nature, but she still uses a little of Poirot's Method mixed in. I solved this one half way through when a clue just kept sticking in my mind whereas I felt Styles could only ever be guessed at and never really solved with all those unbelievable clues! I loved the village setting where everyone knows everyone and everyone has clues to contribute; however, this is also where the red herrings came in. Oh, another reason why this one is better than Styles to me is there was more narrative (which helped with the connection to the characters) and less clue after clue after clue, non-stop. I am looking forward to more Marple and I'm a little concerned about Poirot.

I'm reading Poirot's short stories and they are very different than reading a novel. I will say more in our side read thread, but for those who are trying to decide whether to try a few. It is interesting because the short story is more about why and how the crime is done than who does it, because that is guessed early on!

message 19: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Noble I have already commented that this is one of my favourites. I think the Vicar is one of her best characters, with very lifelike feelings. However, why I especially like rereading Vicarage is because I can always imagine Lettice doing the murder. She would have been very clever at it and, as the book progesses, I like to see the ways that Christie could have cast her as the villain. This was the first Christie I read .. and on my first day of leaving home!

message 20: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Noble Malcolm wrote: "Are we ready to discuss Vicarage, complete with spoilers?" Charlotte, if you get hold of the second volume of notebooks, you can see the original roughs of those maps.

message 21: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) @Malcolm I strongly suspected Lettuce for awhile also. I think I strongly suspected 3 or 4 people until somewhere around the midway mark or a little later! Lol

message 22: by Randee (new)

Randee Baty I think that Agatha Christie wanted us to suspect Lettice. Things really seemed to favor her for a while.

message 23: by Stew (new)

Stew Crowther Just finished "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" and finished "Murder At The Vicarage" in 2013. Although I liked "Styles" I think I liked "Vicarage" even more. Onward to "And Then There Were None..."
Stew.

message 24: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 121 comments Just in terms of TV adaptions - thoroughly enjoyed the Geraldine McEwan one but I'm keen to see the Joan Hickson one too.

I've not read the book but it'll be one of my next reads :)

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 5 comments I finished this a couple of days ago (I'm going back and re-reading some of your old discussion books). I liked it very much. I think Christie was spot on about life in a small town, where everyone knows everyone's business, and will protest that they never gossip while they tell you all about it!

I was convinced I had this one figured out, but nope - she fooled me again! This was my first dip back into Agatha Christie after a long absence, and it really hit the spot.