2014 Hub Reading Challenge discussion

Charm & Strange
This topic is about Charm & Strange
Morris Award > Charm & Strange

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Feb 10, 2014 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea O | 3 comments Stripped down, straight forward writing makes for a perfect compliment to the content. Loved it.

Allison (automaticreader) | 1 comments I did the Morris challenge this year, and I thought this novel was simply masterful. I loved it. I was so happy it won the award.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to book talk it? I am at a loss! I knew basically nothing about it going into it, which was a great way to experience it, but that doesn't help me get it into the hands of teens!

Kefira | 9 comments This was on a Mock Printz book group that I did with 8th graders. I have book talked it to them by emphasizing how strong the voice is and the question of what is really going on, what really happened…

Devera Chandler (developyourya) | 32 comments Having been through something similar to Win's abusive experience, I have to say I HATED, yes, HATED this book. I feel it was flimsy and superficial and implies that Win has a monster within him that is doomed to come out. I understand that isn't how it worked out in the end, but just to imply it really made me upset. I wish I had back the time it took me to read this book.

Jessica Schwartz | 7 comments Devera--I appreciate your honesty. I didn't like this book either and I am so glad I am not the only one. The whole premise, while interesting, ended up feeling gimmicky to me. And the ending didn't feel earned--it felt too sudden and abrupt.

Devera Chandler (developyourya) | 32 comments Jessica wrote: "Devera--I appreciate your honesty. I didn't like this book either and I am so glad I am not the only one. The whole premise, while interesting, ended up feeling gimmicky to me. And the ending didn'..."

So happy I'm not completely out of the loop in this one too. I was beginning to think there was some big idea or something huge I was missing!

Leah So, I just finished this one a few minutes ago...basically all that's going through my head is the static that you get from an empty TV channel. I'm not even sure how to process it? I mean, I thought it was skillfully written, and the unreliable narrator and the general premise were fascinating. Usually on these comment threads, you're expected to say whether you liked the book or not, but I feel to do so here would be completely beside the point. So, then, what is the point? Maybe the point is that, love it or hate it (and I don't feel either of those, but neither am I indifferent,) this book is going to be on my mind for a damn long while.

Tiffany (tichwi) Leah: I completely agree with you, this book will be on my mind for awhile.

I enjoyed this one, I know I fall more into the love it group (though I also understand others' negative views of it). The writing really pulled me in, as did the back and forth of current events with Win's history. The wolf metaphor was one thing I liked about it, because I've heard similar coping stories and have had similar experiences with the fear of some behavior being genetic and inevitable.

message 9: by Kit (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kit (kit_kirch) | 3 comments I'm reading it now. I'm pretty sure I know where it's heading, and I'm not really a big fan. It's just not my style - I don't like it when I feel the author is purposely keeping the audience in the dark, for effect. :(

Jessica Schwartz | 7 comments Amy--I totally get what you mean. I hate when I can feel the author pulling the strings. I want to be so sucked into a story that I forget about the mechanics behind it.

Marta Boksenbaum | 4 comments I also didn't like this book, however I respect it. I read it and felt it was good literature, worthy of its award, but it was not enjoyable for me to read.

Abigail (abigailopenbook) Leah wrote: "So, I just finished this one a few minutes ago...basically all that's going through my head is the static that you get from an empty TV channel. I'm not even sure how to process it? I mean, I thoug..."

I feel the exact same way after just finishing this one! I couldn't have put it better myself.

Ariel Birdoff (madam_pince) | 19 comments I just finished it. I am pretty sure I liked the idea of it, but I wanted more. I spent the first half of the book being confused, and the rest of the book just kind of coasted forward with no real climax in my mind. I wanted to know a lot more about Win vs. Drew and his anger issues. I wanted to know more about his cousins and siblings. I wanted to know more about Lex and Jordan. While I did love the author's language and imagery, I felt that it was kind of a fluff book, about a serious topic. That said, I think that this could be a valuable book to have in a High School library. It sparks conversation about abuse and mental illness, while also being a fantastic example of an unreliable narrator.

Jmrunninglib | 25 comments Though a little hard to follow with the changing voices I did enjoy the book. I thought it was presented in such a way that it kept you guessing till almost the end. -I like that in a book.